- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » It never ends (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: It never ends
Joe99
First Class Passenger
Member # 3931

posted 06-15-2006 04:41 PM      Profile for Joe99     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
AP
New Jersey Sues Royal Caribbean
Thursday June 15, 3:23 pm ET
By Janet Frankston, Associated Press Writer
New Jersey Sues Royal Caribbean After Ship Sails to Canada Instead of Bermuda

NEWARK, N.J. (AP) -- New Jersey's attorney general sued Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. Thursday for diverting a Bermuda-bound cruise to Canada last summer and refusing to issue refunds.

The cruise line said a looming storm prompted the change, and contends it was adhering to policies made known to travelers.

The state's lawsuit accuses the cruise line of violating the state Consumer Fraud Act. It seeks restitution for the people aboard the ship plus civil penalties.

"It is unconscionable that consumers showed up for a cruise they paid for with hard-earned money, only to be sent somewhere they didn't want to go, without access to the amenities they paid for and activities they looked forward to, and were told there was nothing they could do about it," said Consumer Affairs Director Kimberly Ricketts.

But Michael J. Sheehan, a spokesman for Royal Caribbean, said the ship was diverted because a tropical storm in the ship's path threatened the voyage.

"The safety of our guests and crew members is our top priority, and our obligation to ensure their safety required us to alter the sailing to Bermuda," he said.

The ship was scheduled to leave on July 24, 2005, for a five-day cruise to Bermuda. Instead, passengers found out as they boarded that they would be going to St. John, New Brunswick, and Halifax, Nova Scotia, according to the state.

Sheehan said the National Hurricane Center was forecasting on July 23 that Tropical Storm Franklin would become a hurricane that would probably cross the ship's path.

"All guests were provided a letter prior to boarding the ship that informed them of the predicted hurricane and the modified itinerary," he said. Also, the company posted a notice of the change the night before on its Web site.

Sheehan said the ticket contracts as well as sales brochures specifically outline the company's ability to make itinerary changes under unusual circumstances.

The Consumer Affairs Division said it received complaints from 53 passengers who claim they were told if they did not board the ship, despite the change in destination, they would lose all their money. There were 3,600 people on the cruise.

Although a cruise to Canada is significantly cheaper than one to Bermuda, the company offered only a credit of $42.50, representing the difference in port fees and taxes between the two destinations.

Sheehan said the company also offered guests 25 percent discounts on future Royal Caribbean trips.

Posts: 51 | From: midwest | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 06-15-2006 04:48 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Of course the same people and their shyster lawyers would have sued RCI had the ship sailed INTO the storm to keep her original itinerary. There's just no way you can win sometimes!

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Joe99
First Class Passenger
Member # 3931

posted 06-15-2006 04:58 PM      Profile for Joe99     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Unless you are a lawyer or politician.
Posts: 51 | From: midwest | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-15-2006 05:02 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
RCI should have simply got all the passengers to sign a waiver, battened down the hatches and sailed into the eye of the storm.

Then the RCI crew could take pleasure as the passengers spewed their rings!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 06-15-2006 11:47 PM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There are a few ways of looking at this one.

Because of the itinerary change should passengers have been given the opportunity to cancel and receive a full refund?

Obviously it is not a good idea to sail into a storm. Short of changing the itinerary should they have just cancelled the cruise altogether?

In this predicament changing a ships schedule before it sails when danger is looming - I feel it is wrong to force passengers to join the cruise instead of allowing people to cancel with full refunds.

However if it had to change its itinerary after it sailed it is a completely different story as the company endeavoured to provide what the passengers paid for.

It is like an airline if you are in the air and a storm causes you to land elsewhere then no body cares as they are safe and will be looked after.

But if before you board you are told because of storms they will fly you to the other side of the world to a new destination and forced you to go without the option of pulling out and getting a refund then that is wrong.

In this case I feel RCCL only cared about onboard revenue rather than delivering what the passengers paid for. If the company had any decency they would have given the ones who didnt want to go the opportunity to pull out and get a full refund. I am willing to bet more than 50% of passengers would not have cared and still went.

