- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Oceania Cruises is offering more than a dozen immersive explorations of Alaska in 2025, taking travelers beyond typical tourist sights to discover the unique perspectives, local culture, soaring glaciers, and pristine wilderness of "The Last Frontier." An Oceania Cruises first, the 1,250-guest Riviera will sail her first season in Alaska making her the first...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed "Revolution: A Celebration of Prince" and "Elements: The World Expanded" as the two new exclusive entertainment offerings set to debut aboard the Company's next-generation vessel, Norwegian Aqua, in April 2025. For decades, NCL has set the standard in entertainment at sea, with worldclass productions and talent....

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line today announced a wide variety of new 2026/27 cruises from both the east and west coasts of the U.S. The new sailings opening today feature popular destinations from the homeports of Miami, Port Canaveral and Norfolk as well as cruises to Alaska and Mexico from San Francisco. “In addition to extending our successful deployment schedules in Miami, Port Canaveral and Norfolk...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Alaska Cruise - Which cruise line to use??

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Alaska Cruise - Which cruise line to use??
MissCruiseFan
Just Boarded
Member # 8039

posted 12-05-2006 07:34 AM      Profile for MissCruiseFan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi
I've only ever been on one cruise before. It was a Spanish Splendour cruise earlier this year that was a Southampton return aboard the Sea Princess.
These days there are so many cruise lines out there that it is so difficult to chose from.

We're 3 couples in our 40's that would like to do a 7 night Alaska Gulf cruise in Jul, Aug or Sep '07.

How do we go about looking for a suitable cruise line?

Posts: 1 | From: South Africa | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 12-05-2006 08:06 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Welcome aboard MissCruiseFan.

A difficult question! I'm sure you know that the different lines have different atmospheres and cater for different types of passengers. Some offer a more upscale experience, some are strictly mass-market. There is also the price to consider and some ships are a little newer than others, although most are pretty big these days.

I guess from your ages that you are not looking for a fun/family orientated ‘party crowd’, so you can rule out the Carnival Cruise Line. That’s one down.

The major players are: Royal Caribbean, Norwegian Cruise Line, Princess, Celebrity and Holland America. All are pretty good at what they do, but very different.

Did you like the Princess experience?

I’m sure our Cruisetalkers will assist you, but do look at our many ‘Readers Reviews’, menu left

[ 12-05-2006: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Maasdam
First Class Passenger
Member # 3858

posted 12-05-2006 08:16 AM      Profile for Maasdam   Author's Homepage   Email Maasdam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would recomment you Holland America ore Princess. Both are the biggest players in Alaska.
Wich i prefer HAL. But i reed you sail before with Princess i would say if you have a good experiance go with Princess.

Greetings Ben.

Posts: 4695 | From: Rotterdam home of the tss. Rotterdam. | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jeffrossatsea
First Class Passenger
Member # 2962

posted 12-05-2006 01:14 PM      Profile for jeffrossatsea   Email jeffrossatsea   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MY CHOICE WOULD BE CELEBRITY AS THE MERCURY IS NOW SAILING OUT OF VANCOUVER AND THE INTRO PRICES ARE GOIN PRETTY CHEAP....JEFF
Posts: 1118 | From: vancouver | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-05-2006 02:13 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think much of your choice depends on whether you just want a cruise, or a cruise/tour. Cruise/tours are very popular in Alaska as you get to see the interior as well. Alaska is quite a distance for most people and usually a one time thing. It would be unfortunate to go all that distance and not see as much as you possibly can.

If you are just taking a cruise, then Princess, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, NCL, Regal, Carnival, and Holland America are your main choices. I would pick the line that is best suited to your individual style as they all offer similar itineraries.

If you opt for a cruise/tour, then Holland America and Princess are truly the leaders and have the most experience. Each of these lines not only offers their own rail cars but operate their own lodges and motor coaches as well. Since HAL and Princess are both owned by Carnival Corp., they do share some of the same ground services while in Alaska. I don't think you can go wrong with either line.

For me personally, I would probably go with Princess. I think recently they have overtaken HAL as the leader in Alaska. The Princess lodges are quite spectacular and probably the best in Alaska. The same goes for their rail cars which have a greater view area in the dome cars and even an outdoor platform. A negative is the Princess ships are much larger than HAL and HAL probably has a more refined shipboard experience at the same price point.

Good luck with your decision. Alaska is a spectacular destination and I was in awe with the beauty and wildlife. Unfortunately many of the cruise ports have become so commercialized they are starting to look like St. Thomas complete with the same stores and crap. It's one reason I think it's important to look beyond the port cities and take a cruise/tour to see what Alaska is truly about.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tim Agg
First Class Passenger
Member # 3185

posted 12-05-2006 10:25 PM      Profile for Tim Agg     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A first time Alaska cruise merits some research before you book, to match the line, ports and routes with your tastes and interests - all can be fully rewarding. If possible, select a line and ship that visits Glacier Bay - it's the "gold standard" and access is restricted. Don't worry about the weather - it is always "variable." Don't be surprised if one Alaska cruise is not enough - after five, I still look forward to more.
Posts: 365 | From: Vancouver BC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 12-05-2006 11:22 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Previous discussions on this subject.

Best time to go to Alaska?

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Peace2u
Just Boarded
Member # 8009

posted 12-17-2006 09:52 PM      Profile for Peace2u   Author's Homepage   Email Peace2u   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hubby and I will probably go on Celebrity for our Alaska cruise. I like the ports and the fact that there aren't alot of younger people.
Posts: 4 | From: Kissimmee, FL | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 12-17-2006 10:35 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Peace2u:
Hubby and I will probably go on Celebrity for our Alaska cruise. I like the ports and the fact that there aren't alot of younger people.

I don't think you need to worry about an influx of younger people on ANY Alaska cruise you book (including Carnival). Alaska cruises tend to attract a very "mature" demographic. These are far from the party cruises you find in the Caribbean and Mexico.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 12-18-2006 07:20 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Celebrity has deployed the Infinity and the Summit: their newest and largest ships during August of 2007. There are Vancouver round trips and one way from Seward to Vancouver. There is one sea day the entire cruise. What I do not look forward to is a 12 hour flight from the East Coast of the United States.
Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Tim Agg
First Class Passenger
Member # 3185

posted 12-18-2006 11:27 PM      Profile for Tim Agg     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The best way to deal with the long flight is to break it up, so why not give yourself some Seatlle & Vancouver time before and after?
Posts: 365 | From: Vancouver BC | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
aureol
First Class Passenger
Member # 6952

posted 12-19-2006 02:33 AM      Profile for aureol     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
IMHO the only way to see Alaska was from the decks of the beautiful old Princess Patricia in the day when very few other ships called there and the towns were unique and not crowded out be thousands upon thousands of cruise passengers. I haven't quite forgiven Canadian Pacific for pulling her from service in 1981.
Posts: 11 | From: Asia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.