- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Celebrity orders fifth Solstice (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Celebrity orders fifth Solstice
Atlcruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 4586

posted 02-18-2008 10:39 PM      Profile for Atlcruiser   Email Atlcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I did not see this posted.

http://www.meyerwerft.de/page.asp?lang=e&main=3&subs=0&did=1535

Celebrity Cruises orders fifth Solstice-Class Ship

Papenburg, 15 February 2008 - The US cruise operator Celebrity Cruises (Miami), a subsidiary of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd, has ordered a fifth big cruise liner from MEYER WERFT in Papenburg. The previous contracts for four ships of the Solstice class are now followed by a pre-contract for the construction of a fifth cruise ship.

Delivery of the fifth ship is scheduled for the autumn of 2012. The first ship of this class, the Celebrity Solstice, will be delivered in the autumn this year. The other ships will follow at one-year intervals each.

The 122,000-gt ships for Celebrity Cruises will have a length overall of 315 m and a breadth of 36.8 m. 2,850 passengers will be accommodated in 1,425 cabins. All standard cabins will offer more space than is usual for this type. More than 90% of all cabins are outside cabins, 90% of which have their own balconies. Other architectural highlights of the new ship will be the "Lawn Club" featuring natural lawn, the "Corning Museum of Glass" where the art of glassblowing is presented, and a couple of different restaurants.

"We really appreciate that we will build one more of these innovative cruise ships for Celebrity Cruises" says Bernard Meyer. "This type of ship features extremely energy-efficient and eco-friendly systems."

MEYER WERFT already built five cruise ships for Celebrity Cruises in the early and mid-1990s.

Posts: 916 | From: Atlanta | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 02-18-2008 10:48 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Although I prefer five SOLTICE-class ships over five CARNIVAL DESTINY (et. al), is it wrong to be optimistic whether Celebrity can fill them all along with the MILLENIUM-class?

[ 02-18-2008: Message edited by: Waynaro ]

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 02-19-2008 12:46 AM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
And here I was thinking four was a lot!

I'm glad to see that Royal Caribbean is so confident in Celebrity, but five huge ships, when the first one isn't even finished yet, is almost unprecedented.

I think RCCL must be counting on using some of Celebrity's older tonnage for other brands in the not-too-distant future.

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 02-19-2008 12:51 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well they seem confident that these ships will do well for them.

I suspect that before long Mercury and Galaxy will be transferred out of the fleet, Century will continue with her shorter cruises perhaps or she too may be transferred out. That would leave them with 5 Solstice class and 4 Millenium class ships plus the Xpedition. I do hope they take some of the features of the new ships and incorporate them in to the Millenium class (even maybe the lawn club but certainly an additional restaurant etc) and stanardise the livery across all of them, the Millenium ships would then almost be as new. I can't see Celebrity needing more than 9/10 ships ? If they did the upgrades and focused on recapturing their foodie reputation they would be able to charge higher fares.

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Joe1690
First Class Passenger
Member # 4889

posted 02-19-2008 01:16 AM      Profile for Joe1690     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would imagine that Galaxy and or Mercury will be transferred to the new TUI venture or if azamara is a strong success perhaps one of these ships will be transferred to them. Either way I do not see Celebrity operating 12 ships plus the expedition fleet. While I would love for them to grow in size as Princess did so they could offer more varied itineraries I just don't think this will happen in the short term. It seems like RCL orders ships in spurts for Celebrity like they did with the Millennium Class and now Solstice. It is nice to see them investing in Celebrity since they haven't had any newbuilds in the last 6 years.

On a side note I am still trying to figure out why RCL has not grown their Island Cruises joint venture beyond the Island Escape and Island Star. I would have expected the line to do quite well and RCl to be very interested in expanding into the British and international market.

Posts: 87 | From: King of Prussia, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-19-2008 04:47 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dougnewman:
..but five huge ships, when the first one isn't even finished yet, is almost unprecedented.

If you build them, they will come!

However we will reach the pinnacle sooner or later when passenger numbers level off, then decline, and cruise lines will be stuck with a lot of empty berths. Mind you that could be more than a decade or two away?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 02-19-2008 04:57 AM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malcolm @ cruisepage:

(...)

However we will reach the pinnacle sooner or later when passenger numbers level off, then decline, and cruise lines will be stuck with a lot of empty berths. Mind you that could be more than a decade or two away?

Perhaps sooner ? With the financial and economical crisis looming, and the further gradual erosion of the West, I do see also a crisis for western cruising - perhaps they also want to go East ?

J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-19-2008 05:01 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Johan:

Perhaps sooner ? With the financial and economical crisis looming, and the further gradual erosion of the West, I do see also a crisis for western cruising - perhaps they also want to go East ?

