- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » SS France/Norway

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: SS France/Norway
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 06-06-1999 07:00 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
O.K. guys, in laymans terms (not too technical please):

What were the basic modifications made to the SS France to transform her into the SS Norway in 1980?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!
Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 06-07-1999 06:18 AM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
TheyŽve added two more decks on the top of the ship.
Renegade4
First Class Passenger
Member # 392

posted 06-07-1999 08:55 AM      Profile for Renegade4   Author's Homepage   Email Renegade4   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Other than the added decks;

The Norway was towed to Bremerhaven in August of 1979 and completely rebuilt with a huge new lido deck at her stern, and two outdoor pools. The midship pool was built within an existing midship "courtyard". A portion of this courtyard can still be walked, circumnavigating the underside of the pool, though it is not on any ship's map.

Two huge tenders, the "little NORWAY I and II", were hoisted on her bow and special cranes were built to offload them at ports where NORWAY's deep draft prevented her from docking.

Her capacity was increased from 2044 to

Her once chic French interiors were largely
restyled and/or replaced with more
comfortable and "caribbean" furnishings.

More economic diesels replaced her Turbo
generators and in the summer of 1980.

R4

mikew
First Class Passenger
Member # 707

posted 07-02-1999 01:38 AM      Profile for mikew   Email mikew   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In addition to the modifications mentioned above, two of the ships four propellers (being the outer ones driven by the forward engine room) were removed and the openings sealed to reduce her to a twin screw ship. She still retained her original steam turbines, however her generators have since been replaced with diesels. She still managed 25 knots on trial in 1980 (original top speed on four props was 35 knots) but I believe travels at around 18-20 knots nowadays. Three bow thrusters were also fitted. Interior refurbishments were fairly extensive but much original still remains. The forward bridge windows were enlarged. In 1990, two new decks were added on top of the ship. Sicne then there have also been smaller refits to bring the ship up to SOLAS standards.
Posts: 14 | From: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: Jul 99
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 07-10-1999 07:51 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's nice to see the SS Norway do so well in Travelpages Internet Cruise Survey (Click on Cruise News).

Surely this is proof that instead of spending millions of dollars on new builds, the SS United States should be reovated and be converted to a cruise ship. How about it NCL, Carnival, etc

Joe at PwC
First Class Passenger
Member # 225

posted 08-18-1999 03:59 PM      Profile for Joe at PwC   Email Joe at PwC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just waved goodbye to the old girl as she left New York (the Norway, that is). Unfortunately, I didn't get the pictures I had hoped for.

If indeed she's not to return, I've just seen a piece of history fade into the mist. :-(

[This message has been edited by Joe at PwC (edited 08-18-99).]

DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 08-18-1999 04:30 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Joe or Malcom have you heard anything different about the SS
UNITED STATES that I missed?
Besides CARNIVAL, I would rather
see PREMIER get it. I don't think
they care about the SS UNITED STATES at all and is'nt that ashame?

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99
Joe at PwC
First Class Passenger
Member # 225

posted 08-18-1999 06:30 PM      Profile for Joe at PwC   Email Joe at PwC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's a major shame, because if you think about what was done to the Big U, you'll realize that if anyone put her back into service, they'd technically have a brand new ship, since she's structurally sound, her engines are still good, and everything else would be brand new from the load waterplane up, meaning new plumbing, new electricity. Alright, she could really use some new hull plating because of the rust. But otherwise, she's just waiting to make a comeback.

Take a look at www.ss-united-states.com and www.ssunitedstates.org. There's a nationwide movement dedicated to saving her. Above all, tell all your friends who are interested about her, and even some of those who could afford to learn something new every day. If enough people get on the bandwagon, she will be saved.

DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 08-18-1999 08:49 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
thank you joe for clearing up the mix up i had. i almost thought you
were talking about the BIG U.

Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99
Mary Ann
First Class Passenger
Member # 317

posted 08-19-1999 12:37 AM      Profile for Mary Ann     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Joe, what do you mean about the Norway? (I've just recently been following cruise news since we booked our first cruise last month.) The NCL brochure has the Norway in the Caribbean for 2000. Do you just mean she won't be coming into New York for transatlantic cruises?
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-19-1999 09:05 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The SS Norway will now Cruise permanently in the Caribbean. Her August 8th transatlantic from Southampton to NY may well have been her last?

