- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » The Royal Viking Sisters (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: The Royal Viking Sisters
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-12-2000 05:48 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I returned from an excellent cruise on Fred Olsen's 'Black Watch' in the summer. She was a charming smaller ship (28,000 tons) with classic lines.

I was later surprised to find that she had two sisters: Hyundai Kumgang and Norwegian Star. Originally they were Royal Viking Star, Sky and Sea. They were built in Finland in 1973/73.

Has anyone here cruised on the Kumgang or Star? I think that they are both still operational?

Any information about there role now or history with Royal Viking would be welcome.

[This message has been edited by Malcolm (edited 02-10-2001).]

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Beezo
First Class Passenger
Member # 1505

posted 11-12-2000 11:55 PM      Profile for Beezo   Author's Homepage   Email Beezo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
were they the ships in Royal Cruise Line??

by the way...i think one of them was the NORWEGIAN STAR from Norwegian Capricorn Line...the ship is now apart of Star cruise (i believe)

Brian

Posts: 865 | From: Massachusetts, USA | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged
juddy
First Class Passenger
Member # 1610

posted 11-13-2000 04:53 AM      Profile for juddy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Norwegian Star has just finished a year
cruising out of Sydney Australia. The people
who cruised on her said she was a excellent
ship. unfortunatley they tried to sell her as
a 5 star ship , she might have been too
compared to the 45 year old Fair Princess
her oppositon. But towards the end of this year numbers fell away , so they decided to
take her back to asia i think. but im not
100%
Jason

Posts: 24 | From: sydney australia | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-13-2000 06:51 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Black Watch is rated as 4 star by Berlitz.

I personally rated her food and entertainment as 5 star and I'd also give her 5 stars for charm! However, I accept that a 28 year old ship is bound to show her age a little!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 11-13-2000 01:54 PM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here a little historic and technical review:

MS ROYAL VIKING STAR:
built in 1971 for Royal Viking Line at Wärtsilä Yards, Turku
21847 grt length: 177,70 m beam: 25,20 m
streched at Schichau Seebeckwerft, Bremerhaven in 1981 (now 28034 grt)
1987: Royal Viking Line was aquired by Kloster Cruises, Oslo
April 1991: the ship was transfered to Kloster´s Norwegian Cruise Line, renamed WESTWARD
May 1994: the ship was transfered to Kloster´s Royal Cruise Line, renamed STAR ODYSSEY
October 1996: sold to Fred. Olsen Lines, Oslo, renamed BLACK WATCH
(still in service)

ROYAL VIKING SKY
built in 1972 for Royal Viking Line at Wärtsilä Yards, Turku
21891 grt, length: 177,70 m beam: 25,20 m
streched in 1982 at S. Seebeckwerft, Bremerhaven (now 28078 grt)
1991: the ship was transfered to Kloster´s Norwegian Cruise Line, renamed SUNWARD
1992: sold to Birka Cruises, Marienhamn, renamed BIRKA QUEEN.
October 1992: chartered back by NCL, renamed SUNWARD
1993: chartered to Princess Cruises, renamed GOLDEN PRINCESS
1996: fire in the engine room destroyes all engines
1996: chartered to Star Cruises, renamed SUPERSTAR CAPRICORN
1998: sub-chartered by Hyundai Merchant Marine, renamed HYUNDAI KEUMGANG
(still in service)

ROYAL VIKING SEA
built in 1973 for Royal Viking Line at Wärtsilä Yards, Turku
21848 grt, length: 177,70 m beam: 25,20 m
streched in 1983 at S. Seebeckwerft, Bremerhaven (now 28018 grt)
1991 transfered to Kloster´s Royal Cruise Line, renamed ROYAL ODYSSEY
1996: Engine - failure, repairs needed in Vancouver
1997: sold to Actioner Shipping, Oslo chartered by Norwegian Cruise Line, renamed NORWEGIAN STAR, later managed through Norwegian Capricorn Line
2000: chartered by Star Cruises after Norwegian Capricorn ceased operations, ship will be renamed SUPERSTAR CAPRICORN II
(still in service)

further ships of the Royal Viking Line were:

ROYAL VIKING SUN
built in 1988 at Wärtsilä Yards for Royal Viking Line
April 1996: arrest in Sharm el-Sheikh after destroying a natural reef with the hull, passengers had to be disembarked and flown home.
June 1996: Royal Viking Line is aquired by Cunard Line Ltd. with all rights to keep name and logo
1999: ship transfered to Seabourn Cruise Line, renamed SEABOURN SUN
(still in service)

ROYAL VIKING QUEEN
built in 1992 at Schichau Seebeckwerft, Bremerhaven for Royal Viking Line after not been taken over by Seabourn Cruise Line like its two sisterships SEABOURN PRIDE and SEABOURN SPIRIT.
July 1996: transfered to Kloster´s Royal Cruise Line and renamed QUEEN ODYSSEY
1998: transfered to Seabourn Cruise Line, renamed SEABOURN LEGEND.
(still in service)

All together, the three Royal Viking-sisters are some of the most beautiful cruiseships around. Classic, traditional, good profile, not too old, well maintained and in the right size. Even though the new owners / operators manage them well and it´s still something special to cruise with the once highest rated cruiseships, I wouldn´t mind seeing the old Royal Viking Line coming up again with this trio.

