- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Royal Caribbean Selling Its Interest in Island Cruises

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Royal Caribbean Selling Its Interest in Island Cruises
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 10-06-2008 04:44 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From Royal Caribbean:

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. (RCL) announced today that it had agreed to sell its 50 percent interest in Island Cruises to First Choice Holidays Ltd., the other 50 percent owner in the joint venture and a subsidiary of British-based tour operator TUI Travel PLC (TUI). As part of the transaction, RCL and TUI agreed to an early termination of the charter of Island Star, one of two ships in the Island Cruises fleet. RCL is the owner of Island Star and had chartered it to Island Cruises.

The deal is subject to regulatory approval in Ireland. RCL will also recognize a small gain on the sale of its interest in Island Cruises and the early termination of the Island Star charter.

"We thank TUI for their efforts and cooperation throughout the life of the joint venture. Island Cruises has been a rewarding investment for us, but over the past year our priorities have shifted," said Richard D. Fain, chairman and chief executive officer of Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. "We believe by focusing on developing and expanding the Royal Caribbean International and Celebrity Cruises brands in the U.K. we will be better able to serve our customers and create value for our shareholders. This belief has been strengthened by the success of the inaugural season of Independence of the Seas, which has served the U.K. market from Southampton, U.K., since it entered service in May 2008," Fain added.

Upon its return in April 2009, RCL plans to redeploy the Island Star to Pullmantur Cruises, its Spanish brand. "Redeploying the Island Star to our expanding Pullmantur fleet allows us to better serve the strategically important Spanish market," said Fain.

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
eroller
First Class Passenger
Member # 1649

posted 10-06-2008 05:04 PM      Profile for eroller     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Divesting Island Cruises is probably a good thing, but just how much tonnage can Pullmantur absorb? Also, no mention of ISLAND ESCAPE. I guess RCI no longer holds any monetary interest in this ship, or it's included in the 50% interest that RCI is selling to TUI.

Ernie

Posts: 7046 | From: Miami, Florida USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 10-06-2008 05:38 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Horizon to Pullmantur is probably a good move too as Zenith appears very popular with their passengers.

Pam

[ 10-06-2008: Message edited by: PamM ]

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 10-06-2008 07:08 PM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So this means TUI now control 2 UK-based cruise line, and they are competing with each other?
Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 10-06-2008 08:41 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Not at all unexpected.

It will be nice to see HORIZON and ZENITH together again. I would love to see HORIZON get her original name back but I doubt that will happen.

This means Pullmantur will have four ships I have sailed in... (ex) HORIZON, ZENITH, EMPRESS and SKY WONDER. I have never been so well-acquainted with a cruise line's fleet without having even stepped foot on one of its ships.

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jekyll
First Class Passenger
Member # 1878

posted 10-06-2008 09:34 PM      Profile for Jekyll   Email Jekyll   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dougnewman:

This means Pullmantur will have four ships I have sailed in... (ex) HORIZON, ZENITH, EMPRESS and SKY WONDER. I have never been so well-acquainted with a cruise line's fleet without having even stepped foot on one of its ships.

So i guess we need to keep an eye on your future cruise bookings so we can determine the evolution of this fleet

Posts: 1524 | From: Nowhere | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 10-07-2008 01:28 AM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jekyll:
So i guess we need to keep an eye on your future cruise bookings so we can determine the evolution of this fleet
Well the next ship I am booked on is QM2, not a likely future candidate for Pullmantur.

(Not to say she's the next ship I'll sail in, it's all the way in July so something[s] may come up before then.)

Actually except for one in ZENITH in 2006 all these cruises were as a child when the ships were rather new. Now they're middle-aged cast-offs. In fact if you look at the ships I sailed in from 1993 (when I took my first cruise) to 1998, there's one that isn't with Pullmantur, and that's SEAWARD. In that period I was even on HORIZON twice and NORDIC EMPRESS twice!

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
ahrpd
First Class Passenger
Member # 6229

posted 10-07-2008 02:32 AM      Profile for ahrpd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by eroller:
Divesting Island Cruises is probably a good thing, but just how much tonnage can Pullmantur absorb? Also, no mention of ISLAND ESCAPE. I guess RCI no longer holds any monetary interest in this ship, or it's included in the 50% interest that RCI is selling to TUI.

Ernie

TUI's UK MD, Dermot Blastland, says ISLAND ESCAPE is being transferred to Thomson Cruises. This is probably why Thomson did not want to take NORWEGIAN DREAM which Louis Cruise Lines had originally intended to acquire for charter to Thomson. This, together with the technical issues involving NORWEGIAN DREAM, were the probable reasons for the cancellation of the acquisition from NCL.

