- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Oceania Cruises is offering more than a dozen immersive explorations of Alaska in 2025, taking travelers beyond typical tourist sights to discover the unique perspectives, local culture, soaring glaciers, and pristine wilderness of "The Last Frontier." An Oceania Cruises first, the 1,250-guest Riviera will sail her first season in Alaska making her the first...

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL), the innovator in global cruise travel, today revealed "Revolution: A Celebration of Prince" and "Elements: The World Expanded" as the two new exclusive entertainment offerings set to debut aboard the Company's next-generation vessel, Norwegian Aqua, in April 2025. For decades, NCL has set the standard in entertainment at sea, with worldclass productions and talent....

Latest News...Carnival Cruise Line today announced a wide variety of new 2026/27 cruises from both the east and west coasts of the U.S. The new sailings opening today feature popular destinations from the homeports of Miami, Port Canaveral and Norfolk as well as cruises to Alaska and Mexico from San Francisco. “In addition to extending our successful deployment schedules in Miami, Port Canaveral and Norfolk...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ocean Liners and Classic Cruise Ships   » Looks Like Reuben has Given Up on the SS Norway!

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Looks Like Reuben has Given Up on the SS Norway!
Redlinekid2
First Class Passenger
Member # 7157

posted 12-03-2006 01:06 AM      Profile for Redlinekid2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi everyone,
I recently contacted Reuben regarding the lack of updates, as well as Mr. Klosters group who wanted to buy the ship. Here is his reply regarding the SS Norway:

quote:

Gopal's comments say little to nothing really. He says that the matter has been brought up in Parliament, of course, the thousands of my supporters, and you may have, will have emailed them and this has caused a considerable pressure on them. I hope that it is enough to persuade the court! The ship does not sit in the water and sits on sand. However, at the Alang occasional king tides, she can be made afloat, but it will be a risky business as all her ballast will have to be removed to float and she could topple over if not careful.

The Norwegian campaign seems to have disappeared and they are now looking for other ships for their needs. Club France Prestige is trying hard, but I feel that he left his call too late thus many are not inclined to invest, although all monies are in a special trust account and will be refunded if it does not happen. John Voet, well I have not heard from him for some time although the last time I heard from him he stated that Rashid al Noori in Dubai will make a new offer as soon as the ship is ordered offshore.

My thoughts though are; the court will permit the breaking up, thanks to the many bribes paid and that will be her end. Or, if ordered offshore, her owners will sell her to China to be broken up rather that loose face. The Chinese do not give a damn about asbestos and Greenpeace or the UN can sway them. If she is towed to China, or elsewhere, she could well be lost at sea, an "accident" and the insurance will pay up!

I am sorry, but, I do believe that we will never see her in public hands again, and that I have lost the battle having trusted people too much. My page online will stay as is for the sake of the countless thousands of supporters, but, I feel she gone. I am so sorry to be so blunt, I'd rather it was positive. This campaign has taken a massive toll on my life as I worked up 18 hours a day answering the thousands of emails, writing, speaking to journalists worldwide. Then the pressure of the workload took its toll and I had my stroke, which slowed me down and it still has working far below my capacity. Over the past days I have been very ill, thus no replies to your emails. In addition, this campaign has cost me thousands, and I will not receive a cent from John Voet or others, it was a labour of love.

We will see how it pans out and all we can hope for is a miracle!

Kind regards

Reuben

Doesn't sound like he's confident that the courts will favor our cause. I certainly hope it doesn't come to that. All of our hard work for nothing? I can't accept that. I want the SS Norway to enjoy its golden years like the SS Rotterdam and the Queen Mary. It seems that Reuben has become quite bitter lately regarding the future of our beloved classic oceanliners.

Posts: 300 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 12-03-2006 08:09 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi All

I had not said anything about the recent health of Reuben after he had his stroke.

However I do know that he has been very sick again as a result of an email I received from his personal assistant last Tuesday.

This has been as a result of him going against his doctors orders and not resting.

He has always been a fighter but his continued working, having been told to rest, has not helped him to recover from the stroke.