Posts: 1055 | From: Newcastle, Australia | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
tazza
First Class Passenger
Member # 5450

posted 06-16-2006 03:57 AM      Profile for tazza     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If I was told I was unable to get a refund, I would be going much further with management of the cruise line. The 'considerable' difference in price between Bermuda and Canada should definitely have been given back to the passengers.
Posts: 164 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-16-2006 04:40 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tazza:
The 'considerable' difference in price between Bermuda and Canada should definitely have been given back to the passengers.

That's an interesting point that I did not appreciate.
You should at least put your complaint in writting to 'Customer Services' if you feel you have a valid point.

In any letter of complaint be factual and not over emotional. Always state exactly what you want from them.

[ 06-16-2006: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 06-16-2006 06:47 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As only 53 people seem to have been upset, 98.5% of the pax must have been happy with the change; or not sufficiently upset to take action. Such matters are not for courts. Why do these people always want compensation when RCCL have acted entirely within the T&Cs of the booking. As to any price differential, changing things on the spot may not give RCCL the rates they normally have for the NE ports, it may cost even cost them more than Bermuda.

No-one can control the weather, so why should RCCL take the loss? Why should the passenger take the loss? He hasn't, he gets to go somewhere else as the T&Cs dictate and what he/she accepted on making the booking. RCCL could have changed the itin once the ship had left port.. then the pax would be ranting about how RCCL knew beforehand and didn't tell them. No cruiseline can win it seems, whatever they do.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 06-16-2006 07:48 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
No-one can control the weather, so why should RCCL take the loss?

First rule of litigation: Sue the people with money!

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 06-16-2006 08:04 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Dear Passengers, please take the time to read and understand the fine print of cruise brochures and indeed your ticket contract. The carrier has contracted to house and feed and entertain you for 7-nights (or however many agreed upon.) This cruise USUALLY goes to ports A, B, & C. However, every cruise line reserves the right to substitute those ports of call, or indeed not call at ANY ports of call, should the conditions warrant that.

The cruise line is not obligated to refund any monies for ports missed. Usually as a goodwill gesture, they do indeed offer some form of compensation, and they do legally refund the head taxes paid for said ports missed.

But the bottom line is, these passengers paid for and received a 7-night cruise in the accommodations reserved.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-16-2006 08:39 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PamM:
As only 53 people seem to have been upset, 98.5% of the pax must have been happy with the change; or not sufficiently upset to take action.

I completely agree with everything you said Pam, apart from the above. People can be extremely unhappy, yet still can't be bothered to formally complain in writing. Writing letters is a hassle for many people.

I used to get a really unreliable train to work. Year after year passengers arrived late to work or late home, if they arrived at all. Every day they moaned at each other and moaned at the station staff.

I personally wrote a number of letters of complaint to the railway head office. One reply said that their trains had transported 1 million (?) people that year and my letter was only one of ten complaints received that year, so they believed the vast majority of passengers were very satisfied.

It’s like cruise feedback/comments cards – some people don’t fill them in however good or bad the cruise was.

Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 06-16-2006 08:46 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I feel this is more similar to the events of QM2 where the passengers staged a revolt.

They paid for a cruise and got a line voyage.

In this case passengers paid for a Caribbean cruise and ended up else where.

Obviously RCCL could not deliver what they promised due to the weather and that is not their fault.

In light of the fact that the cruise had not departed passengers wishing to do so should have been given the option to pull out.

Think of it this way if 50 passengers pull out then RCCL refunds them, they are happy and the rest go on their cruise and RCCL gets revenue. No major loss to RCCL and everybody is happy.

The alternate is what RCCL did do and now they have to pay millions (well maybe) to lawyers. Not only that they get bad publicity and it deters people booking for the Caribbean during hurricane season if they dont want the cruise diverted.

