- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Are YOU a sailor or a cruiser. ?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Are YOU a sailor or a cruiser. ?
Baker
First Class Passenger
Member # 1311

posted 10-06-2000 05:29 AM      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
G.day all,
Having enjoyed Joes Travelpage for some months now, and having got to know some of you if only by name,wondered how many of us are just cruisers or are there many that have actually been too sea as crew on merchant shipping or on the gray funnel line(RN or USN ) and of course not forgeting the ship lovers.
As you may know I was a baker in the sixties with Cunard/Orient/Port Line and from that my fascination with ships. B

Posts: 221 | From: Rosebud, by the Bay.Victoria, Australia | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
Rex
First Class Passenger
Member # 1113

posted 10-06-2000 09:11 AM      Profile for Rex     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Baker...

I am probably more of a sailor than a cruiser. I have been stationed on 3 US Navy ships in the 80's, and two cruise ships. I would prefer being more of a cruiser, because sailors work too damn hard for me. But I so loved the sea, there was nothing like being on the fantail of the USS LOCKWOOD (FF-1064) while she sailed across the Indian Ocean at top speed (35-40 knots), in a choppy sea. But then something about lying around the pool on an RCCL ship, plying oneself with food and drink off the Mexican coastline too. It has been almost eight years since I set foot on the deck of ANY type of ship, after I got out of the Navy, I wanted nothing else to do with the sea, but my interest was piqued again a couple of years ago when I saw a documentary on the NORWAY. Now I can't wait to go on another cruise...

I had thought about joining the Merchant Marine, but I like living in one place now and I am too set in my ways to take orders from anyone anymore - I can't even watch TOP GUN without cringing....

Hope I have answered your question...

Brandan

Posts: 1413 | From: Philadelphia PA, USA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 10-06-2000 10:15 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm just a cruiser.

Being a Sailor sounds too much like hard work

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 10-06-2000 11:48 AM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am the cruiser, my husband was the sailor - he came from a long line of sailors, but he himself only spent 2 summers in the Canadian Navy, while in University, on a frigate. He loved the sea and that is why we started cruising back in '81. Bet he's cruising up in heaven! He always said take my ashes on a cruise and spread them in the ocean. I just couldn't do that.

[This message has been edited by sympatico (edited 10-06-2000).]

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
jmperry1
First Class Passenger
Member # 1462

posted 10-06-2000 01:09 PM      Profile for jmperry1   Email jmperry1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was a sailor. I come from a seagoing family. My father was an engineering officer in the Merchant Marine. He sailed tankers for Standard Oil before I was born, then in the early fifties switched to MSTS (now MSC) the U.S. Navy's merchant auxillary. Two of my brothers also did short stints in the Merchant Marine. I was in the U.S. Navy for six years as an electronic technician. Ironically, I spent half that time on sea intensive ships, with civilian merchant crews actually running the ships. I also spent a very short amount of time on the USS Enterprise and on an FBM submarine.

As much as I love being at sea, I never really considered staying in the Navy or shipping out with the Merchant service. But spending long periods as a passenger DOES appeal to me, I just wish I could afford it.

James

Posts: 71 | From: Oakland CA USA | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 10-06-2000 01:43 PM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
jmperri....James, So you worked aboard the Enterprise??? I had so wanted to visit that ship while she was being refitted in Bremerton, I was close once when an officer said he would get me and my family passes to see the ship...we made a special trip to Seattle from Minnesota just to see that ship, and when we got there...the officer that I was in touch with went on vacation and didn't leave passes like he said he would. Oh well.

Say, can you reveal the top speed of Enterprise, or maybe event the cruising speed? I was once told that Enterprise could do eighty knots....is that true?

By the way, I was a sailor and a passenger.

Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 10-06-2000 01:45 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I believe there should be a third category here, namely "voyager" into which I hereby insert myself. Unfortunately this category only exists now for those who can take "freighter cruises."

