- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Fate of ssBlue Lady ex Norway ex France.. (Page 3)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Fate of ssBlue Lady ex Norway ex France..
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 05-20-2007 05:02 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Linerguy

There is a big difference between those that die when a ship sinks, what ever the cause, and those that make money out of using cheap labour and not providing the workers with protective clothing so they die as a result of working with asbestos when scrapping old ships.

This is what has been happening in Alang when ships are dismantled.

Until people make a stand it will continue.

My views, on the treatment of these workers, are nothing to do with the number of times I have travelled round the world !

Neil ( Bob )

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 05-20-2007 05:19 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
It cannot be classified as "cheap labour" as the wages are in line with anything else in India. The choice is work or starve.

If you wish to stop ship breaking at Alang then before depriving the workers of any income find them alternative employment. The figures banded about re deaths, as I have said before, are fewer than in the construction industry in the first world. Work at Alang is far from ideal, but without it those workers would be far worse off. Instead of reading the 'stop Alang' websites, read those website where the local people are moaning about the lack of work over the past 2 years and the hardship it has caused.

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 05-20-2007 06:03 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Pam

If you look at the pictures of the places these workers have to live in and also children being used in the industry you will see just why it should be stopped and the whole system in Alang cleaned up.

With the curruption in India I doubt if it will happen.

However I do not think it is a good idea to support this type of business which your remarks give the impression you do !

Can you tell me why people living in the area of Alang are supporting a petiton to the Indian Supreme Court to stop the ex ss Norway being broken up there.

The reason they are doing it is not to loose work but to stop them and their families dying from the results of the asbestos on the ship which should have been removed before the ship arrived at Alang.

Neil ( Bob )

[ 05-20-2007: Message edited by: Neil Whitmore ( Bob ) ]

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 05-20-2007 07:02 PM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The world is full of socio-economic disasters, not just India. Child Rights, Class Wars, Crimes Against Humanity, Genocide, Human Rights Violatons, Poverty and Starvation, millions upon millions of dispaced Refugees in Africa, Destruction of the Worlds Rain Forrests, Slavery, Terrorism, Torture, and War are all topics we could stand on a soapbox and preach about....pick one. Sure these folks in India are employed in miserable, less than desirable conditions, but they have a job and are supporting their families which most would not be able to do otherwise. Sure it seems an injustice by Western standards, but I am sure they go home leave after a hard days work with money in their pocket and a prayer on their lips thanking their diety for a chance at survival. And if you asked the average ship scrapper in Alang what asbestos was, or the effects on the human body, I bet you none of them could give you an educated answer than wasnt already spoon-fed them by some activist.
Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 05-20-2007 07:05 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
The breaking up of Norway will make no overall difference, many many other ships are broken up with asbestos and all other toxins aboard without the bat of an eyelid. The longer she sits there the worse it will be come once the interiors start breaking themselves down.

The workforce are almost all migrant workers from further afield poorer areas and low caste. The locals provide the ancillary services. Any photos can show what one wishes. I am not denying the conditons are bad, of course they are, but you cannot just stamp a foot and say stop, that creates a worse situation.

Pam

Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 05-20-2007 10:36 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I we don't have to, and never will live in those kind of conditions then no one should.

It has been said here that they make enough money to survive and provide for there families. If that were so then kids should not be working and dying at these places, they wouldn't be starving and they would be able to afford heath care. Things that we in the first world take for granted. Things we hardly ever even think about.

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 05-23-2007 04:52 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Sorry, Bob, but the sinkings I mentioned and the deaths that resulted from them were all brought on by man,...none of them were natural disasters. The problems in Alang are also brought on by man,...there's no difference.

Lastly, if your 'round the world jaunts have nothing to do with the people and conditions in Alang, then STOP BRINGING IT UP.

Russ

Posts: 1486 | From: Bright, Indiana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 05-23-2007 06:53 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
There is a huge difference. And even if there wasn't doens that mean that these peoples problems are less importaint just because its man made or becuase there are other people who are worse off then they are?

If you saw someone who needed help would you not help them just becuase somewhere else in the world there are other people who are far worse off and there for they deserve the help more?

No offence to anyone here , I respect you all but it sounds to me like some people here are trying to justify what happens at Alang and other yards.

Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 05-24-2007 01:17 AM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Cunard Fan:

No one is trying to justify anything; especially when it comes to the situation in Alang. The conditions are deplorable, and it is a shame that some people are dealt such a crappy hand simply because they happened to have been born in a certain place. The issue (to me anyway) is Bob's silly notion that his refusing to buy something from the ship will somehow slap the wrists of the people who are paying these poor people to scrap her. The ship is innocent,...

-Russ

dmwnc1
Cruise Director
Member # 3785

posted 05-24-2007 07:53 AM      Profile for dmwnc1   Email dmwnc1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cunard Fan:
If you saw someone who needed help would you not help them just becuase somewhere else in the world there are other people who are far worse off and there for they deserve the help more?

No offence to anyone here , I respect you all but it sounds to me like some people here are trying to justify what happens at Alang and other yards.

quote:
Originally posted by Cunard Fan:
...they would be able to afford heath care. Things that we in the first world take for granted. Things we hardly ever even think about.

Things you may take for granted. I cant even afford health care! Most of Americans cant, and I havent had it for the last 17+ years. I dont see anyone jumping on the band wagon for coal miners in West Virginia, whose Black Lung had been killing them for decades. I dont want to belittle the situation in Alang, but lets worry about our own here first before we go traipsing off to stand on that other soap box and preach. Even today, it is estimated that 1,500 former coal miners die in the US of black lung each year. That is the equivalent of a Titanic going down in the nation's coal fields each year. Black lung victims too die a long agonizing death in isolated rural communities, away from the spotlight of publicity. We cant save everybody, everywhere, all the time. It never ceases to amaze me that very few Americans are worried about our own, and are more supportive both verbally and financially of every other cause around the globe but never take the time to look at their own back yards.

Posts: 5650 | From: Clarksburg WV | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
mike sa
First Class Passenger
Member # 5957

posted 05-24-2007 09:31 AM      Profile for mike sa   Author's Homepage   Email mike sa   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hope I am not going to get a "shouting" out and I am not supporting one view or another but there is a difference when a worker dies in your own country of a work related problem that is not sorted out, first of all he/she probably belongs to a union and even without health insurance does have access to good healthcare.

It is very different however when we export our "trash" to 3rd world countries where there is no health care and no unions and people are so desperate to eat they will do anything and tak eany risk - we normally export these problems because to do it in our own countries it would be to expensive thus we export it.

Of course we all have sympathy with the coal miners in the US horribily afflicted with a dreadful condition, however in the case of Alang it is us in the West that sends our unwanted ships there only becuase it is cheaper than doing it safely ourselves, unless we insist on higher standards etc in Alang (and similar) then it will continue.

Frankly there should be an international treaty that governs disposal of ships, if they have traded mainly in the Euro zone or US zone then it should be law that they are decommissioned there, likewise for Africa or Far East etc. Of course then all of us must understand that our fares will go up slightly to allow for corporations to do this.

Norway should be broken up, she is past the end of her life, she should NOT have been sent to Alang for this it should have been done in the US as that is where she made her money and traded and in effect was owned by a US corporation.

Shame on you NCL (actually MSC also re Monte) it is a direct result of your total disrespect for Humans and the environment that these people are suffering as you attempt to simply get rid of problem rather than try and solve it properly.

Posts: 2272 | From: Durban, South Africa | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 05-24-2007 11:20 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by mike sa:
Shame on you NCL (actually MSC also re Monte) it is a direct result of your total disrespect for Humans and the environment that these people are suffering as you attempt to simply get rid of problem rather than try and solve it properly.

I do not disagree with you, but this is a very complex issue.

It's not just the big companies that are to blame. Any of us who buy goods or services from the third-world are taking part of the exploiting third world labour. Where’s the T-shirt of Training shoes that you are wearing made? How much was the worker paid? The hours and working conditions good? (I doubt it).

It could be argued that just taking a cruise exploits third world labour.

Of course is no ships were sent to Alang the local community would be devastated.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-24-2007 12:50 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
...and this is why it is so hypocritical that this issue is now brought up in the context of scrapping Norway.
Alang is a scandal (but as said, this is a more complex issue) - it is just a bit strange to see complaints about the working conditions in Alang now after compaints about old ships being retired 'just' because they did not satisfy regulations anymore.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 05-24-2007 04:17 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Linerguy Russ

You do get people on here that may not know who the posters are and what experience they have of life at sea.

Sorry if it upsets you when when I mention it but had you travelled as much as me you might be as proud of it as I am !