Everybody could have come out happy in this situation, but RCCL obviously had other intentions and did not care either way about the feelings of all passengers on the subject.

Who cares what the passage conditions state. It is many thanks to those very passage conditions that I found a loophole with the norovirus issue and managed to get a huge discount off my next cruise (no I am not giving away the secret I dont want everyone doing it). Passage conditions are only there to protect the cruise line and passenger - they are not the ten commandments and do not have to be obeyed. We live in a civilised society here and it it at least would have been common courtisy to offer the few unhappy passengers a refund. Now those passengers are showing RCCL the same courtisy RCCL showed them.

moodus2
First Class Passenger
Member # 2414

posted 06-16-2006 09:31 AM      Profile for moodus2   Email moodus2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
cruise line company comes first,paying passengers comes
second.
maybe that is why bookings during the hurricane season is
low and cruise lines are having to reduce fares to lure
people to book. giving reasons
such as they can cruise around
hurricanes due to speed of the
cruiseships.etc.
stocks are down for ccl and rcl because of price of fuel and low bookings. passengers
are getting smarter.

Posts: 473 | From: moodus,ct. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 06-16-2006 09:35 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The problem with offering a 'cancel & refund' choice is that you have to offer it to all passengers; otherwise those who have not been so offered have a very good case indeed that they were discriminated against. And I'm willing to bet that, standing at the quayside, just after you've learned that the cruise you've been looking forward to will be radically altered, with an offer of a full refund available, an awful lot of passengers would take it. Then the ship sails - half full? maybe less? - and the cruise line loses a load of cash. They just can't do that.

The fact is that the contract with the cruise line doesn't make any promises at all as where the cruise will take you.

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
LP
Just Boarded
Member # 3705

posted 06-16-2006 09:56 AM      Profile for LP   Email LP   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It always amazes me how many people book cruises during hurricane season, then pout and act like children when the ship can't safely take them where they were expecting to go. And, it's not like we're living in a vacuum when it comes to weather forecasting: do they not watch the weather on TV or check weather sites on the Internet, or have friends that do? Some years ago, I was on a Western Caribbean cruise when ships on itineraries to ports in the Eastern Caribbean were showing up in our ports. Yes--there was a storm in the Eastern Caribbean, and yes, I heard passengers from those ships complaining because they'd already been to dry, sunny Cozumel. Some people are happiest being miserable and complaining.
Posts: 5 | From: Eagan, MN | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frosty 4
First Class Passenger
Member # 5826

posted 06-16-2006 10:44 AM      Profile for Frosty 4   Email Frosty 4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Personally if the itinerary was changed due to a safety factor I'm all for it. Who would want to be put in jeopardy and probably would be miserably sick due to sea state and once there the weather would also be poor.
Read the fine print in the contract!! Cruise lines are now really trying to cover all bases on what could possibly change things!!
Canada and New England is a fine itinerary especially in the Fall for the colors. I think Bermuda would get a little boring after being there for the majority of the cruise. Look at the cruise lines that go there and how many days they visit the 2 ports on the island. I hear it's expensive there as well.
We considered a cruise there because of the short air trip to the East coast-2 hours from Chicago.
We opted to do the Western Europe trip(10/06 )even though its 6 times longer for the flight. IMHO there are always those who look for any way to get $$$$$$
Frosty 4

Posts: 2531 | From: Illinois | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Joe1690
First Class Passenger
Member # 4889