Neil ( Bob )

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 12-03-2006 11:38 AM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Redlinekid2:
...Doesn't sound like he's confident that the courts will favor our cause. I certainly hope it doesn't come to that. All of our hard work for nothing? I can't accept that...

Just curious about all this hard work. Other than posting fanciful plans about what could be done if someone with money appears out of nowhere, and making pseudo-libelous claims about the ship's former owners, what work was actually done?

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 12-03-2006 12:26 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Sitting on his backside ranting at the likes of Peter Knego for being realistic and saving items from these ships can be very exhausting. Also sitting on his backside is the only work he's done. He had no involvement in trying to save her in India. s usual he leaves things up to other people then claims glory. He reckons he saved Rotterdam V you know.
Posts: 2023 | From: Hythe, Hants | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Redlinekid2
First Class Passenger
Member # 7157

posted 12-03-2006 12:36 PM      Profile for Redlinekid2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Joe,
What I mean by our hard work, I was implying on the email campaign to convince the appropriate officials to ban the SS Norway from Indian territorial waters. I've been doing some research on the current members of the court. They don't give in to bribery likely. But we'll see what happens if they decide to ban the ship.

Posts: 300 | From: Florida | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 12-03-2006 12:46 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
The sooner they scrap the SS Norway the sooner the fantasists can move on to their next fantasy!

Maybe it will be the SS United States retuning to service or the QE2 sailing forever?

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 12-03-2006 02:42 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Or Titanic being raised and refurbished to sail again.

All he does is incite hatred against these people who will have had nothing to do with the original decision. Where were all his buyers when Norway was for sale while in Bremerhaven? Nowhere like him. He's a twit.

[ 12-03-2006: Message edited by: Patsy ]

viking109
First Class Passenger
Member # 6280

posted 12-03-2006 03:41 PM      Profile for viking109        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Malcolm

You need to remember that the fantasists you said the SS United States would sail again were none other that NCL.

Posts: 499 | From: southampton | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-03-2006 04:06 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Having dreams or hoping for the implausible is not the problem here. It is the aritrary smear campaign bare of any facts, the endless pomposity and the rudeness of this 'gentleman' which is of concern.

Being sad about a ship being scrapped ad hoping until the very last moment is one thing - but this is just disgusting.

Posts: 9746 | From: Eindhoven | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 12-03-2006 04:11 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by viking109:
Malcolm, You need to remember that the fantasists you said the SS United States would sail again were none other that NCL.

Very true!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 12-03-2006 05:02 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I don't really like ruben and I don't think he did that much to help her but what did anyone here do to help her? Everyones complaining about ruben but at least he did something (even if it was little). Don't jump on me I am not defending him.
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-03-2006 05:33 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
First, there are not too many - if any at all (we do not know) - CT members who have the ability to safe such a large ship from being scrapped.

Second, chances are high that people who SERIOULSY tried to safe this nice ship ARE NOT boasting around like Mr. Reubens.

Third, there are also other more moderate possibilities to contribute to preserving olds ships than buying and rebuilding it - like travelling with these ships or 'preserving' them on a webpage - and yes, there are CT members who do that - without violating copyright.

Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 12-03-2006 05:37 PM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What exactly did he do? We only have his word for anything because there was no website for the Dubai thing unlike the Rotterdam. He also conveniently changes what's he's written in the past like the 'email from John Voet' which was rewritten the next day to include a rant about Peter Knego. Once these decisions by the cruise companies have been made and the ships are at the breakers there's no going back. He certainly wasn't in India petitioning the court. He stayed at home ranting at Star/NCL and even claiming they still owned Norway when they didn't. He had 2 years since it was announced she was up for sale to do anything to save her and its only this year he said he was when it was too late.
Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 12-03-2006 09:39 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I was not defending him, I don't even really like him. I don't know him so I don't know what hes really done. One thing though is that he has brought awarness to the whole thing even if there is the possibility that he just wanted attention. Again I am not deffending him so please don't jump on me. Ernst how do you travel on a ship that has been taken out of service? What do you propose for helping a ship in that case? Don't take that wrong, I am not disagreeing with you.
Posts: 2327 | From: Pasadena just north of Queen Mary | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-03-2006 09:49 PM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Cunard Fan,

My comment was not based on assuming that you defended Mr. Reubens. It nevertheless was not only him who tried to bring attention to this subject - personally I think that his contribution was not constructive and possibly harmful for the reputation of the ship enthusiasts community.