J

Yes, I'm sure new markets will grow faster and more established markets will decline.

For example Britain is the number 2 cruising nation so France, Germany, Spain, Italy etc. have plenty of room for growth. As you have said the Far East has potential.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
ahrpd
First Class Passenger
Member # 6229

posted 02-19-2008 05:24 AM      Profile for ahrpd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
CENTURY undertook a number of cruises from Barcelona this past autumn and has established a good reputation in Spain. Either on her own, or with MERCURY and/or GALAXY, she may well be transferred to Pullmantur, considering OCEANIC won't have much longer left and I suspect the company may be quite keen to dispose of their other steamship SKY WONDER.

Am trying to imagine what these Celebrity ships would look like in Pullmantur livery!

Tony

Posts: 948 | From: gibraltar | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-19-2008 09:40 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I would love to see Celebrity keep the Mercury and Galaxy and put a few more ships into the short-cruise market (3-5 days). With the dissapearance of the Sovereign of the Seas and Empress of the Seas from RCCL and the relocation of the Monarch- and Majesty of the Seas back and forth to Florida (short term), Celebrity could put one of theirs out of LA and another out of New York or New Orleans.
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matts
First Class Passenger
Member # 4120

posted 02-19-2008 10:11 AM      Profile for Matts     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting that Celebrity have 5 ships on order vs 2 for RCI (+ Independence about to be delivered). I wouldn't have thought from what one reads that Celebrity needed such a big expansion. Perhaps the RCI orders canbe expected soon too? Good luck to Celebrity with these interesting looking ships. But I hope they don't become the new Vistas!
Posts: 829 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 02-19-2008 10:28 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Doug, would I be right in saying the only one off bigger order was the 8 Fantasy class from Carnival ?

I don't think any of the 3 Century class will end up with Pullmantur, they are more likely to get the other 2 RCI hand me downs (Majesty and Monarch). More likely is TUI although they said they would start with 1 transfer and then 2 new builds ? Also I can't see either joining Azamara, they are too big.

It would be nice to see Mercury and Galaxy stay together, perhaps Century goes to TUI and the others to a new line - perhaps competition in Aussie for P&O ? Or perhaps Blu De France 2 & 3 ?

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-19-2008 10:49 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mike sa:
Doug, would I be right in saying the only one off bigger order was the 8 Fantasy class from Carnival ?[...]

Were they all ordered at once? Also, the Solistice class ships were not all ordered at the same time - so one could also consider Destiny, Grand or Vista class ships which also were not ordered at the same time. (of course many were order after the delivery of the first ship - if that is what you mean)

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
KenC
First Class Passenger
Member # 6341

posted 02-19-2008 12:30 PM      Profile for KenC   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
..... and the name will be ?????

Don't think we have one for Solstice 4 yet either??

(well, it makes a change from pulling ships to pieces)

Posts: 353 | From: Brighton, UK | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Matts
First Class Passenger
Member # 4120

posted 02-19-2008 03:37 PM      Profile for Matts     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't think the Fantasy class were all ordered up front. THe final 2 had different propulsion systems which I would have thought had to be specified when ordering. However were they ordered before the first entered service?
Posts: 829 | From: London, United Kingdom | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 02-19-2008 06:07 PM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Interesting that Meyer Werft has now pulled the press release.

Best,

Raoul

Posts: 775 | From: Paderborn, Germany | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
NWLB
First Class Passenger
Member # 1987

posted 02-19-2008 10:05 PM      Profile for NWLB   Author's Homepage   Email NWLB   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The industry still projects annual passenger loads of 30 million by 2020, and these ships figure into those calculations.
Posts: 329 | From: Bowling Green, Ohio | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
bulbousbow
First Class Passenger
Member # 4440

posted 02-19-2008 10:20 PM      Profile for bulbousbow   Author's Homepage   Email bulbousbow   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
r.fiebig wrote:
Interesting that Meyer Werft has now pulled the press release.

Yes, yesterday I checked all the news sources and this piece of news was nowhere to be seen. So no order as yet?

Cheers

Posts: 6866 | From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 02-20-2008 06:02 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe they were ordered all at once, it was at the time quite a shock that Carnival had the guts to go all out in that way, bear in mind they were not the "Carnivore" they are now way back then.

Changes in spec to future ships are not uncommon, Noordam for instance was built differently to the first 3.

Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 02-20-2008 06:55 AM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matts:
I don't think the Fantasy class were all ordered up front. THe final 2 had different propulsion systems which I would have thought had to be specified when ordering. However were they ordered before the first entered service?

