- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruise Lines   » Cruise Club going under (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Author Topic: Cruise Club going under
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 11-27-2008 02:28 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Evidentally Cruise Club who own 5 ships have defaulted on loans and are likely to go under.

The ships may then go up for sale.

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
ahrpd
First Class Passenger
Member # 6229

posted 11-27-2008 02:39 AM      Profile for ahrpd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Do you mean the Dutch-based Club Cruise?

If so, it doesn't surprise me, as they had huge problems with VAN GOGH (remember the Travelscope fiasco), FLAMENCO I is lying idle in Singapore and they are still in legal talks with Vision Cruises over JULES VERNE (now AVHII).

It was only just over a year ago that owner Gerard Van Leest confirmed he was planning to order six 20,000gt cruise ships in Europe. How times change and the mighty fall!!

Tony

Posts: 948 | From: gibraltar | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 11-27-2008 03:20 AM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Club Cruise only owns three ships... ALBATROS, ALEXANDER VON HUMBOLDT and VAN GOGH. Apparently it has sold FLAMENCO I, though I don't know to whom.

Anyway, Club Cruise is now in default on its loans and it appears it is going to be forced to sell its ships and shut down.

Here are PDFs of financial documents about Club Cruise:

2008/10/20 - Announcement of Votes on Proposals to Defer Loan Payments - Includes 2Q 2008 Results
2008/10/30 - Announcement of Failure of Proposal to Defer Loan Payments (Bond 1)
2008/10/30 - Announcement of Failure of Proposal to Defer Loan Payments (Bond 2)
2008/11/03 - Announcement of Inability to Pay Interest on Loan
2008/11/17 - Announcement of Votes on Proposal to Default Loans - Includes 3Q 288 Results
2008/11/26 - Announcement of Passage of Proposal to Default Loans

A sad end to a rather interesting company (though the plan for six new ships always struck me as crazy). One wonders how this will affect Phoenix Reisen, who currently have ALBATROS and ALEXANDER VON HUMBOLDT on charter.

[ 11-27-2008: Message edited by: dougnewman ]

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anders
First Class Passenger
Member # 6373

posted 11-27-2008 04:02 AM      Profile for Anders        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What a great opportunity this could be for Fred. Olsen to acquire the third and last Royal Viking sister for their fleet!

I think Fred. Olsen have said they will not be adding more ships in the near future, though.

Posts: 258 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-27-2008 04:27 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
....Olsen recently stated that the decision to retire the 'Black Prince' was in part due to the economic downturn. Only a very brave (or foolish) cruise line would think about adding new tonnage in the near future.
Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 11-27-2008 05:45 AM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
One wonders how this will affect Phoenix Reisen, who currently have ALBATROS and ALEXANDER VON HUMBOLDT on charter.

Indeed, Doug. Particularly because with "Maxim Gorkiy's" retirement also coming within the next few days, the Phoenix fleet of ocean-going ships could be down from four in 2008 to one in 2009.

"Alexander von Humboldt" was scheduled to arrive in Bremerhaven two days ago for disembarkation of her passengers and a wet-docking at Bredo Werft. Instead, passengers were disembarked in Ijmuiden and the ship is still in Ijmuiden at this time.

Best,

Raoul

Posts: 775 | From: Paderborn, Germany | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tom Burke
First Class Passenger
Member # 5238

posted 11-27-2008 06:29 AM      Profile for Tom Burke   Author's Homepage   Email Tom Burke   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Only a very brave (or foolish) cruise line would think about adding new tonnage in the near future.

Well, apart from the ones with new ships arriving over the next year or so.

Let me see: there's P&O (Azura); Celebrity (Solstice just delivered, Equinox building and due for delivery August 2009, and a third one after that); RCI (Oasis of the Seas; is there another one committed-to after that?); MSC (Fantasia? more in that class? more in the Musica class?); NCL (at least one F3, we still assume).

Any more due to be delivered in the 2009/ 2010 period?

Posts: 1469 | From: Sheffield, UK | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-27-2008 06:37 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Burke:
Let me see: there's P&O (Azura); Celebrity (Solstice just delivered, Equinox building and due for delivery August 2009, and a third one after that); RCI (Oasis of the Seas; is there another one committed-to after that?); MSC (Fantasia? more in that class? more in the Musica class?); NCL (at least one F3, we still assume).

LOL...I assume they made these newbuild decisions BEFORE the predicted economic downturn was on the agenda?

I believe cruise industry expansion predictions were very good a year ago, so have the financial boffins revised their predictions downwards now?

[ 11-27-2008: Message edited by: Malcolm @ cruisepage ]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
buddhaJoe
First Class Passenger
Member # 4356

posted 11-27-2008 06:56 AM      Profile for buddhaJoe   Email buddhaJoe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hi Tom,

you forget quiet a lot of newbuildings...