[This message has been edited by Patrick (edited 11-13-2000).]

Posts: 1680 | From: OSC Luxembourg | Registered: Nov 98  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-14-2000 05:57 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the info Patrick. MS ROYAL VIKING STAR was stretched too. She's now 28,492.

Interestingly all three ships are a similar size and have similar passenger capacities (based on 2 per cabin). However, according to Berlitz, Black Watch has 330 staff, Star has 380 and Kumgang 600! Can this be right?

Fairsky
First Class Passenger
Member # 781

posted 11-14-2000 06:25 PM      Profile for Fairsky   Email Fairsky   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The original Royal Viking Line sisters (star, sky, and sea) have an interesting origen. Three shipping tycoons wanted to start a luxury cruise line. Royal Viking Line was born and each of the three partners owned one of the three identical ships.

When the line wanted to increase capasity rather than building a new ship all three sisters were stretched. They were famous for their top-notch service, larger single-seating dinning rooms, and exotic itineraries.

Royal Viking Line was an early trail blazer of the luxury lines of today like Seabourn, Crystal, and Radisson Seven Seas.

Posts: 1685 | From: Chicago, Illinois | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Beezo
First Class Passenger
Member # 1505

posted 11-15-2000 02:55 AM      Profile for Beezo   Author's Homepage   Email Beezo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Does anybody have any more pictures of the ...Star, Sky, Sea?

thanx
Brian

[This message has been edited by Beezo (edited 11-15-2000).]

PauloMestre
First Class Passenger
Member # 1613

posted 11-15-2000 07:23 AM      Profile for PauloMestre   Email PauloMestre   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beezo:
Does anybody have any more pictures of the ...Star, Sky, Sea?

thanx
Brian

[This message has been edited by Beezo (edited 11-15-2000).]

Golden Princess (ex Royal Viking Sky)

Regards

Paulo Mestre

Posts: 311 | From: Alhos Vedros, Setubal, Portugal | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
NAL
First Class Passenger
Member # 1102

posted 11-15-2000 09:36 AM      Profile for NAL     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
FIRST CLASS CRUISING....

For those who think Royal Viking Line was
tops, I wish you had sailed on Swedish-
American Line. They really knew how to do
it.......they were truly deluxe cruising!!
RVL was good with the original ships, but
can you imagine the Kungsholm, 26,000 GRT,
and only 450 pax.....tops!

Posts: 2243 | From: Watsontown, PA | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-15-2000 07:13 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Fred. Olsen, a Norwegian Company, are doing a pretty good job of looking after the Black Watch. O.K she has a few little rust spots, but that is to be expected with any aging ship!

The engines are still the original 2-stroke ones! I spoke to the Chief Engineer who said it was quite a challenge keeping the old lady going! She has not had a multi-million pound refit like the QE2.

She only ever spends a minimal time in dry dock. Most of the maintaance is done by the ships crew, while she is at sea or in port! Spare parts often have to be made!

She is really a charming and classic ship. She just about cruises everywhere in the world, from Scandinavia, the Med, Caribbean and even Africa. The prices are reasonable too.

My Review: http://www.travelpage.com/yourfav/cruise/yfc_fb_watch_2.htm

Travelpage Profile: http://www.cruiseserver.net/travelpage/cruiselines/f_olsen.asp

The Black Prince is a strange little ship, she used to be a Banana Cargo ship! However, she has a very loyal following with older Brits. I'm told that she is one of the most friendly ships at afloat.

[This message has been edited by Malcolm (edited 02-10-2001).]

gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 11-18-2000 11:26 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi...the three companies, Bergen Line Nordenfjelske and Klaveness, which founded RVL built one ship each.
If you check the ship profiles on this site you'll find the their story listed under Royal Cruise Line and the Star Odyssey.
...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Jesse C
First Class Passenger
Member # 1678

posted 11-19-2000 04:22 PM      Profile for Jesse C   Email Jesse C   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Ocean Princess I is now the Hyundai Pumgak, owned by Hyundai Merchant marine in South Korea. Here is something else: They are the same guys who made your Elantra, Tiburon, Santa Fe, or Accent, if you have one.
Posts: 244 | From: Houston, Texas, United States of America | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 11-19-2000 04:40 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jesse...the Hyundai Pungak is the ex Island Princess of P&O/Princess. The previous Ocean Princess of Ocean Cruise Line, originally the Italia, Princess Italia, etc. is now the Sapphire of Louis Cruise, on charter to Thompsons.
She was a good ship when Ocean had her.
...peter

Eric Cruises
First Class Passenger
Member # 957

posted 11-20-2000 12:12 PM      Profile for Eric Cruises   Author's Homepage   Email Eric Cruises   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sorry, Patrick. Star Cruises will keep the name Norwegian Star, she will be not renamed after tranferr to Star Cruises.
Here is the pics of Norwegian Star operating under Star Cruises.