I have nattered unmercifully in these pages about "voyages" on the French-flag Messageries Maritimes lines, while stationed in SE Asia.

The line ran three ships in "express services" between Marseilles and Yokohama. We took voyage-segments between Bombay and Saigon; Saigon and Yokohama; Hong Kong and Bangkok; and othe combinations.

We found as fellow passengers, French Civil Servants and schoolteachers being "posted" to (South) Vietnam; the French Ambassador to (North) Vietnam; other diplomats, executives, and occasionally package-tourists of US and UK travel companies, who booked segment-passages for guests, typically between Hong Kong and Singapore.

I say a different category because the voyages were not cruises in the sense we see in these postings. They transported people and their goods and chattels between ports from Europe to Asia. Indian civil servants chatted it up with Pakistani businessmen; French expats from Djibouti compared notes with rubber execs in Vietnam; and it differed from the typical "cruise" as day is from night.

Then, the postings here of hard-working "sailors" point to another example. They recall memorable maritime experiences in the "Gray Funnel Line"

As a "officer passenger" in the latter days of WWII, on the USNS "Blatchford," one of the most memorable sights I can remember was silently ghosting past the ominous dark bulk of Guadacanal at perhaps 14 knots, under full blackout in glassy calm seas, and watching scores of flying fishes diving ahead of the ship's wake reflected in a full moon.

This made we want to undertake ocean travel for pleasure some day - and I did!

[This message has been edited by Cambodge (edited 10-14-2000).]

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
vulcania
First Class Passenger
Member # 822

posted 10-06-2000 02:27 PM      Profile for vulcania   Email vulcania   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cambodge - I am writing a book about the USA's P2 and C4 transports..the BLATCHFORD was one of the C4s. Joe will give you my email address if you would care to give me a couple of insights and anecdotes about your time in her...and I would surely appreciate personal recollections. They make a book better. Thanks
Posts: 182 | From: Baltimore, MD USA | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
norman warren
First Class Passenger
Member # 1602

posted 10-06-2000 08:38 PM      Profile for norman warren   Email norman warren   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was in the Gray fleet for 4 years then
went to Exxon for 20 years including the sistership to the "Valdez".At 200,000 DWT
it was a smooth ride.still cruise occasionally,last one was Regal Empress.
will be going again in Nov., same ship.
Guess Im still a sailor. norman

Posts: 117 | From: suffolk va. u.s.a. | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
jmperry1
First Class Passenger
Member # 1462

posted 10-07-2000 12:47 PM      Profile for jmperry1   Email jmperry1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Barryboat:

I was only on Enterprise about six months at the very end of my enlistment. I worked on navigation equipment. The actual top speed is classified and I was never privy to that information. Friends in the engineering department told me unofficially that it was about 65-70 knots. As I said, I don't really know the true answer.

Vulcania:

If you finish that book on the P-2's, I'll buy one. My dad spent most of my childhood on P-2's. My favorite (and I think his) was the General Sultan. We have photos of him and my brother John (Jr.) together on that ship. Dad was one of the first engineers (they had one for each engine room and there were two) and my brother was a U.S Navy Medical Corpsman stationed onboard. Among others my dad sailed were the Gordon, Barret, and Richardson.

My brother Bill also sailed on the Barret as a merchant seaman for a few cruises. AS I said, I'd love to get a copy of the book.

James

Baker
First Class Passenger
Member # 1311

posted 10-09-2000 11:53 PM      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by sympatico:
I am the cruiser, my husband was the sailor - he came from a long line of sailors, but he himself only spent 2 summers in the Canadian Navy, while in University, on a frigate. He loved the sea and that is why we started cruising back in '81. Bet he's cruising up in heaven! He always said take my ashes on a cruise and spread them in the ocean. I just couldn't do that.

[This message has been edited by sympatico (edited 10-06-2000).]