Yes, all 8 ships were ordered and in fact the keel plates were laid down right away, in order to beat the deadline for new design requirements, such as lifeboat positions, etc. This explains why the last ships in the class were making their appearance after other ships were entering service with new design changes in place. Obviously this was in the days when there was plenty of building space to reserve for several years before a ship was actually completed!

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
BigUFan
First Class Passenger
Member # 1382

posted 02-21-2008 10:48 AM      Profile for BigUFan   Author's Homepage   Email BigUFan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking this is way too optimistic of Celebrity. I also can't help but think that this will dilute the experience a bit since they seem to be following Princess to the cattle-car parade. You can see how Princess' cruise experience has been diluted by these monsters; it stands to reason that Celebrity's should also take a hit. One has to wonder if Celebrity will be the next "premium" line to be downgraded to a "mass-market" line.

I hope HAL is watching and planning on not following Celebrity's lead.

[ 02-21-2008: Message edited by: BigUFan ]

Posts: 904 | From: Orlando, FL | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 02-21-2008 12:32 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BigUFan:

I hope HAL is watching and planning on not following Celebrity's lead.

At least Celebrity is developing some innovative ships with new ideas and features. The junk being churned out by Carnival Corp, including HAL's Vistas, are hardly innovative.

If you haven't seen this video slamming Fincentieri and CCL, you've got to see it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P79Pg2FzqsQ

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 02-21-2008 01:36 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How many of the 'new and innovative features' developed by Celebrity (or RCCL) will be enjoyed by a greater percentage of passengers on a 3000-5000 passenger ship on a regular basis? None I suspect. As innovative as they might seem for a ship, no one books a cruise specifically because it has a wave rider, rock climbing wall, bolling alley, ice skating rink, or green grass and then doesnt ever use them. And most passengers will never use them, maybe less than 5-10% of the passengers on a 7-day cruise. I would venture to say that a very, very small percentage of passengers actually book a cruise specifically for these innovative features on a ship, and mostly by those who will be actually be using them. Passengers are more concerned about dining venues, shopping, entertainment, bars, lounges, spas, and ports of call than they are about green grass, wave riders, and rock climbing walls. And not everyone is attracted to and books a cruise based on new and innovative features. The 'junk being churned out by Carnival Corp', including the newbuilds of Costa, HAL, Princess, Carnival, Cunard, P&O, Aida, and Seabourn, although it may be not as innovative, attracts the greatest percentage of cruising passengers in the industry.

quote:
Originally posted by Fairsky:
At least Celebrity is developing some innovative ships with new ideas and features. The junk being churned out by Carnival Corp, including HAL's Vistas, are hardly innovative.

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 02-21-2008 10:25 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dmwnc1:
The 'junk being churned out by Carnival Corp', including the newbuilds of Costa, HAL, Princess, Carnival, Cunard, P&O, Aida, and Seabourn, although it may be not as innovative, attracts the greatest percentage of cruising passengers in the industry.

True, and Wal-mart and McDonalds also attract the most consumers, but it sure doesn't mean they are the best.

I think the mass-market is attracted to all the bells and whistles found on new Royal Caribbean ships. Simply put, if they were not Royal Caribbean would not keep investing in expensive innovations. It's also a fact that average per diems are higher on Royal Caribbean then Carnival, but of course expenses are greater at RCI so they don't make as much money.

I agree it's a small percentage of passengers actually take advantage of all the bells and whistles found on Royal Caribbean ... but, people still want to sail on the ships with the ice skating, surfing, rock climbing, etc. Even if they don't use it, people like to be spectators then brag about it when they get home.

Carnival is learning that bells and whistles are expected by the mass-market cruising public. This is why you see miniature golf, Seaside Theater, Carnival Waterworks, Serenity Zone, etc. being added to Carnival ships. Food and service are pretty similar on all the mass-market brands these days, it's the hardware that is really differentiating the products.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 02-21-2008 11:08 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
[...] it's the hardware that is really differentiating the products.

Ernie

Is it? There are certainly nice and not so nice ships but form a more distant point of view they all have more or less the same amenities - these 'innovations' are a garnish at best - and foremost the accommodations aboard most modern mainstream ships are (again from a more distant point of view) 'very similar'. Giving that the accommodations (keyword balcony) are becoming more and more important public areas are even less relevant.
Beside that only a handful of designers and suppliers are involved in building and decorating most of nowadays ships - so it is probably fair to say that 'all' modern passenger ships are 'the same'. This is of course an exaggeration but it's not far from the truth. 'We' might not see it that way as we look very close being interested in ships but for most people the difference between the gazillions of Vista class ships is very comparable to the difference between a Vista class and a Millennium class ship. It's a ship with an impressive atrium, a large restaurant, a pool, a theater, a casino and most cabins have a balcony.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.