She left Southampton from the QE2 terminal, which is very close to the point where the 'RMS Titanic' set sail on her fateful journey.

The Norway of course does the crossing much slower than the Titanic or QE2! This is because of the changes made to her (see above).

[This message has been edited by Malcolm (edited 08-19-99).]

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-19-1999 10:09 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've just read:

NCL is also planning to install an Internet Cafe on board the S/S Norway.

Comments?

Joe at PwC
First Class Passenger
Member # 225

posted 08-19-1999 12:15 PM      Profile for Joe at PwC   Email Joe at PwC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
One would have to conclude that it would invariably come at the expense of one of the old SS France public rooms which might still be intact.

Mary Ann, it is as Malcolm says. As of now, the Norway's return to New York may possibly never happen if they don't run her on transatlantics anymore, which, since she does them so much more slowly than the QE2, would probably be rather costly for NCL to produce.

KruzinKat
First Class Passenger
Member # 260

posted 08-22-1999 09:09 PM      Profile for KruzinKat   Email KruzinKat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just returned yesterday from Norway's trans-atlantic crossing and am pleased to report she's looking even better than she did in January. Much new carpeting, upholstery, and curtains in North Cape Lounge and Saga Theatre, as well as in at least Fjord deck cabins. They have set half the library up for the internet hookup, but hadn't put in the computers as it would be much more expensive in Germany as it will from U.S. Were going to at least start once we reached Miami but, of course, can't confirm whether that happened. The entire hull had been taken down to base metal then primed and repainted a brighter blue and dazzling white. Much of the ship had been repainted - including the ceiling of Club Internationale. A full sprinkler system had been installed throughout the ship - must have been quite an army of plumbers on board! Such a massive plumbing job resulted in a couple of mini-disasters. A backup above the Sports Illustrated Cafe flooded that room and a cascade from the burst pipe in the Saga Theatre balcony caused a cascade of water to flood down to the main area - soaking the newly-recovered seats and recarpeted floor. But we can attest that you would never know now. Both areas looked great. A new deck covering around the main pool area reportedly cost thousands but was absorbant and more comfortable under-foot. By the way, the preceding info was given me by a technical director for the Saga Theatre who joined the ship while she was in dry dock. He said her hull was primer-red when he arrived and that a great deal of work was done to the ship. We know that our cabin on Fjord deck looked great. I think there will always be some plumbing problems, with the age of the ship and the number and variety of cabins; but, overall, she was looking absolutely beautiful and we had a marvelous trans-atlantic crossing! We mostly were blessed with great weather and calm seas, but the couple of days the seas were more active (15-16 foot seas), Norway cut through the chop like the ocean liner she is - didn't even use the stabilizers and we hardly knew there was other than smooth sailing. And sailing into NYC harbor at dawn was breathtaking! Dancing was wonderful, too! Oh, and John Maxtone-Graham, author of The Only Way to Cross, was on board for lectures! We'll be doing a more complete review soon, but feel free to ask any questions you might have and we'll try to answer.

KruzinKat

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-23-1999 04:40 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Kat,

Was it a smooth crossing?

I bet Maxtone-Graham was good. I've seen him on TV. Is he English?

Malcolm

blf49
First Class Passenger
Member # 502

posted 08-25-1999 11:08 AM      Profile for blf49   Email blf49   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcom:
Maxtone-Graham was on last year's westbaound crossing on the Norway, and I was aboard. He was, and is, a delightful lecturer. Many of the anecdotes I recognized from books of his I have read: Only way to Cross and Liners to the Sun. His style and delivery make them worth hearing over and over, though. He is not English. If I recall aright, he is half Scots (Scottish?) and half Yank. Raised in the UK early and US later.

We ran into some weather on the last day at sea, (St. Thomas to Miami) and she was really steady. My partner is a bit queasy, and found her movements gentle and reasonable.

I am sorry I missed entering NY harbor, though.

blf

joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 08-25-1999 11:26 AM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Those of you interested in John Maxtone-Graham's work might want to visit the Ocean Liner Museum web site. John is the current president of that organization.

