- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Fate of ssBlue Lady ex Norway ex France.. (Page 2)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Fate of ssBlue Lady ex Norway ex France..
Willem
First Class Passenger
Member # 3005

posted 04-21-2007 11:13 AM      Profile for Willem        Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by TDM99:
Bonjour ,
See the last new by Reuben Goossens , perhaps the very last chance to save this Ship ...
http://www.ssmaritime.com/newsupdates.htm
Noel

Dream on !

Posts: 1469 | From: In the namesake city of Cape Hoorn. | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 04-21-2007 12:18 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I admire the optimism.

I bet when they have cut her up someone will say "We could still buy all of the pieces and put them back together again".

"Everything has it's time".

(Quote from: The face of Boe, as it died, Dr Who - UK Science Fiction).

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 04-21-2007 12:33 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Only if you believe in the Great Pumpkin.

Blue Lady is beached in the most sincere Pumpkin Patch

quote:
Originally posted by TDM99:
Bonjour ,
See the last new by Reuben Goossens , perhaps the very last chance to save this Ship ...
http://www.ssmaritime.com/newsupdates.htm
Noel

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
VDK
First Class Passenger
Member # 3460

posted 04-21-2007 05:03 PM      Profile for VDK   Email VDK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Looks like she might become ORIANA's replacement in Asia. Her slow death continues and by the time she does go (if she makes it off the beach) she will hardly be the FRANCE once refitted for use in ASIA.
Posts: 325 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
lasuvidaboy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4527

posted 04-21-2007 06:37 PM      Profile for lasuvidaboy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by VDK:
Looks like she might become ORIANA's replacement in Asia. Her slow death continues and by the time she does go (if she makes it off the beach) she will hardly be the FRANCE once refitted for use in ASIA.

I can hardly wait to see what those wacky Chinese 'decorators' have in mind for her!

Posts: 7654 | From: Hollywood Hills/L.A. | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 04-21-2007 10:06 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I don't know. At this point there seems to be little hope but then again nothing is final until she is cut up....
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 04-23-2007 11:34 AM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Good lord, let her die with dignity....say farewell, cut her up and leave it to the historians to make her immortal,...(REAL historians, not this guy).

Wonderful ship who has served the world well,...can't we just leave it at that?

-Russ

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 04-23-2007 11:41 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
To my understanding, the Reuben Goossens tattled to Greenpeace.
What did it get us?

1]It delayed Rotterdam V by a year and was close to being lost. It cost 2x or higher to restore as planned

2] The Blue Lady would not have all the damage to the artworks.

Peter Knego would have rescued them by now and we all could have had a vanity, etched panel, ash tray etc.

Meanwhile the ship is getting close to the condition of the SS America and may suffer the same fate.

Goossens, if you or your ditto heads are reading this, the enemy of my enemy is not my friend.

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Liner Enthusiast
First Class Passenger
Member # 6336

posted 04-23-2007 11:51 AM      Profile for Liner Enthusiast   Email Liner Enthusiast   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by linerguy:
Good lord, let her die with dignity....say farewell, cut her up and leave it to the historians to make her immortal,...(REAL historians, not this guy).

Wonderful ship who has served the world well,...can't we just leave it at that?

-Russ

I absolutely agree!!!
Let her die with some sort of dignity.

Posts: 19 | From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anders
First Class Passenger
Member # 6373

posted 04-23-2007 12:14 PM      Profile for Anders        Edit/Delete Post
What desirod7 said, all the way.
Posts: 258 | From: Oslo, Norway | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
viking109
First Class Passenger
Member # 6280

posted 04-23-2007 12:37 PM      Profile for viking109        Edit/Delete Post
We are probably wrongly assuming here that Ruebens and posters on internet forums can actually have an influence on the outcome. Personally I think the Indian officials and current owners of Blue Lady ( whoever they are) will do exactly as they wish.
If the ship is saved in a suitable way then that's fantastic, but the odds must be low.

