- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Poseidon Adventure remake testing waters

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Poseidon Adventure remake testing waters
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 02-26-2004 05:52 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
From the Hollywood Reporter

quote:
‘Poseidon’ remake testing waters

Wolfgang Petersen, Mike Fleiss teaming up

LOS ANGELES - The Poseidon, the ocean liner that famously capsized back in the 1970s, is resurfacing.

German filmmaker Wolfgang Petersen’s Radiant Pictures and reality TV impresario Mike Fleiss are producing a remake of “The Poseidon Adventure” for Warner Bros. Pictures.

The original movie, released by 20th Century Fox in 1972, told the story of a ragtag group of survivors trapped on a passenger ship after it is flipped. The movie, produced by Irwin Allen, was part of a wave of big-budget disaster movies that proved popular in the ’70s. It was followed by the 1979 sequel, “Beyond the Poseidon Adventure,” which was released by Warners.

No writers are attached to the project.

Petersen is no stranger to seafaring thrillers, having directed 2000’s “The Perfect Storm” and 1981’s “Das Boot.” He is in postproduction on Warners’ “Troy,” which opens May 14.

While known for his TV shows like “The Bachelor” and “The Bachelorette,” Fleiss earned his first film credit as producer of “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” remake, which grossed more than $80 million domestically after its October release.

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Michael534
First Class Passenger
Member # 2953

posted 02-26-2004 06:32 PM      Profile for Michael534   Email Michael534   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I just don't understand why they would want to remake this movie. Nothing against the original,mind you. It's just that it has been done!

I have always thought that Hollywood should do a film about the Andrea Doria/ Stockholm collision.
It would make a great movie! Just the fact that the audience would leave having to decide for themselves who was at fault would be great PR for the film.
Same goes for the Morro Castle. It's another story that is shrouded in mystery. Why not bring one of these stories to the screen? They would be a lot more interresting and IMO probably bigger money makers than the retelling of the fictional Posieden!

I'm not a big fan of remakes. Very rarely have they ever been blockbusters. I can't think of one right now.

Posieden. Seen it. Done that.

Michael534

Posts: 483 | From: Washington DC | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
ScottQE2
First Class Passenger
Member # 4180

posted 02-27-2004 10:38 AM      Profile for ScottQE2   Author's Homepage   Email ScottQE2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Titanic?

Personally, I've been dreaming of this film being remade, up to date fashins, today's technology in film making, I'd be the first to rush out and see it. I know the whole script backwards and forwards. I just hope it actually happens.

Scott

[ 02-27-2004: Message edited by: ScottQE2 ]

Posts: 165 | From: USA | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Onno
First Class Passenger
Member # 3071

posted 02-27-2004 10:55 AM      Profile for Onno   Author's Homepage   Email Onno   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There is a possibility that this time the Queen Mary is not used as the Poseidon, it could be they design a fictive liner altogether (makes a computer model more flexible to utilize for the special effects) Or just place the story on a modern cruise ship.

Who knows?!

Onno

Posts: 3583 | From: the Netherlands (Berenbotje ging uit varen...) | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
ScottQE2
First Class Passenger
Member # 4180

posted 02-27-2004 11:06 AM      Profile for ScottQE2   Author's Homepage   Email ScottQE2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, I think the QM2 would be the best choice, especially considering the glass cieling in ther dining room.

While on the innaugural caribbean a couple of weeks ago, the ship was rolling pretty good and while having dinner in there, I thought of that film.

Here is a link to another page where people discuss the remaking - especially who to cast (down towards the bottom is the latest).