Tony

Posts: 948 | From: gibraltar | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
rd77
First Class Passenger
Member # 2117

posted 10-07-2008 02:48 AM      Profile for rd77   Email rd77   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Tony, I think you hit the nail on the head there! Stupid that we all didn't see that one coming (even when speculation about RCI pulling out of Island Cruises has been around for a while).

Vaccaro said before that ISLAND STAR could end up with Crosieres de France, let's see if that happens (I believe they technically come under Pullmantur's responsibility).

Posts: 1037 | From: The Hague, Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ahrpd
First Class Passenger
Member # 6229

posted 10-07-2008 03:25 AM      Profile for ahrpd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rd77:
Vaccaro said before that ISLAND STAR could end up with Crosieres de France, let's see if that happens (I believe they technically come under Pullmantur's responsibility).

I think it does. The Excel spreadsheets I've seen recently with the deployments of all the Pullmantur vessels up to 2010, include BLEU DE FRANCE.

With Pullmantur getting the much larger SOVEREIGN as a replacement for OCEANIC, I doubt whether that brand could absorb yet another ship so quickly. CDF is apparently keen on a second, so my bet is on ISLAND STAR heading in that direction.

Tony

Waynaro
First Class Passenger
Member # 3484

posted 10-07-2008 03:29 AM      Profile for Waynaro   Email Waynaro   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rd77:
Definitely it will be interesting to see how RCI/Pullmantur shuffles its fleet. I think OCEAN DREAM will be a good fit at CDF. Her size is around that of the BLEU de FRANCE. It will leave Pullmantur with ships over 40,000grt.

[ 10-07-2008: Message edited by: Waynaro ]

Posts: 6108 | From: Vallejo,CA : California Maritime Academy!!! | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 10-07-2008 07:21 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am not surprised given the rumours of Island's non financial performance. I suspect Island Escape will end up in Brasil.

It does raise a few interesting points:

I would have thought RCI would have wanted to leave Island Star with Island rather than move her to Pullmantur purely because with a recession looming they would have been better off moving either Majesty or Monarch over to join Sovereign which would have maximised Pullmantur's potential. Now that Sky Wonder is moving to Mexico permanently instead of Ocean Dream ........

I am surprised that TUI didn't want to keep Island Star to replace Norwegian Dream, unless they see a downturn in their marketplace ?

Now RCI has acted on this how long before they act on Azamara ?

Now that RCI have decided to concentrate on promoting Celebrity to the UK market they will need to ensure that the product is more of what it used to be in terms of quality to ensure pax know it is worth paying a bit more and get a good quality cruise experience in a contemporary setting. If they do then P&O and Cunard will need to watch their backs ! I have cruised a few times with P&O and Cunard regulars who loved Celebrity and moved their loyalty over for the quality - of course that has not quite been the same of late. But if they get back to as good as they were they will be on a winner.

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 10-07-2008 07:27 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From CC

"Island Escape to join Thomson Cruises’ fleet
7/10/2008
TUI UK & Ireland, the owner of Thomson Cruises and soon to be 100% owner of Island Cruises, having agreed to buy the remaining 50% of its joint venture in Island from Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (see yesterday’s story), plans to integrate Island Escape into the Thomson fleet next spring.
It is undecided yet if the Island brand will then disappear but the plan is to move Island’s operations to TUI’s head offices in Luton under Thomson Cruises.

Currently Island Cruises operates two ships, Island Escape and Island Star. The planned itinerary of Island Star will remain unchanged for this winter and the ship will continue to sail in the Caribbean under the Island Cruises banner until April 6, 2009. On that date, it will be redelivered to Royal Caribbean and go under the Pullmantur brand.

Island Escape will be retained by TUI and will continue to operate its published itineraries throughout, in Brazil this winter and Palma de Majorca from next March.

Island Cruises’ md Patrick Ryan will be leaving the company after 15 years but will remain until Christmas to support the transition. David Selby, director of cruising at Thomson will lead the review of the new intergrated cruise businesses.

Selby told Seatrade Insider today, ‘both brands are known for their friendly atmosphere and for their crew who make people feel special.’ He added the only difference currently between the two brands is the dining with Thomson's ‘contemporary’ concept offering seated waiter service and a buffet option, if desired, whilst Island offers the reverse with ‘casual’ the norm and waiter service available as an add-on supplement. Selby said after integration, the plan is to maintain Island Escape’s casual dining and maybe convert some exiting Thomson ships or add newer tonnage to this style to create two sub-brands.