Posts: 499 | From: southampton | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 04-23-2007 05:02 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Desirod 7

One thing you seem to forget is the way the workers in Alang will be contaminated by the asbestos on the ex ss Norway if she is allowed to be broken up there.

The ex ss Norway should have been banned from being brought there in the same way as happened with the French aircraft carrier which had less asbestos on board.

Although I have souvenirs from many ships I would never buy a souvenir from that ship, if she was broken up at Alang, knowing that many people could die as a result of her being broken up there by workers without the correct protective clothing for the handling of asbestos..

Neil ( Bob )

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 04-23-2007 05:16 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
"Although I have souvenirs from many ships I would never buy a souvenir from that ship"

Your loss is our gain!

-Russ

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 04-23-2007 05:29 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil Whitmore ( Bob ):
.. knowing that many people could die as a result of her being broken up there by workers without the correct protective clothing for the handling of asbestos..

Some Alang workers have been trained in the safe removal of asbestos, in France.

But anyway, does anyone know how many workers may have died in building ss France? I would guess more than may die in dismantling her, or were killed whilst working aboard.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 04-23-2007 05:37 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Russ

I have respect for people in third world countries having travelled all over the world and have seen the conditions a lot of them live and work in.

There is no way that the American authorities would allow the ss Norway to be broken up in the USA, with all that asbestos on board, unless the removal of it was controlled, which it is not in India.

Get your souvenir , if she is broken up at Alang, but also spare a thought for the many workers that will die if she is broken up there.

Neil ( Bob )

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Linerrich
First Class Passenger
Member # 4864

posted 04-23-2007 05:38 PM      Profile for Linerrich   Email Linerrich   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Many other ships, passenger & cargo, are broken up on those beaches. I'm sure the majority of them have asbestos as well, but there is no great outcry on their behalf! The American-built MONTEREY recently disappeared there in nearly a heartbeat--where was all the wailing and gnashing of teeth for her?

Yes, the conditions for these workers are appalling, but let's not get caught up with one ship and ignore all the others, if that is what this crusade is all about.

Rich

Posts: 4210 | From: Miami, FL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 04-23-2007 05:50 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Nobody said boo about the Monterey scrapping?
She has asbestos just like any pre 1980 ship.

quote:
Originally posted by Neil Whitmore ( Bob ):
Desirod 7

One thing you seem to forget is the way the workers in Alang will be contaminated by the asbestos on the ex ss Norway if she is allowed to be broken up there.

The ex ss Norway should have been banned from being brought there in the same way as happened with the French aircraft carrier which had less asbestos on board.

Although I have souvenirs from many ships I would never buy a souvenir from that ship, if she was broken up at Alang, knowing that many people could die as a result of her being broken up there by workers without the correct protective clothing for the handling of asbestos..

Neil ( Bob )

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 04-23-2007 05:54 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It is disgusting to see that some pathetic people still (!) try to get some attention with this topic.

It has been said before - but it seems as if it is necessary to repeat it:

To raise false hopes and make it more difficult for all those who loved this ship is bad enough - but to abuse the concerns about the disposal of the hazardous materials for this very doubtful and seemingly endless campaign is hypocritical and obscene.

I very much doubt that this topic would have been brought up in the context of a refit or conversion to a static ship by those people who now depict themselve as the advocate of those poor workers in India.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Johan
First Class Passenger
Member # 4458

posted 04-23-2007 06:13 PM      Profile for Johan   Email Johan   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The asbestos and workers' conditions problem is not new. Somehow I think that with the passing of time, the attention to it, will be greater, and more to a solution.

As for the end of the Norway, am I the only one to think there is some kind of appeal, in this limbo, in this slow decaying, but still subsisting of this great and majestic in decay hulk ? a bit like the 18th/19th century romanticist fascination for ruins.
France will never have her young, optimist 60's optimistic and chic splendor again, but somehow she is a grand ruin (would we otherwise be fascinated by these Alang pictures and reports ?)

France/Norway is not a living being, let's not anthropomorph her, but a great product of human creativity, fantasy and productivity. She was great in splendor, and now great in ruin. I don't want her scrapped, but also not necessarily restored.