ScottPoseidon Remake Discussion

[ 02-27-2004: Message edited by: ScottQE2 ]

Ðraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 02-27-2004 11:21 AM      Profile for Ðraikar   Email Ðraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I never knew there was a sequel called Beyond the Poseidon Adventure, how could there be a sequel to the Poseidon Adventure if the ship sunk ?
Posts: 1710 | From: USA, New York | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
ScottQE2
First Class Passenger
Member # 4180

posted 02-27-2004 11:28 AM      Profile for ScottQE2   Author's Homepage   Email ScottQE2   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Because at the end of the Poseidon Adventure, the ship was still afloat. It hadn't sunk yet. A group of treasure hunters/ salvagers, heard the distress call and went to the Poseidon. Interested in what might be in it's vault, they venture aboard, through the hole cut in her propellor shafts, and their adventure begins. The film did not do well in the box office, Telly Savalis was in it. I have it on tape. I remember the movie trailer said "See what secrets the dying superliner will reveal..."
geno-er
First Class Passenger
Member # 4202

posted 02-27-2004 12:43 PM      Profile for geno-er   Email geno-er   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hey I agree with Michael534, A movie about the Morro Castle would make a GREAT movie. I couldn't put the book down when I was reading it!!!!
Posts: 159 | From: Pocono's, Pa. | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
steeplechase
First Class Passenger
Member # 4056

posted 02-27-2004 03:41 PM      Profile for steeplechase   Author's Homepage   Email steeplechase   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
How about this grad one of these lines haeding towards Alang and turn her over and sink her in the end as a reef? Maybe a little to costly? O
Posts: 663 | From: elkton maryland | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 02-27-2004 03:56 PM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Alfred Hitchcock wanted to make a Titanic movie.
He wanted to get the Leviathan as a real prop and sink her.

quote:
Originally posted by steeplechase:
How about this grad one of these lines haeding towards Alang and turn her over and sink her in the end as a reef? Maybe a little to costly? O

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cambodge
First Class Passenger
Member # 906

posted 02-27-2004 04:47 PM      Profile for Cambodge   Email Cambodge   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
As one of those people (whom most hate!) who likes to point out technical glitches in films, (Jesse James could not have robbed a train fitted with airbrakes, they came much later) "Beyond the Poseidon Adventure" always bugged me.

Granted that the ship was still afloat , in the original film, after the assorted mismatches managed to get off.

Why was this so?

Answer, there was a humongous bubble of air inside, trapped in the closed compartments of the interior. Ok this happens, and people (mostly yachtspersons) have been rescued from capsized vessels after considerable periods of time, having been sustained by the trapped air.

Now in BTPA, the old "Poseidon" is a drifting around, bottom-up in a hypothetically similar situation. And this bunch of clowns, bent on pillage or something shows up to do their thing.

What do you suppose would happen as soon as their torches cut a goodly hole in the hull?? Why all the pent-up air, under considerable pressure, would escape in a mighty "whooshh" and all hands would go smartly first into the air and secondly to the bottom...for real this time, thus forgoing yet another bad sequel!

But no-o-o-o. Somehow the hull stays afloat, the rules of buoyancy having been abridged at least long enough to make a bad movie.

Or am I missing something here?

[ 02-29-2004: Message edited by: Cambodge ]

Posts: 2149 | From: St. Michaels MD USA , the town that fooled the British! | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
DAMBROSI
First Class Passenger
Member # 100

posted 02-29-2004 10:38 AM      Profile for DAMBROSI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Well, as a fan of the original. I don't like the idea too much. I say once the mold is broken......why make a new one???? It won't be as good. There will probably be more bad language in it.....more of the worst that's coming out in movies than the original. So, I know if it gets made, I won't go see it. Never fiddle with something that was already a block buster to begin with.
Posts: 2554 | From: Florida, USA, Where the Legend SS NORWAY sailed from. Moving back to FL next yr. | Registered: May 99  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 02-29-2004 02:11 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cambodge:
Or am I missing something here?

Yes! It's called 'artistic licence'.

Why not have a new Posiden Adventure movie? After all we have had three (or more?) Titanic Movies.

I can't imaginr Cunard allowing the QM2 to be used? It would hardly be good for business!

Maybe they could buy the SS Norway - that would do.

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Ðraikar
First Class Passenger
Member # 1153

posted 02-29-2004 06:30 PM      Profile for Ðraikar   Email Ðraikar   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by DAMBROSI:
There will probably be more bad language in it.....more of the worst that's coming out in movies than the original.

Don't forget sex sell so there is bound to be sex shots like Carmen Electra as a smart nurse in this remakes.

Posts: 1710 | From: USA, New York | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.