- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise line released the following statement regarding Hurricane Beryl:

Carnival's Fleet Operations Center in Miami is actively monitoring forecasts for possible impacts to itineraries from Hurricane Beryl. Given Hurricane Beryl’s projected path, Carnival has adjusted the following itineraries: Carnival Horizon will add a visit to Nassau, The Bahamas on Friday, July 5....

Latest News...Oceania Cruises has marked an important milestone in the construction of its new 1,200-guest ship, Allura, at the Fincantieri shipyard in Sestri Ponente, Italy, bordering the famed seaport of Genoa. A landmark moment as the ship moves towards completion, the vessel was floated from the dry-dock and moved to the fitting-out berth to begin outfitting the luxurious, designer-inspired interiors....

Latest News...Crystal, the leader in exceptional cruise experiences, announced today the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with renowned Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri. This agreement marks the commencement of the construction of two groundbreaking ships that will redefine high-end travel on the seas.The 690-passenger (based on double occupancy), 61,800-gross-ton ships ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Rumours of APOLLON return!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Rumours of APOLLON return!
AJL
First Class Passenger
Member # 956

posted 02-14-2001 03:33 PM      Profile for AJL   Author's Homepage   Email AJL   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rumours of APOLLON return
Feb 14, 2001: Royal Olympic Cruises are reported to be taking APOLLON out of lay up for the 2001 season. This ship appears in the London issued ROC brochure of summers sailings. With a blue hull she will sail on 3- and 4-night itineraries from Piraeus.

Source: Maritime Matters http://www.maritimematters.com

If this is true, it's great news, I'm in love with the APOLLON!! I think she's the most beautiful ship in the world!!

AJL

P.S. I don't really like the idea of blue hull at all. Let's hope she doesn't look all that bad as it sounds!

[This message has been edited by AJL (edited 02-14-2001).]

Posts: 710 | From: Helsinki, Finland (birth place of Nokia + many ships) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Italian Cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1684

posted 02-14-2001 04:58 PM      Profile for Italian Cruiser   Email Italian Cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
In the italian brochure of Royal Olympic Cruises there isn't trace of the Apollon.I think that it's strange that ROC could operate this ship(they insist in the concept of medium size charming classic vessel).I retain that the Apollon is a wonderful ship with fine classic lines(when operated by Carnival it looked splendid with the white hull.I have never liked the beige colour of Epirotiki and the Blue colour of Sun Lines).
Posts: 887 | From: Orvieto (Italy) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Panos
First Class Passenger
Member # 1022

posted 02-14-2001 06:13 PM      Profile for Panos     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think Italian cruiser does not like anything which has to do with Royal Olympic Cruises or the former companies Epirotiki and Sun Line ...
Anyway if the news are true then it means that Roc is going better and better and they will be offering more cruises in the coming summers .

[This message has been edited by Pan (edited 02-14-2001).]

Posts: 443 | From: Cyprus | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Italian Cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1684

posted 02-15-2001 10:20 AM      Profile for Italian Cruiser   Email Italian Cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To Pan:Sorry but I disagree with you.I liked two things of the former Epirotiki.1) the Carla Costa/Pallas Athena,the best ship they ever had.2) the long cruises performed by the Odysseus and World Renaissance from Venice and Genoa.About Sun Lines it's true:I have never liked this company,particularly because their operated their ship speaking English,French,Germany and Spanish but not Italian.Sorry the actualli prices of ROC reflect the Sun Line tendence to overpriced its cruise product.I think that Louis Cruis Lines is far better,particularly for the wonderful Princessa Victoria and Sapphire(this company offers also excellent value for short cruising).
AJL
First Class Passenger
Member # 956

posted 02-15-2001 12:08 PM      Profile for AJL   Author's Homepage   Email AJL   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Here's a little manipulation I made of the Apollon with blue hull (and the same colour tone funnel). I still think that the white one looks better...

AJL

[This message has been edited by AJL (edited 02-15-2001).]

Posts: 710 | From: Helsinki, Finland (birth place of Nokia + many ships) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
Panos
First Class Passenger
Member # 1022

posted 02-15-2001 12:28 PM      Profile for Panos     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I.C. sorry for that...I did n't meant to be rude.
As I wrote in a previous posting, I think that since Roc is relaunched under the Louis management we should give them the chance to be an excellent modern company.
Generally I think that the main thing all Europeans should deal with is, why there are too few ships cruising in our area. This has a result to pay more to get a service similar to that you get in USA and of course have fewer itinerary options

[This message has been edited by Pan (edited 02-15-2001).]