It could have been different, but it is not now.

J

Posts: 1895 | From: Antwerpen, Belgium | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
VDK
First Class Passenger
Member # 3460

posted 04-23-2007 11:32 PM      Profile for VDK   Email VDK   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Well if they keep delaying her breaking the good old earth might do the job for them as she slowly sinks deeper into the mud. Then in another thousand years when the apes are ruling the world they will find this perfectly preserved ocean liner and wonder...
Posts: 325 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 04-24-2007 12:18 AM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Bob:

Yes, yes, yes, we all know how you've been around the world upteen thousand times and have the upper hand when it comes to knowing everything there is to know about, well, everything. You make it a point to tell us time and time again.

Yes, I'll keep collecting bits of the France/Norway; and, yes, I may occasionally think of the poor souls who may loose their lives while scrapping her. I know I'll do this because every time I look at my Lusitania collection, I think of the terrible events of May 7, 1915. I also think about the thousands and thousands of GI's who DIDN'T come home on the Queens Mary or Elizabeth. Or perhaps how every time I look at the hundred or so items I have from Wilhelm Gustloff it reminds me of the over 10,000 refugees who were murdered by the Russians. Or the 5,000-plus from the Cap Arcona, or the 3,000-plus from the Gen. V. Steuben,...I could go on and on but, hopefully, you get the message.

The items I have in my collection not only give me joy, they also make me pause and think of their origin and their circumstance. Having them, touching them, and enjoying them is a great way to pay tribute to not only the people who lost their lives, but also to the people who created them in the first place. BOTH are equally important.

Too bad your sanctimonious attitude doesn't allow you to see it that way,....

-Russ

TDM99
First Class Passenger
Member # 6196

posted 04-25-2007 04:39 PM      Profile for TDM99   Email TDM99   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Bonjour ,
Here photos of s/s NORWAY from Alang ...
http://www.revedefrance.com/nouvellepage2627htm
Friendly Noel

Posts: 88 | From: Pfaffenhoffen - FRANCE | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
sslewis
First Class Passenger
Member # 3649

posted 05-09-2007 09:08 AM      Profile for sslewis   Author's Homepage   Email sslewis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Johan,

I share your views about the fascination for ruins as a former romantic!
Indeed, I 'd love to see some pictures of her slowly ryusting..she might end up like ssAmerica and be a memorial to Asbestos in 20 years time!

Posts: 2513 | From: Shipspotting Solent shores when weather allows.... | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Redlinekid2
First Class Passenger
Member # 7157

posted 05-14-2007 09:12 PM      Profile for Redlinekid2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Here is the latest news regarding the SS Norway:

http://www.newkerala.com/news5.php?action=fullnews&id=29030

Posts: 300 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
TDM99
First Class Passenger
Member # 6196

posted 05-20-2007 05:25 AM      Profile for TDM99   Email TDM99   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Yesterday , i write to the " New Foreign Minister " Dr Bernard Kouchner Over the " FRANCE - NORWAY " !

Today in the updates from Reuben Goossens you have the complete adress ( here is a copy ) .
Please Note:
As the page is in French, use the following instructions (the English version of the same page does not work).

Visit: http://www.diplomatie.gouv.fr:80/fr/rubrique.php3?id_rubrique=3884

Half way down the page click: “Réaction à l'actualité Internationale”

On the new page, in the “Sujet de votre message” box click: “Reaction a l'actualite Internationale”

Next: Enter your email address

Below in the “Objet” box type: “Paquebot France” or “SS France”

Write your message (no more than 2000 characters) and click “Envoyer” to send when finished.

Please send me copies of their response

I think is the " very last chance " from the French Gouvernement ... Mr Kouchner is very " GOOD MAN & GREAT MAN " , appreciate everywhere in France ( he's more - more better at the last foreign minister ) .

Friendly Noel

Posts: 88 | From: Pfaffenhoffen - FRANCE | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.