01 M S C: Splendida 133,500 3.300
02 AIDA: AIDAluna 69,200 2.060
03 Costa: Costa Luminosa 92,700 2.260
04 Seabourn: Seabourn Odyssey 32,000 450
05 Celebrity: Celebrity Equinox 122,000 2.850
06 Costa: Costa Pacifica 114,500 3.004
07 Carnival: Carnival Dream 130,000 3.652
08 R C I : Oasis o/t Seas 220.000 5.400
N C L: cancelled / delayed 150.000 4.200
09 Silversea Spirit 36,000 540
10 MSC: MSC Magnifica 92,600 2.550

01 Costa: Costa Deliziosa 92,700 2.260
02 AIDA: AIDAblu 71,000 2.174
03 Seabourn: Seabourn Sojourn 32.000 450
04 P & O: Azura 116,000 3.076
05 Celebrity: Celebrity Eclipse 117.000 2.850
06 Holland America:Nieuw Amsterdam 86,000 2.100
07 N C L: TBA cancelled ?? 150,000 4.200
08 Oceania: Oceania Marina 65,000 1.260
09 R C I : Allure o/t Seas 220.000 5.400
10 Cunard: Queen Elisabeth 92.000 2.060
11 Iles du Ponant: L'Austral 10,700 264
12 Iles du Ponant: Le Boreal 10,700 264
this year we'll see MSC Fantasia in action

regards
Joe

Posts: 366 | From: De Goorn, small village in The Netherlands | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 11-27-2008 08:17 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Of course this is also an opportunity for Fred to get the 3rd ship relatively cheap perhaps and still have her under charter to Phoenix thus not increasing capacity but still having her for when they need her.

I understood they still owned Flamenco which is in Singapore ?

I can see a future for Alex. Von Hombolt and Albatros but the other 3 - not so sure in todays climate. Too much newer tonnage around or will be soon.

adriana & norway lover
First Class Passenger
Member # 7184

posted 11-27-2008 08:56 AM      Profile for adriana & norway lover     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Astoria is sold to Saga. She is due to be renamed Saga Pearl II (www.sagacrusing.co.uk). This ship is not affected if Club Cruise go under.
Posts: 199 | From: Caen, France | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 11-27-2008 09:24 AM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
adriana & norway lover,

I cannot fully agree with that. I'm sure the cotract Saga has signed is for a ship with working engines. So if Club Cruises fails to have "Astoria" repaired, Saga might not take delivery of her.

Best,

Raoul

mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 11-27-2008 10:07 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The contract between Saga and Cruise Club would also have been on the bais that they were both solvent. I would expect that any such contract would be subject to the approval of the courts on behalf of the creditors and Saga would also be able to cancel if they wanted to.

To cancel an entire world cruise must mean the problem engine wise is relatively significant.

ahrpd
First Class Passenger
Member # 6229

posted 11-27-2008 11:11 AM      Profile for ahrpd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Can someone please clarify exactly how many vessels Club Cruise (not Cruise Club) owns. There seems to be some difference of opinion on this thread with one suggestion of 3 and another of 5 vessels.

I was under the impression the company currently owns four:

ASTORIA (to be sold to Saga assuming all repairs are carried out)
FLAMENCO I (laid up in Singapore for a couple of months)
VAN GOGH (laid up in Piraeus for the winter in between charters to Metropolis Tur)
ALBATROS (operated by Phoenix and currently en route to Bremerhaven)

Tony

adriana & norway lover
First Class Passenger
Member # 7184

posted 11-27-2008 11:14 AM      Profile for adriana & norway lover     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ahrpd:
Can someone please clarify exactly how many vessels Club Cruise (not Cruise Club) owns. There seems to be some difference of opinion on this thread with one suggestion of 3 and another of 5 vessels.

I was under the impression the company currently owns four:

ASTORIA (to be sold to Saga assuming all repairs are carried out)
FLAMENCO I (laid up in Singapore for a couple of months)
VAN GOGH (laid up in Piraeus for the winter in between charters to Metropolis Tur)
ALBATROS (operated by Phoenix and currently en route to Bremerhaven)

Tony

and ALEXANDER VON HUMBOLDT (operated by Phoenix and currently in Ijmuiden)

Posts: 199 | From: Caen, France | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
ahrpd
First Class Passenger
Member # 6229

posted 11-27-2008 11:24 AM      Profile for ahrpd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by adriana & norway lover:

and ALEXANDER VON HUMBOLDT (operated by Phoenix and currently in Ijmuiden)

Of course! Thanks! So that makes five.

Tony

dougnewman
First Class Passenger
Member # 11349

posted 11-27-2008 01:59 PM      Profile for dougnewman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ahrpd:
Sorry, it's four - I somehow forgot that Saga had not yet taken delivery of ASTORIA.