---------------------------------------------
Royal Viking Star now is operating under Eric Cruises Corp.'s flag and sail out Taiwan. (JUST MY IMAGINARY)
http://hometown.aol.com/ericcruises/EricDream.html

Thank You!

[This message has been edited by Eric Lee (edited 11-20-2000).]

Posts: 301 | From: Hong Kong, China | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 11-20-2000 01:37 PM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the updated info Eric !
Posts: 1680 | From: OSC Luxembourg | Registered: Nov 98  |  IP: Logged
CRUISOLOGY
First Class Passenger
Member # 1693

posted 11-28-2000 09:23 AM      Profile for CRUISOLOGY   Email CRUISOLOGY   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the memories. I sailed all three.The Sky was my least favorite, but I had my best cruise on Her. Even met a woman in 1983 that I married in 1997.

I still wear my Skald Pin but as years go by less and less cruiser know what it is.

Posts: 29 | From: Mt Pleasant, SC USA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-08-2001 06:36 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Feb. 2001

There are still rumours that Fred.Olsen will buy the 'Norwegian Star' (ex Royal Viking sea).

It is know that Olsen has a disire to own all three of the viking trio.

Beezo
First Class Passenger
Member # 1505

posted 02-09-2001 10:48 PM      Profile for Beezo   Author's Homepage   Email Beezo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is that true? I would love to see those ships back together! that would be really nice. how long do you think it will be??

Brian

Grant
First Class Passenger
Member # 1000

posted 02-09-2001 11:59 PM      Profile for Grant   Email Grant   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
A little more trivia about these Royal Viking ships. They are almost identical to the 3 original Royal Caribbean vessel, have the same general arrangements of public rooms, mechanical systems and decks. The engine rooms and bridges are identical, including the same main and auxillary equipment. The same architect designed all six ships, with the Royal Vikings being about 20 feet longer and fitted out to a much higher standard including a forward "look out" bar atop the bridges. All 6 were constructed one after the other in the same shipyard, Yard # 392-397, and 5 of them (not Sun Viking) were lengthened at the same time, using the same plans, but in different shipyards. All have had very successful careers, seldom making the news. An exception to this was a nasty murder in a Penthouse suite by a personal butler just off Vancouver Island. This became a movie, the title of which I never did remember.
Posts: 834 | From: Victoria, BC, Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 02-10-2001 05:15 AM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Grant...I'm surprised you didn't go to the murder trial in Victoria. I used to have the book but gave it to a friend from San Francisco who knew some of the people.
...peter

Beezo
First Class Passenger
Member # 1505

posted 02-10-2001 08:25 AM      Profile for Beezo   Author's Homepage   Email Beezo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Were they really all streched at the same time? wow! that line must have been doing good then! what ended up happening to them?

Brian

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-10-2001 09:00 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Beezo:
Is that true? I would love to see those ships back together! that would be really nice. how long do you think it will be?? Brian

Brian, we should shortly here if Olsen has purchased the 'Norwegian Star'.

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-10-2001 09:11 AM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The Black Watch will be having a refit in March, 2001. However, there is a sad piece of news, in my opinion. The Marina Deck Theatre is being converted into 16 inside cabins. The Marina Theatre, is a charming little tiered Cinema, with 156 seats, decorated in a retro style. In my opinion this will be a sad loss.

Although the Black Watch has adequate public rooms, the Marina Theatre did provide an additional choice for the passengers. My wife and I particularly enjoy seeing a movie in it during our cruise in August 2000.

Although I welcome the creation of 16 more budget cabins, I assume that this equals as many as 32 extra passengers? The show lounge and dining room will soon have to accommodate these.

Although the Black Watch does have a reasonable passenger to space ratio, additional cabins will not help matters.
However, she will still be a charming old lady, in a good condition, with a surprising amount of public rooms and deck space.

Fred has just launched a brand new web site. Although it looks very fancy, it is very slow and simply does not work properly yet I think that the web master needs to put in some overtime!

http://www.fredolsencruises.co.uk/

[This message has been edited by Malcolm (edited 02-26-2001).]

Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-12-2001 04:33 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Feb. Update

Fred.Olsen has changed their mind. They are NOT converting the Black Watch's Marina Theatre into cabins in the March refit.

I'd like to think that they have read this post and re-considered? However, I suspect that it may just be a stay of execution?

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.