Italian Cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1684

posted 02-15-2001 01:28 PM      Profile for Italian Cruiser   Email Italian Cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To Pan: you weren't absolutely rude.About ROC is a good thing theyr choice to build new cruise ships,but I retain that the Olympic Voyager and Explorer are too old style for these reasons:1)small cabins like on the Triton and Olympic Countess 2)few private balcony.ROC should transfer to Louis the World Renaissance,Odysseus,Stella Oceanis and Solaris,turning back the Sapphire and the Emerald(it's time that Thompson cruises purchase a ship).To AJL:great postcard!this ship could offer great cruises in Europe(the white hull is fantastic.I think that the Royal blue hull looks well only on Holland America ships.Even Renaissance Cruises isn't so charming in this colour).
PauloMestre
First Class Passenger
Member # 1613

posted 02-15-2001 04:59 PM      Profile for PauloMestre   Email PauloMestre   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 

Sorry guys, but comparing the original photo with the altered one, I like it more with the blue hull.
This is only a matter of taste and opinion of course, but white it's starting to be a bit worned-out for cruise ships. But of course certain ships looks better with a particular type of color.

ROC is managing quite well the combination of older and more classic ships with newbuilds. I personally like the VOYAGER/EXPLORER pair, they are handsome vessels and more elegant that the average "floating condominium cruise ship".

Regards

Paulo Mestre

Posts: 311 | From: Alhos Vedros, Setubal, Portugal | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
geno-r
First Class Passenger
Member # 931

posted 02-15-2001 07:03 PM      Profile for geno-r   Email geno-r   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Wasn't this ship with Premeir for a very short period of time with the Triton? Is that how it got painted blue?

Posts: 549 | From: Mt. Pocono,Pa. Usa | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
blf49
First Class Passenger
Member # 502

posted 02-15-2001 08:30 PM      Profile for blf49   Email blf49   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Blue Hull/White Hull? I can't make up my mind. But my oh my what a beauty. Hope she's back in service this year. But I'll never get there this year. Ah, well.
Posts: 56 | From: Seattle, WA, US | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
AJL
First Class Passenger
Member # 956

posted 02-16-2001 05:06 AM      Profile for AJL   Author's Homepage   Email AJL   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Geno-r: No, the Apollon hasn't been owned by Premier. AND NOTICE: THE PIC WITH THE BLUE HULL IS MANIPULATED BY ME, the Apollon is still white, but ROC is planning to paint her hull blue.

AJL

Patrick
First Class Passenger
Member # 364

posted 02-16-2001 01:08 PM      Profile for Patrick     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The reason why ROC actually has painted all their ships with a blue hull has three reasons:
- to represent the Greek flag
- to unify their fleet with the Sun Lines ships
- due to negotiations for a joint-venture with Premier Cruises (the transfer of the TRITON and ODYSSEUS to Premier was part of that deal which was never realized finally)

I think the APOLLON doesn´t look bad witha blue hull. One more reason for ROC to add some of the former Premier-ships to their fleet (REMBRANDT or SEAWIND CROWN and ISLAND BREEZE for example).

Posts: 1680 | From: OSC Luxembourg | Registered: Nov 98  |  IP: Logged
Italian Cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1684

posted 02-16-2001 04:19 PM      Profile for Italian Cruiser   Email Italian Cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
To Patrick: you have indicated the finest ships in the former Premier fleet,but I think that it isn't possible that they can join ROC.The policy of this company is to operate smaller vessel(the Olympic,the largest ship that they ever had operated for ROC for just three years.Even the Apollo is a little big for their standards).
Panos
First Class Passenger
Member # 1022

posted 02-17-2001 07:11 AM      Profile for Panos     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I thing that the size of ships that ROC operates depends mainly on the ports of call. Small ships can get more easily into the tiny ports of the Greek islands. Of course a ship may always stop outside a port and passengers disemark by tenders...well thats a good solution but it is still quite strange to have a ship of 3000 people dock at an island of 100 or 200 population like many Aegean island are.
Jesse C
First Class Passenger
Member # 1678

posted 02-17-2001 07:33 PM      Profile for Jesse C   Email Jesse C   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Suppose the MV Explorer of the Seas tendered ALL of its passengers into a greek island.

The ship passenger - resident rate would be:
35 - 2

For every two residents, there would be thrity-five passengers from the Explorer.

I guess Pan was right about it being strange.

Posts: 244 | From: Houston, Texas, United States of America | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Panos
First Class Passenger
Member # 1022

posted 03-14-2001 04:27 PM      Profile for Panos     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well I just had a look at the updated Royal Olympic Cruises page and they do not mention Apollon anywhere.
So...is she coming back or not?

In other ROC news...Today ROC has announced great results for 2000 with profits up to $1.7 million compared to $10.8 million loss in 1999. Although small, the profit reflects the better management of ROC by Louis Cruise Lines and it is expected that the profits will rise steeply during this year. In fact the bookings for Summer 2001 are 24% higher than they were at this time last year.

[This message has been edited by Pan (edited 03-14-2001).]

Panos
First Class Passenger
Member # 1022

posted 03-16-2001 03:23 PM      Profile for Panos     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Come on people ...someone out there must know.
anthemius
First Class Passenger
Member # 1859

posted 03-19-2001 01:01 PM      Profile for anthemius   Author's Homepage   Email anthemius   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have phoned ROC in Athens and they told me, the Apollon will cruise this year. They will send me their international brochure, which has the ship. According to infomare.it the charter contract between ROC and Airtours has been agreed to cease one year early by both sides, ROC and Airtours, on 18. Jan. 2001.

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.