Sorry to hear your husband is no longer with us,his request to be put in the sea is what I have requested for my ashes. To start with my daughter said she would scatter them off my old ship 'Oriana1',at sea, then as the ship was retired to Japan, seems like I was going off the rear of the ship into the sea of Japan,( always wanted to go to Japan )now she is a hotel ship in Shanghai, China.in a very mucky river,now I'm not too keen on that idea. Keep smiling. B

Posts: 221 | From: Rosebud, by the Bay.Victoria, Australia | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 10-11-2000 08:32 PM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We're cruisers, I use my camera a lot for interiors and exteriors.
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Terri Lee
First Class Passenger
Member # 942

posted 10-12-2000 11:07 PM      Profile for Terri Lee     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I am a cruiser but I was bitten by the sea bug many years ago....my grandfather was a steward on the boats between Holyhead,Wales and Dublin,Ireland,back at the turn of the 20th century. He used to tell me wild stories about life on the boats...and of course,being a wide-eyed little girl,I believed everything the old reprobate told me!!!

However,the down side to his tales came from my grandmother.It seems that many was the time she and other "sea" wives would stand at the end of the jetty(I think that was the word she used)at the height of a storm,watching and waiting for any sign of their men and hoping the ship wouldn't be dashed onto the rocks!
Needless to say,she was very relieved when Grandpa finally gave up going to sea and became a land-lubber!!

The closest I ever got to becoming a "sailor" was when I joined the local Sea Cadets as a junior ship's writer...I just adored the uniform!!(sigh)

Just sign me a sea lover!!

TL :-))

Posts: 292 | From: Burlington Ontario Canada | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Jules
First Class Passenger
Member # 1529

posted 10-13-2000 05:00 AM      Profile for Jules        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm a cruiser and a sailor of sorts. My dad had a small sailing yacht (one of the really old fashioned wooden types which needed to be varnished frequently - I hate varnish!) which was anchored at Inverkip on the Clyde. We used to go out most weekends and head "doon the water" or across to Rothsay.

I loved the peace and serenity that being in the middle of a body of water seems to bring. As I got older cruising seemed to be a natural progression (and no need to varnish).

Posts: 136 | From: Scotland | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 10-13-2000 09:15 AM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jules....Do you still live near the Clyde? What has become of the John Brown Shipyard? Are they still building ships? I have no idea.. I seem to remember hearing somewhere that the shipyard was closed down some years ago but I'm not sure.
Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99  |  IP: Logged
bugsykitty
First Class Passenger
Member # 1580

posted 10-13-2000 12:19 PM      Profile for bugsykitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I imagine I could call myself a sailor as my first "cruise" was on USS Hayler DD-997 in 1988, as a research scientist. We cruised from Norfolk to St. Thomas, and I was collecting data on sonar research.

I also spent quite a bit of time in the 80s and 90s working on and around submarines (do they count?)

My background is in underwater acoustics, so it's rather obvious that I spend lots of time in and under the ocean. I caught the cruising bug in 1990 -- when we went to Alaska on REGENT SUN -- now there was a ship that I loved!

Dee

Posts: 17 | From: Columbia MD USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
jmperry1
First Class Passenger
Member # 1462

posted 10-14-2000 12:56 AM      Profile for jmperry1   Email jmperry1   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Bugsykitty:

Your post grabbed my attention because when I was stationed aboard USNS Michelson in the early 70's, I was nominally responsible for a very sophisticated sonar array system that was being used to make detailed relief maps of the ocean bottom. I say nominally because there were never any problems requiring my intervention.

James

[This message has been edited by jmperry1 (edited 10-14-2000).]

TLM
Just Boarded
Member # 1600

posted 10-14-2000 03:37 AM      Profile for TLM   Email TLM   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cruiser with sailor genes...

