- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » NCL Announces Deep S. Carribbean from NY (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: NCL Announces Deep S. Carribbean from NY
Commodore
First Class Passenger
Member # 1575

posted 05-16-2003 05:45 PM      Profile for Commodore     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
For anyone interested NCL is offering 10 & 11 day cruises onboard Norwegian Dawn to the Deep S. Caribbean from NY. The routes will go down as far as Barbados, and Greneda. From but not a quote from NCL.
Posts: 1106 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 05-16-2003 07:58 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MIAMI - May 16, 2003 - Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today announced Norwegian Dawn will sail a series of four 10- and 11-day Exotic Southern Caribbean itineraries from New York during January and part of February in 2004 and 2005.

The change is spurred by New York area travel agents' request for an exotic Caribbean itinerary during the coldest months of winter. NCL can make these attractive itineraries possible for travel agents and passengers because of Norwegian Dawn's great speed of 25 knots -- reaching as far south as Barbados and Grenada.

NCL is the only cruise line to offer a year round program from New York with Norwegian Dawn. Itineraries range in length from 7 to 10 and 11 days, which is a completely new choice for the New York market on a year round basis.
"We have put our newest ship in the Big Apple and she has been extremely well received by New York agents," said Andy Stuart, senior vice president of marketing and sales for Norwegian Cruise Line. "They have asked for a longer itinerary that reaches further south in the heart of the winter so we're giving them a choice of two exotic Caribbean options."

The new itineraries go on sale Tuesday, May 20th with prices starting from $1,099 per person.

On January 4 and 25, 2004 Norwegian Dawn will set sail for an 11-day Exotic Southern Caribbean itinerary from New York calling at St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands; St. John's, Antigua; Barbados; Grenada; Dominica; and Tortola, British Virgin Islands. This itinerary will also be offered in 2005 departing on January 2 and 23rd.

On January 15, 2004, Norwegian Dawn will sail a 10-day Exotic Southern Caribbean to San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands; St. John's, Antigua; Dominica and St. Maarten.

On February 5, 2004 the ship departs for a 10-day Exotic Southern Caribbean itinerary sailing to St. Thomas, US Virgin Islands; St. John's, Antigua; Barbados; St. Maarten and Tortola, British Virgin Islands. This itinerary will also be offered in 2005 departing January 13th and February 3rd.

The innovative Norwegian Dawn offers 10 restaurants; original artwork by Impressionist masters Matisse, Monet, Van Gogh and Renoir, and two 5,350 square-foot Garden Villa suites, the largest staterooms at sea. The ship also features a state-of-the-art fitness center and spa plus one of the largest children's complexes at sea.

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 05-16-2003 08:00 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess that answers my question about which NCL ship has 10 restaurants on board.

CGT

Posts: 2760 | From: New York, New York, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 05-16-2003 09:34 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well it sure is a better itinerary than "Florida and the Bahamas"...

I'd like to try NORWEGIAN DAWN and I sure don't mind not flying, but with an itinerary THAT bland, I wouldn't even consider it.

I guess if it's just weather you're after, it isn't bad?

Posts: 4730 | From: New York, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 05-16-2003 11:09 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cruiseny:
Well it sure is a better itinerary than "Florida and the Bahamas"...

I'd like to try NORWEGIAN DAWN and I sure don't mind not flying, but with an itinerary THAT bland, I wouldn't even consider it.

I guess if it's just weather you're after, it isn't bad?

Agreed. Too bad NCL did not change the whole season, rather then just a few cruises.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Dolphins
First Class Passenger
Member # 2043

posted 05-17-2003 08:16 PM      Profile for Dolphins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm delighted. Love getting away from New York for as long as possible in the heart of winter. We had already booked a 7 day cruise on Dawn for next winter and wished it was longer. We will now switch to the 11 day cruise.
Posts: 324 | From: Commack, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 05-17-2003 08:45 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
with an itinerary THAT bland

Share with us, your ideas for a more interesting itinerary.

CGT

Dolphins
First Class Passenger
Member # 2043

posted 05-18-2003 08:25 AM      Profile for Dolphins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Disagree that NCL's new itinerary is "bland." I have made many Caribbean cruises and yet have not been to Antigua, Grenada, Dominica or Tortola and I am really looking forward to visiting those ports for the first time. It sure beats going to Port Canaveral and Miami though I would have liked NCL's private island Great Stirrup Cay to have been retained.
moodus2
First Class Passenger
Member # 2414

posted 05-18-2003 09:01 AM      Profile for moodus2   Email moodus2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
the reason for ncl dawn to sail
from nyc to florida is so that
people will not have to fly or
drive,make hotel and car reservations and figure out where they are going to eat.

i believe this is an experiment
for the big u and independence.
ncl will want to see if people
want to sail from one american
port to another american port.

the virgin islands and porto reco are american ports to
which you would not need a us.
passport to enter unless you
are from another country.

Posts: 473 | From: moodus,ct. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 05-18-2003 11:07 AM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dolphins:
Disagree that NCL's new itinerary is "bland."

I meant the 7-day. "Florida and the Bahamas", to me, is bland. I've been to both more times than I can count!