posted 06-16-2006 06:10 PM      Profile for Joe1690     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What I want to know is where consumer affairs from New Jersey got their information and this is coming from a New Jersey resident. I think there are 3 important issues to addres. The first is that the consumer affairs people seem to think that cruises to Canada/New England are significantly cheaper then cruises to Bermuda. This may be the case but can't be proven since RCCL does not sail to Canada New England during the summer season which is considered high season. In addition, one can't use Carnival fares because they are a different cruiseline that charges different prices from RCCL on average. Secondly, I like the fact that consumer affairs fails to mention the fact that RCCL gave passengers a 25% future cruise credit which if not utilized obviously is worthless but if used offers a decent savings. Thirdly, as consumer affairs seems to think is reasonable as well as some other CruiseTalk members like Sutho that RCCL should have offered a complete refund on the cruise to anyone interested before they embarked. This suggestion, I think is ludicrous for a myriad of reasons. First off, if you are offered a complete refund for your cruise then what about passengers who had to cancel the cruise in advance due to mitigating circumstances like death in the family, medical concerns, or just plain not wanting to go. If these passengers did not purchase cruise insurance they would be out the money but suddenly passengers who had stuck to the cruise without really wanting to go get their moneyback. Secondly, these short Bermuda cruises attract a lot of first time cruisers and thus anyone having second thoughts about a cruise would be able to back out without any financial obligation on their end. On the otherhand many of these first time cruisers once exerpiencing a cruise will probably become lifelong cruisers. So the cruiseline loses money and has to market more heavily to get these customers to come back. Thirdly, RCCL still has costs involved and staff that are paid based on gratuities mainly that also would feel the impact from many passengers choosing to cancel. So it is not RCCL's greed but rather the reality that there cruise contract says they can change the ports of call as necessary without notice.

Also, I would like to point out that RCCL did not capriciously change the sailing but rather rerouted the ship due to a hurricane which was forecast to hit Bermuda. Also, I like the way consumer affairs says that customers could not use many of the amenities they planned on using because of the rerouting of the ship. The list included the cooler temperatures in Canada which prevented customers from using the pool, the mini golf course, the rock climbing wall and other outdoor amenities. Gee, I guess if RCCL sailed to Bermuda as planned these customers would have gotten the wonderful sunshine and amenities that they were deprived of due to RCCL's negligence. Afterall, these customers would have enjoyed nice sunshine in hurricane force winds with rain coming down on them. Sounds like they were truly deprived of these amenities. ALso, I guess anytime it rains we should go complain to New Jersey consumer affairs because in the RCCL brochures they only show sunny weather and customers soaking up the sun. I guess RCCL is now responsible for the weather as well. Also, consumer affairs mentioned that customers couldn't enjoy the shore excursions they had planned like glass bottom boat adventures, golf, etc. However, if RCCL had done the right thing and let customers cancel or sailed right into the hurricane suddenly these passengers would have enjoyed these amenities.

When all is said and done, the cruiselines publish itineraries but now mainly focus on the ship as the destination. As such, I firmly believe this consumer affairs complaint and investigation is just plain stupid. It is like saying that anytime there is construction at a hotel that customers should get a refund because not all of the amenities are available. Lets be honest, most hotels do jack squat for customers when they are refurbishing the hotel and often don't even disclose it to customers.

As much as I am looking forward to sailing from Bayonne this summer on RCCL, I can safely say that if RCCL pulls out and makes Baltimore their new Bayonne I will not shed a tear because I know that RCCL can't survive as a company when you have idiotic politicians who want to run a company that has no control over the weather. Customers enjoyed the amenities offered on the ship which was what they paid for and thus should be happy. Seasoned cruisers understand that itineraries need to be changed for a myriad of reasons and quite frankly if consumer affairs did some searching they would understand why RCCL offered the choice of itineraries they did. It isn't exactly like in 5 nights you can get to the carribbean from Bayonne and you can't stop at ports along the coast of the Eastern US because of the Passenger service act so the only other option would have been 5 days at sea and quite frankly I am sure more customers would have been upset about this choice then going to Canada/New England.

Posts: 87 | From: King of Prussia, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 06-16-2006 07:49 PM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Who is protecting the paying passengers here. Some may have been to Canada/New England and it would have been a wasted trip.

Those passengers paid for a Caribbean cruise and RCCL could not deliver - not their fault - but still if it cant deliver on its proposed holidays then they should offer a refund.

It is entirely different for people who cancel a week or two before for other reasons. That is their problem and just bad luck - hopefully they had a good insurance policy.