Quick anecdote related to life on the sea... I was at ellis island in ny and saw an exhibit that showed a merchant seamen's handbook open to a certain page with pictures of flags (various signaling and national banners). It stirred a memory so deep that it literally shook me from head to toe. I remembered that as a child (maybe 5-6 years old, I am 43 now) I had looked at a book that had a page just like the one in the exhibit. My father was a merchant seaman back in the 1940's and the book I remembered looking at was his. When I returned from NY, I related the story to my father (he is 74) and we had a wonderful conversation regarding his time at sea and I learned about a lot of things I had never known about him. Although I had always known about his time on liberty ships, it was something we had never discussed in such depth.

The sea can give you gifts when you least expect them.

Posts: 7 | From: Long Beach, CA, USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ryndam
First Class Passenger
Member # 1315

posted 10-14-2000 04:20 AM      Profile for Ryndam   Email Ryndam   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I'm a sailor. I'm presently working as a Deck Officer on board cruise ships. I'm not a cruiser because after several mounths at sea to work I don't like to spend my vacation periods there.

Ryndam

[This message has been edited by Ryndam (edited 10-14-2000).]

Posts: 260 | From: Genoa (Italy) | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged
bugsykitty
First Class Passenger
Member # 1580

posted 10-14-2000 10:52 AM      Profile for bugsykitty     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jmperry1:
Hi Bugsykitty:

Your post grabbed my attention because when I was stationed aboard USNS Michelson in the early 70's, I was nominally responsible for a very sophisticated sonar array system that was being used to make detailed relief maps of the ocean bottom. I say nominally because there were never any problems requiring my intervention.

James

[This message has been edited by jmperry1 (edited 10-14-2000).]

Hello James,

I've worked 20 years for the US Navy. Now I'm just a "policy wonk" -- getting too old to climb rope ladders onto DDGs, and to make the boat transfer to boomers and attack boats -- but I had fun for many years.

Early on, I did some under ice research, and spent 5 weeks on top of an ice camp 150 miles north of Barter Island. I spent lots of years working with some great people at Plessey, Honeywell, Marconi, Loral and BAe on a joint program with the UK. I did a tour at OPNAV setting requirements for new mine clearing sonars. Then, five years of certifying ASWCS (if you have to ask, you probably wouldn't want to know what it means <vbg> ). Since 1999, I've been out of the sonar business and having fun with no more travel requirements.

I love working for the Navy; the people are incredibly dedicated, and bright. The young sailors are some of the most intelligent young people I have had the pleasure of working with; my senior chief who supported me as fleet liaison for two years was a true joy (and he taught me all those wonderful salty sayings that are no longer politically correct, but OH SO ACCURATE!!).

That's probably why I love to cruise these days; it is my last connection with the sea since I now just work in an office. No more trips on SSNs, SSBNs, DDGs and CGs.

Dee

Posts: 17 | From: Columbia MD USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Jules
First Class Passenger
Member # 1529

posted 10-15-2000 07:02 PM      Profile for Jules        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Barryboat - yes John Brown is still there but only hanging by a thread. There are very few orders on the books at present for any of the ship builders on the Clyde. Its a political hot potato here as a lot of the militery orders go to yards outwith the UK for some strange reason.
Posts: 136 | From: Scotland | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
Gerry
First Class Passenger
Member # 168

posted 10-16-2000 10:57 AM      Profile for Gerry     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

I am definitely a sailor. In fact my email address on an old account used to be "Simplsailr".
I joined the Sea Cadets when I was 9 yrs old and was on my first warship for a short trip when I was 11. I went to see full time when I was 16 and only came ashore when I was 36. I now work in the head office of the same cruiseline and am very closely involved with the new development side of ships , but I'm still only a simple sailor

Posts: 315 | From: Miami, Florida, (originally from UK) | Registered: Jun 99  |  IP: Logged
Baker
First Class Passenger
Member # 1311

posted 11-02-2000 04:35 AM      Profile for Baker   Email Baker   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for all the replys Guys and Gals,

Its interesting to see what a mixed bunch we are, from old deck hands to cruise directors. Cheers B

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.