Dolphins
First Class Passenger
Member # 2043

posted 05-19-2003 05:03 PM      Profile for Dolphins   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The trend continues. Carnival announced today it hopes to build a multi-million dollar cruise terminal in Brooklyn, NY to enable more cruisers to sail to the Caribbean and beyond without flying to Florida. I assume all their cruise lines including HAL, Cunard and Princess will be using the new port.
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 05-19-2003 05:56 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well we could certainly use a new cruise terminal... But Brooklyn?

I hope at least QM2's transatlantic services continue to have Manhattan as their eastern terminus.

Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 05-19-2003 06:37 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Pier 7 in Brooklyn is actually a very good and very convenient location. It is much more accessible from all three of NY's major airports than the West Side piers without all the traffic hassles.

In addition, Pier 7 is HUGE and has an abundance of space to build a state-of-the-art terminal that can rival the facilities in Miami and Port Everglades.

It's also an easy turn around location and would likely cut an easy 30 minutes off the transit time from the pier to the open sea.

They also need to take the pressure off the NYC PST if they are ever going to be able to accomplish the upgrades.

--Tim

PS--Brooklyn was home to the Bremen and Europa for many years.

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
cruiseny
First Class Passenger
Member # 2928

posted 05-19-2003 06:42 PM      Profile for cruiseny     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoBe Tim:
Pier 7 in Brooklyn is actually a very good and very convenient location. It is much more accessible from all three of NY's major airports than the West Side piers without all the traffic hassles.

Well, at least from JFK and LGA, as they are of course on the same island (on which I am now sitting )... But from EWR too? (It is, of course, our largest airport, though it is not really ours!)

quote:
They also need to take the pressure off the NYC PST if they are ever going to be able to accomplish the upgrades.

They're planning upgrades? I hadn't heard that.

quote:
PS--Brooklyn was home to the Bremen and Europa for many years.

I thought they ran out of Hoboken. I know HAL did... Didn't realize that any of the big lines used Brooklyn though.

I don't have anything against Brooklyn, just never really thought of it as a place to start a cruise from, and certainly not as a tourist destination.

Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 05-19-2003 07:05 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doug,

yes, from Newark as well. I've found it much easier to get to Brooklyn from Newark than to midtown manhattan. In fact, it was usually quicker for me to get home to Lower Manhattan via Brooklyn than using the Hudon tunnel crossings.

Bremen and Europe used the Brooklyn Army Terminal piers for many years as the Hudon "super-piers" had not been built yet.

Carnival, not to mention every other cruise line, has been pushing for MAJOR upgrades of the NY terminals. NYC's terminal is pathetic!

--Tim

CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 05-19-2003 07:42 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NYC's terminal is pathetic!

I like it. It's old style. Brooklyn would suck. You wouldn't cruise down the Hudson with that spectacular manhattan view. But if the cruise lines want to improve the Hudson piers, they can help to pay for it.

CGT

CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 05-19-2003 07:46 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In fact, it was usually quicker for me to get home to Lower Manhattan via Brooklyn than using the Hudon tunnel crossings.

How were you getting to Brooklyn from Newark?

CGT

CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 05-19-2003 07:48 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I meant the 7-day. "Florida and the Bahamas", to me, is bland. I've been to both more times than I can count!

Yes I agree, THAT is very bland.

Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 05-19-2003 07:49 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CGT:
NYC's terminal is pathetic!

I like it. It's old style. Brooklyn would suck. You wouldn't cruise down the Hudson with that spectacular manhattan view. But if the cruise lines want to improve the Hudson piers, they can help to pay for it.

CGT

Unfortunately "old style" doesn't work when 6-8,000 pax need to disembark in three hours time and the same number need to embark.

Sailing from Brooklyn actually affords you some very dramatic views of NYC. Having spent a considerable amount of time on NYC's waterways, the "Hoboken view" isn't the only view and certainly not the only spectacular one.

--Tim

CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 05-19-2003 07:51 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I hope at least QM2's transatlantic services continue to have Manhattan as their eastern terminus.

It would be a disgrace to have them terminate anywhere else.

CGT

CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 05-19-2003 07:53 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sailing from Brooklyn actually affords you some very dramatic views of NYC. Having spent a considerable amount of time on NYC's waterways, the "Hoboken view" isn't the only view and certainly not the only spectacular one.

I don't care, it's still not the same.

CGT

Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 05-19-2003 08:01 PM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CGT:

I don't care, it's still not the same.

CGT[/QB]

And what type of world would we live in if everything stayed the "same"?

I guess you'll be boycotting the QM2 if she sails from Brooklyn then?

--Tim

CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 05-19-2003 08:04 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I guess you'll be boycotting the QM2 if she sails from Brooklyn then?

It would be awful and I'd be extremely unhappy about it, that is for sure.

CGT

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 05-19-2003 08:09 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SoBe Tim:
And what type of world would we live in if everything stayed the "same"?
I guess you'll be boycotting the QM2 if she sails from Brooklyn then?--Tim

Nope..but from a complete outsiders point of view, NYC is Manhattan and Manhattan only. All these other places are just names on a map.
Brooklyn??? Doesn't have too good a name; was pointed out as 'over there'. Tisn't the New York where I want to be
Pam..just kidding

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
CGT
First Class Passenger
Member # 3531

posted 05-19-2003 08:12 PM      Profile for CGT        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
NYC is Manhattan and Manhattan only

Naturally that is wrong (I REFUSE to call Manhattan "the city"), but, the ships should stay in Manhattan!

CGT.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.