Neil ( Bob )

Working At Sea with the P&O from 1951 to 1986 !

linerguy
First Class Passenger
Member # 4289

posted 05-24-2007 05:05 PM      Profile for linerguy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
And proud you should be! But, it has nothing to do with the conditions in Alang or the fact that you've imposed on yourself a 'hands off' approach when it comes to items from NORWAY,...

-Russ

First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 05-24-2007 05:19 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hi Russ

Being 100% British I have standards and keep to them !

Neil ( Bob )

[ 05-24-2007: Message edited by: Neil Whitmore ( Bob ) ]

Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 05-24-2007 05:36 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil Whitmore ( Bob ):
[...]

Sorry if it upsets you when when I mention it but had you travelled as much as me you might be as proud of it as I am !

Neil ( Bob )

Working At Sea with the P&O from 1951 to 1986 !

Neil,

Working for a company for such a long time is indeed something to be proud of and it is the fact that there are many members here at CT who have an impressive career in the shipping industry which makes this forum so interesting. But please be aware that you are heftily self-depreciating your achievement by mentioning this again and again - especially when you do this without any relation to the discussed topic.

Greetings

Ernst

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 05-24-2007 05:49 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
quote:
Originally posted by Neil Whitmore ( Bob ):
Being 100% British I have standards and keep to them !

But you did not join P&O until after India had become a Republic. Should British Rule have continued? are you saying standards have declined because it didn't? Balderdash... they may well have been better off without British Rule at all, we will never know, but your standards or 'British' Standards, whatever they may be, are not those looked to by the rest of the World. Everyone has their own, and it is not up to anyone to tell anyone else what their's should be.

Pam

First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 05-24-2007 05:51 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hi

Its nice to see that you add to the comments about my time at sea to which I take exception !

However I notice that you do not mention when I have had to correct you when you make mistakes and have quoted me in-correctly as it is obvious that English is not your first language

Neil ( Bob )

DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 05-24-2007 05:58 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
This is getting out of hand. Where is everyone's civility here??? If you're going to discuss things in this manner....please do it in PM's. Thank you very much.
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 05-24-2007 06:00 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Pam M

WHY CHANGE THE TOPIC !

I do not like the conditions that workers in Alang have to work under.

This is a case of the owners of the companies involved in ship breaking being more interested in making a profit from the demolition of ships than being concerned in the health, safety and welfare of the staff working for them.

People that buy items from these ship breakers, that are not re- cyclable such as ships fittings and furnishings , are also to blame for the conditions of the ship yard workers as if there was no market for the items then the labour force for dismantling the ships would be reduced.

Neil ( Bob )

PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 05-24-2007 06:10 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
I am not changing the topic. No-one condones the conditions the ship breakers in Alang work under but like it or not, it is their livelehood and unless another is found it will continue as they need to provide for their families.

Nearly every part of those vessels is recycled in some form, the bits and pieces that get sold to collectors are a tiny tiny % of the overall sales and by not purchasing them is no loss to the breakers, they will just get sold to local establishments instead. All those toilet fitting, chairs, pictures, every part furnish the homes of those in India and will continue to do so regardless of whether any 'western' enthusiast wishes to have a momento of times past.

Everything is recyclable, right down to the scrap of paper found behind a bed. You should be thankful it is, as in this country it would be sent to landfill.

Pam

First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 05-24-2007 06:11 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Hi Dambrosi

There are on this forum about five people that have a go at me nearly every time I post on here.

This is now starting to annoy me as I write on about seven classic shipping forums plus publish CD's and Videos through my company.

I speak the truth in a very blunt English manner which no doubt with not everybody having Engish as their first language can lead to problems.

Rest assured if anyone annoys me - I Bite !

Neil ( Bob )

First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 05-24-2007 06:19 PM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post
Pam

You have forgotten to mention the oil and other items out of the tanks on the ships being broken up on the beaches at Alang which cause pollution.

Could you see that being allowed in UK.

This is why I class it as cheap sweat labour being used to break up ships in Alang and will not buy anything from there as all the pollution regulations are ignored.

Admitted in India there is not many regulations but what there is is ignored !

Neil ( Bob )

viking109
First Class Passenger
Member # 6280

posted 05-24-2007 06:35 PM      Profile for viking109        Edit/Delete Post
What exactly are these British standards. I'd call them pretty low on most counts. Not a day goes past when we are not told that we are the worst Western European nation for something or other- transport , education, health, drug use , underage pregnancies, alcohol abuse, chavs, etc etc.
Posts: 499 | From: southampton | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2  3  4 

Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.