Cunsumers have rights to and in this situation I feel that RCCL did not give any passengers any opportunites.

I do not believe that all passengers would have taken the full refund. They got time off work and would have had to do something.

How would passengers on QM2 feel if Cunard kept operating the ship skipping all the ports when that pod broke?

The fact is here that RCCL changed the itinerary PRIOR to the cruise sailing. BIG MISTAKE. If they had changed it after it had sailed and tried to go to the Caribbean then the passage conditions would protect them.

As the did it the way they did they are now open to all sorts of legal action and I hope RCCL lose big time here.

It is like an airline if you are in the air and a storm causes you to land elsewhere then no body cares as they are safe and will be looked after.

But if before you board you are told because of storms they will fly you to the other side of the world to a new destination and forced you to go without the option of pulling out and getting a refund then that is wrong.

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 06-16-2006 07:55 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wasn't this precisely the issue with the QM2 pod failure - that Cunard changed the itinerary without telling the passengers BEFORE leaving?
Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-16-2006 08:06 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ernst:
Wasn't this precisely the issue with the QM2 pod failure - that Cunard changed the itinerary without telling the passengers BEFORE leaving?

Without wishing to cover old ground, the QM2 'cruise' became a 'line voyage', a very different experience to the mor epeople had booked.

[ 06-17-2006: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

moodus2
First Class Passenger
Member # 2414

posted 06-16-2006 09:23 PM      Profile for moodus2   Email moodus2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
since bookings are down for the hurricane season and passengers know that the cruise can be altered becauuse
it says so in the one way company contract, then why are
the cruise lines trying to sucker the paying passengers with lower fares?

Posts: 473 | From: moodus,ct. | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Joe1690
First Class Passenger
Member # 4889

posted 06-16-2006 11:13 PM      Profile for Joe1690     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sutho, you are incorrect when you say that the passengers paid for a carribbean cruise and RCCL could not deliver. What RCCL advertised was a 5 night cruise on the Voyager of the Seas with the intention of going to Bermuda according to their cruise contract. They gave the passenger a 5 night cruise from Cape Liberty just like they promised on the Voyager of the Seas with all ammenities open and available. Sure passengers went to Canada/New England rather then Bermuda but that was do to weather and was not the main selling point of the cruise seeing as the only fees the passengers paid to enjoy bermuda were the port taxes and those were properly refunded. You can say that RCCL did not offer what they promised but in my opinion they did offer exactly what they promised. They gave passengers approximately the same amount of time in port as they would have had in Bermuda and all of the amenities promised. On the other hand customers had much more reason to be upset with Cunard because they promised X nights on the QM2 with Y amount of time in port. They only delivered on X but not Y. I still think the customer complaints against Cundard were unjustified but that is just my opinion. Also, Sutho you say that RCCL should be hit hard because they alerted some customers via their website the night before rather then making the decision after sailing. You think it would have been better if the decision was made after sailing. If RCCL had made the corporate decision prior to sailing but only disclosed it after sailing they would have been in even deeper water. Also, it can't be expected that RCCL would contact all customers on a saturday night after 7:00pm to let them know they were going to Canada for a cruise that departs on a sunday at 5:00pm. Lets be real, customers would complain that RCCL woke them up at midnight, others would complain they weren't informed because they had already begun their travel and were not at home, etc. This complaint by the attorney general is baseless and will more then likely lose. Oh, and for anyone having read the actual complaint which is 12 pages long, it says that the customers had significantly cooler weather then in Bermuda yet the temperature was only about 3 degrees cooler in Canada/New England then in Bermuda on those particular days. So the attorney general better start doing more research before they file these types of stupid complaints or the whole New Jersey tourist industry will no longer exist because people will be suid every time it rains, there is snow, or other types of inclement weather.
Posts: 87 | From: King of Prussia, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 06-16-2006 11:34 PM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I still think that consumers must be protected. It all depends on the point of view on what RCCL is trying to market.