Click on the following link to visit the site: http://www.oceanliner.org/

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!
Joe at PwC
First Class Passenger
Member # 225

posted 08-25-1999 05:25 PM      Profile for Joe at PwC   Email Joe at PwC   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
blf, you missed quite an experience entering New York Harbor. I was not on the Norway, but was recently on the Carnival Triumph, and I made sure that I was awake early to experience this. It was quite a moving sight to see the Statue of Liberty as so many immigrants had seen her many years ago, gradually appearing through the mist. It was so quiet during our arrival, as though the city was not yet awake, and yet it was, as commuter traffic was plain to see.

I suppose it probably has much more impact after being out to sea for six days, though.

[This message has been edited by Joe at PwC (edited 08-25-99).]

KruzinKat
First Class Passenger
Member # 260

posted 08-27-1999 06:34 PM      Profile for KruzinKat   Email KruzinKat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just having a chance to check in after a busy back-to-work week. Malcolm, it was a fantastic crossing. Most of the trip was under sunny or hazy skies, but we had a couple of days with higher seas (15 or 16 feet one day), but you'd never know it aboard Norway. And our table mate was told during a bridge tour that they'd never needed to extend the stabilizers. She can do a gentle, side-to-side rock, but you aren't aware of it unless you compare the horizon to something inside as you gaze out to sea. She obviously was built as an ocean liner. And John Maxtone-Graham was a delight! The Saga Theater was filled for each of his lectures, the last of which was entitled, "John Maxtone-Graham reads from the yellow pages." He talked on a variety of subjects, from A to Z. On another day, he and his wife acted out various classic on-board scenes - stories they'd experienced or heard about from other cruisers. His wife is very good, also. We bought his "Only Way to Cross" video, as the book had sold out. But I plan to purchase the book, also. His presence was just one of many things that made this cruise so special.

KruzinKat

nathan
First Class Passenger
Member # 720

posted 08-27-1999 09:15 PM      Profile for nathan     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
KruzinKat:

Have they replaced the blue carpeting in the stairwells? I cruised on the Norway in January, and the carpeting was looking quite worn and out of place. I suspect the repainting of the hull was for more than aesthetic purposes. The Chief Engineer told me that the last time the Norway was painted, they used the wrong kind of paint, and it was interfering with the ship's electrical system. Apparently ships are grounded into the hull, and the paint they used was causing some problems.

Posts: 534 | From: Knoxville, Tennessee | Registered: Aug 99
Bertha
Just Boarded
Member # 35

posted 08-27-1999 11:32 PM      Profile for Bertha   Email Bertha   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Good evening, just learnedof this chat room.
I am amazed at how much interest you all seem to have for the Norway! I hope it is justified...When I was on it a number of years ago before the addition of decks it was a nasty ship. I had never seen anything in such disrepair. But then NCL has never really had their act together. Hope I'm not stepping on toes. Question, does she still throw alot of soot on the stern pool?

Bertha
Just Boarded
Member # 35

posted 08-27-1999 11:40 PM      Profile for Bertha   Email Bertha   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Has anyone sailed on Sitmars Fair Wind? Perhaps not the grandest, not the most luxurious but a true lady of the sea with nice turbines rather than vibrating cylindars.
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 08-28-1999 04:26 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Bertha, welcome. The Norway was voted favourite ship via an internet Cruise survey. She is also one of NCL's most profitable ships. Obviously it is all a matter of opinion - however the Norway has been considerably upgraded since your experience.

Malcolm, London.

KruzinKat
First Class Passenger
Member # 260

posted 08-28-1999 01:15 PM      Profile for KruzinKat   Email KruzinKat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nathan - There is still blue carpeting in the stairwells, although much of it looks new. I think they buy a major quantity of the same pattern for upgrading - or have a contract with a carpet mill. The stairwell leading to our cabin on Fjord deck looked like it was just about ready for replacement again. Bertha - I have noticed soot being blown onto decks on more than one ship, depending on the conditions. I didn't spend much time by the pools for the crossing - too busy doing other things, but we did notice diesel odors occasionally on some decks - including in the Saga theater early on in the cruise. I have a feeling it depends on prevailing winds and such. But I would call Norway anything but nasty! She's quite different from contemporary, modern ships, but in great shape and beautiful in our eyes. Love that classic look - and she certainly welcomes those who love to dance! But we're looking forward to sailing on a new ship with a line we haven't tried - probably Celebrity's Mercury through the Canal in September 2000. Gotta get a new countdown going!

KruzinKat

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.