According to the financial documents I linked above, FLAMENCO I has been sold for US$12,500,000 or around €9,500,000 below book value. This leaves ALBATROS, ALEXANDER VON HUMBOLDT, ASTORIA and VAN GOGH.

Posts: 2072 | From: Long Island, NY, USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 11-27-2008 04:43 PM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Bremerhaven's "Nordsee-Zeitung" newspaper reports that "Alexander von Humboldt" has been detained in Ijmuiden and that "Albatros" has reportedly avoided arrest for now thanks to intervention by Phoenix Reisen.

Best,

Raoul

ahrpd
First Class Passenger
Member # 6229

posted 11-28-2008 02:23 AM      Profile for ahrpd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Lloyds List has reported this:

"NORWEGIAN loan trustee Norsk Tillitsmann has been given the green light to start forced sales of Netherlands-based Club Cruise’s ships after meetings in Oslo.

Bondholders met this week to decide whether to call in bonds following a default by Club Cruise Entertainment & Travelling Services, operator of the cruise ship Van Gogh.

Norsk Tillitsmann obtained authority from bondholders to default three Club Cruise loans and start recover proceedings.

Club Cruise operates a number of vessels including Van Gogh, Astoria, Alexander von Humboldt and Albatros. Bremen-based operator Transocean Tours has cancelled a world cruise for the 18,591 gt Astoria following engine problems.

Alexander von Humboldt was arrested this week in Ijmuiden but released following payments by charterer Phoenix Reisen.

Alexander von Humboldt and Albatros are set to be dry-docked in Bremerhaven, while the Van Gogh has been under charter during the past few months to Russia’s Metropolis Tur.

Club Cruise subsidiary Van Gogh Cruises hit the headlines in April this year when the Van Gogh was arrested in Madeira.

Third quarter results showed Club Cruise posting a lost of €12.4m ($15.9m) compared to profits of €4.1m for the same period last year. The company also posted a loss in the second quarter after the sale of the Da Vinci at significantly below book value.

The cruise line’s problems follow on from the collapse of Travelscope last December, after which Club Cruise set up Van Gogh Cruise Line. Van Gogh subsequently became embroiled in a dispute with the Association of British Travel Agents over insurance bonds and ceased trading in April."

Tony

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 11-28-2008 04:23 AM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Lloyds report is a bit shallow imo. Who is going to pay for the dry dockings? Has AvH been released by Phoenix Reisen? She is still sitting in Ijmuiden.

Van Gogh ended her charter on 8 Nov and has been sitting in Piraeus Roads since 12 Nov and the new charter to Metropolis Tur isn't set until Feb. No mention of the sale of Flamenco I.

I also wonder if Astoria's world cruise was cancelled by Transocean as they knew this was going to happen and the engine problem was an excuse.

Bad times

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 11-28-2008 04:24 AM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thank you, Tony.

Fo what it's worth, "Alexander von Humboldt" is still in Ijmuiden. Bredo Werft reported yesterday that the ship was expected to arrive at the yard Nov. 25th and that the dry-dock had been booked for eight days only (it will be occupied by another ship after that). So it appears that the dry-docking is unlikely to happen - at least at Bredo Werft. I understand that "Albatros" will be put in a dry-dock rented from nearby MTW Werft as her draft and size are too large for Bredo Werft's own docks.

Best,

Raoul

Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 11-28-2008 07:53 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
If the price is right it is possible that Stelios could be interested in the Van Gogh.

Easy cruises website is only showing easyCruiselife as sailing in 2009 !

Stelios had said that he would like a larger second ship !

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 11-28-2008 08:31 AM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
German trade publication FVW reports that "Albatros" was detained in Vigo, yesterday. Reportedly Phoenix Reisen was able to have her released and she was expected to continue her cruise today.

Best,

Raoul

ahrpd
First Class Passenger
Member # 6229

posted 11-28-2008 09:37 AM      Profile for ahrpd     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by r.fiebig:
German trade publication FVW reports that "Albatros" was detained in Vigo, yesterday. Reportedly Phoenix Reisen was able to have her released and she was expected to continue her cruise today.

Best,

Raoul

Raoul

How much more is this episode likely to affect Phoenix financially? They bailed out AVHII from Cuxhaven and now ALBATROS from Vigo. If Club's creditors seize the ships, what next?

Tony

r.fiebig
First Class Passenger
Member # 5240

posted 11-28-2008 09:59 AM      Profile for r.fiebig   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Phoenix is a big company. Earlier this week, Phoenix md Johannes Zurnieden donated one millionen euros during a TV charity show.

However, they won't be able to buy the ships outright, particularly in the current world financial climate.

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

I wonder, however, whether we might see a temporary "Maxim Gorkiy" comeback in case the two Club Cruise vessels become unavailable.

Best,

Raoul

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.