They cant just offer a cruise/holiday on one of their ships and say that is exactly what they are trying to sell when the ship moves to different destinations.

The destinations is part of the holiday package, and they bought that package on the basis that bermuda was the proposed destination included in that package.

I doubt that every passenger would have wanted to pull out of the cruise. RCCL should have had some sort of contingency plans to be able to cater to the few passengers that didnt want to proceed due to the change.

A change of destination is a signifigant change in ones holiday.

Besides State and Federal laws governing cunsumer laws override any contracts companies have with consumers operating in that state or country.

If RCCL is going to be in the business of offering cruise holidays and having destinations included in that holiday then in my opinion they have to be prepared to face the concequences should something go wrong.

Why should the passengers alone be penalised, and the cruise line get away with the upper hand despite the fact it was neither of their faults about the weather.

If RCCL does not want lawsuits which is inevitable when you are dealing with concumers then they should not be operating a cruise line.

This is just life, why should the rules be different to protect companies over the rights of consumers.

Tim in Fort Lauderdale
First Class Passenger
Member # 953

posted 06-17-2006 12:05 AM      Profile for Tim in Fort Lauderdale     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sutho,

so what you are saying is that RCCL should now be held responsible, financially and legally, for Acts of God?

So, let's say I order a brochure from the Australian Tourist Board and it is filled with photos depicting sun-splashed scenery, binini-filled beaches, koalas and kanagroos. And then I go to the Hyatt website and book all my hotels. All the photos of the Hyatts in Australia are sunny, cheery pitcures. And the Qantas website shows the plane flying in a sunny, clodless sky.

I book a holiday and fly down. It is rainy, cold and miserable the entire time there. There is no sun outside my hotel window. All the koalas and kangaroos are in hiding due to the torrential rains and I don't see a one. And, I can't climb the Sydney Harbor Bridge. My vacation is a miserable flop.

Therefore, the Australian Tourist Board, Hyatt and Qantas are all to be held responsibe for the weather. I didnt recieve what was depicted in the brochure photos. They should all reimburse me and pay damages for my pain and suffering because they could not provide sunny weather. I did NOT get the destination or experience I paid for.

If you say this is not what you are advocating, you had better just delete your most recent post.

--Tim

Posts: 1468 | From: Fort Lauderdale, FL | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Sutho
First Class Passenger
Member # 6234

posted 06-17-2006 12:35 AM      Profile for Sutho   Email Sutho   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
No why should a company be protected against acts of God and the consumer suffer? No one is to blame.

If you prefer maybe the world should revert to living under Hitler's nazi regeime, or even better Communist Russia!, maybe even Islamic Sharia law where under all three no one has any rights!

We have freedom in our society to do what we want and if we feel justified seek compensation, and our society is an excellent place to have such rights.

I believe you misread my arguement. RCCL and the passeners could have all been happy if RCCL had done better planning. They are in business selling holidays and have to be held somewhat responsible if they cant deliver.

I dont know what garbage that is about above and it is completely irrelevant to the RCCL issue.

NOT ONCE DID I SAY RCCL SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THE WEATHER!!!!!

My arguement was that they sold a cruise package that included Bermuda as the itinerary. Like it or not Bermuda was part of the package they tried to sell. They could not deliver and they did offer an alternate cruise which is good. HOWEVER RCCL SHOULD HAVE HAD OTHER OPTIONS AVAILABLE IN THE EVENT THAT SOME WANTED TO PULL OUT OF GOING.

IT IS ALRIGHT FOR RCCL TO CHANGE THE ITINERARY BUT NOT ALRIGHT FOR THE PASSENGER TO CHANGE THEIR MIND WHEN DISASTER LOOMS?

MY ARGUMENT IS ABOUT EQUAL OPPORTUNITY FOR COMPANY AND CONSUMER. EVERYBODY COULD HAVE BEEN MADE HAPPY.

My arguement has nothing to do with the nonsensicle, obsurd, unintelligent attempt to argue against my statement with something completely different.

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.