From next spring Thomson will have five ships in the fleet with the addition of Island Escape as it will not be renewing its Emerald charter. Thomson Destiny and Island Escape will cruise in the West Med, Thomson Celebration out of Corfu and adult-only ship, Calypso, out of Thessaloniki. Thomson Spirit will cruise ex-UK to the Baltics. "

Have to say I am not sure this is a good idea - they run the risk of getting like P&O with some ships doing this and others doing that - unless they do decide on having 2 brands.

You have to say Thomson only really have 2 ok ships (Spirit and Celebration) the rest being not very nice, I hear the Destiny especially is in dire need of refit.

ResidentX
First Class Passenger
Member # 3792

posted 10-07-2008 07:59 AM      Profile for ResidentX     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Thomson Destiny will have minor alternations during it's Canary Island stint due in a few weeks and before it makes it's way to do the first season in the Caribbean, where people have paid a higher price and therefore expect much more. She was designed by RCI for the Caribbean 25 years ago, it will be interesting to see how she copes this far on.

The Island Star was a breakthrough for Island Cruises, just what it needed to compete with Ocean Village in terms of ship quality. This leaves the market open for OV unless Thomson rethink their cruise strategy.

The Island Escape is long past it's 'use-by' date yet it's being 'sold' again! An ugly ship that only manages to market itself with blisteringly cheap cruises with all inclusive upgrades stuffed in. I cannot see how they will convert her into the formal dining offered by Thomson at the current time. The main restaurant is geared for buffet style with smaller restaurants operating waiter service with a cover charge.

Interesting times ...

Posts: 36 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
cruceromania
First Class Passenger
Member # 5195

posted 10-07-2008 09:59 AM      Profile for cruceromania   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ahrpd:

I think it does. The Excel spreadsheets I've seen recently with the deployments of all the Pullmantur vessels up to 2010, include BLEU DE FRANCE.

With Pullmantur getting the much larger SOVEREIGN as a replacement for OCEANIC, I doubt whether that brand could absorb yet another ship so quickly. CDF is apparently keen on a second, so my bet is on ISLAND STAR heading in that direction.

Tony

"Redeploying the Island Star to our expanding Pullmantur fleet allows us to better serve the strategically important Spanish market," said Fain.

[ 10-07-2008: Message edited by: cruceromania ]

Posts: 91 | From: Spain | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 10-07-2008 10:13 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Of course when Isalnd Escape was Viking Serenade she did serve formal meals so no doubt could be converted back to that if thats what Thomson wanted, at the end of the day she is a ferry but no worse than Calypso ?
rd77
First Class Passenger
Member # 2117

posted 10-07-2008 10:17 AM      Profile for rd77   Email rd77   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mike sa:
I am not surprised given the rumours of Island's non financial performance. I suspect Island Escape will end up in Brasil.

It does raise a few interesting points:

I would have thought RCI would have wanted to leave Island Star with Island rather than move her to Pullmantur purely because with a recession looming they would have been better off moving either Majesty or Monarch over to join Sovereign which would have maximised Pullmantur's potential. Now that Sky Wonder is moving to Mexico permanently instead of Ocean Dream ........

I am surprised that TUI didn't want to keep Island Star to replace Norwegian Dream, unless they see a downturn in their marketplace ?

Now RCI has acted on this how long before they act on Azamara ?

Now that RCI have decided to concentrate on promoting Celebrity to the UK market they will need to ensure that the product is more of what it used to be in terms of quality to ensure pax know it is worth paying a bit more and get a good quality cruise experience in a contemporary setting. If they do then P&O and Cunard will need to watch their backs ! I have cruised a few times with P&O and Cunard regulars who loved Celebrity and moved their loyalty over for the quality - of course that has not quite been the same of late. But if they get back to as good as they were they will be on a winner.

Mike,

Thomson COULDNT keep the ISLAND STAR as it is still owned by Royal Caribbean (it was only chartered to Island Cruises). Moving ISLAND ESCAPE to Thomson cruises was probably the cheapest alternative in the current depressed economic climate, and I suppose she will do fine for the more cheap 'n' cheerful cruises.

Posts: 1037 | From: The Hague, Netherlands | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ahrpd
First Class Passenger
Member # 6229

posted 10-22-2008 09:29 AM      Profile for ahrpd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mike sa:
From CC

"Island Escape to join Thomson Cruises’ fleet
7/10/2008

From next spring Thomson will have five ships in the fleet with the addition of Island Escape as it will not be renewing its Emerald charter. Thomson Destiny and Island Escape will cruise in the West Med, Thomson Celebration out of Corfu and adult-only ship, Calypso, out of Thessaloniki. Thomson Spirit will cruise ex-UK to the Baltics. "

I have just received an email flyer from Island Cruises advertising summer cruises on ISLAND ESCAPE till the end of October 2009.

Does this mean that plans have again changed?

Tony

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.