One sadly can not travel on the Norway anymore. Her fate has been determined by the boiler explosion some years ago.

But there are still many other old ships out there - and this is certainly a possibility - amongst others - to support these ships.

In the context of this discussion about the Norway one can maybe raise the question how many of all those who are now complaining about the Norway being scrapped have actually been aboard her.

Greetings

Ernst

Cunard Fan
First Class Passenger
Member # 7530

posted 12-03-2006 10:02 PM      Profile for Cunard Fan   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Very true your last paragragh. Lots of people who have not been on her are now complaining. I never went on her. I wish I could have though.
viking109
First Class Passenger
Member # 6280

posted 12-04-2006 04:06 AM      Profile for viking109        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
4 times . once to have a look around when the ship was here in Southampton - pre 9/11, and 3 cruises out of Miami.
Personally if the ship was still sailing then I might still be forking out for cruises on her- so I am better off now!

Posts: 499 | From: southampton | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES
First Class Passenger
Member # 5641

posted 12-04-2006 04:26 AM      Profile for Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Author's Homepage   Email Neil - Ex P & O & PRINCESS CRUISES   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi All

There is nothing like having a go at someone when they are sick and not well enough to defend themselves !

Lets hope none of you have a stroke !

Neil ( Bob )

Posts: 2355 | From: Dunstable, Bedfordshire. 30 miles north of London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ernst
First Class Passenger
Member # 5369

posted 12-04-2006 08:18 AM      Profile for Ernst   Author's Homepage   Email Ernst   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Nobody has 'a go' at someone who is sick.

Whoever is maintaining the page - and someone is doing that - could also defend himself. Accusing anyone here to 'have a go' at someone who is sick is no defence - this is a lame excuse and very dull.

Also, Mr. Reubens never joined a discussion here.

I nevertheless wish him to get well soon - maybe he can also overcome his bitterness.

Patsy
First Class Passenger
Member # 5611

posted 12-04-2006 09:59 AM      Profile for Patsy   Author's Homepage   Email Patsy   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
He always makes such a big deal of his health so I assume he's cancelled his forthcoming cruise. I know of people who have had minor strokes who had to for next year because the insurance wouldn't cover them. Besides, he hadn't had his stroke when he was encouraging people to send hate emails to Star/NCL all those months ago. The man is as much a fake as his Nautilus Media Australia. Sounds impressive except there already is a Nautilus Media in Poland which is nothing to do with ships. It's a self-styled company to give himself credibility as much as these books he's supposed to have written. What are they called? Who published them? When were they published? He's only done one under his full name and that was about Jews. He even has a company name for his Rabbi website - RMS Ministries, which also sounds impressive until you realise it's him. So, when you consider his two made up companies, what's to say Le Bleu Ribband-Gulf Dessert LLC (his spelling) isn't a fake as well? Everything was always 'behind the scenes' meaning nothing was going on and he was lying to get people to look at his site. No one else is so obsessed with how many hits they get. Ernst is right. I wouldn't be surprised if these cruise lines now tar us all with that same brush as him. People used to not care one way or the other about him before his discredited himself over Norway. Now a lot of people think he's an idiot.

Cunard Fan, I never said you were defending him. I just wanted to know what you thought he'd actually done.

Ernst, course Reuben has. You just replied to him.

[ 12-04-2006: Message edited by: Patsy ]

aureol
First Class Passenger
Member # 6952

posted 12-15-2006 02:03 AM      Profile for aureol     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks to Reubens hate-mail campaign against Star Cruises some very nice people at the company's PR department have either been reassigned elsewhere in the company or lost their jobs. Nice going!
Posts: 11 | From: Asia | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
desirod7
First Class Passenger
Member # 1626

posted 12-15-2006 09:47 AM      Profile for desirod7     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It was Rueben Gossens who goaded Greenpeace into the SSNorway asbestos hysteria cause. They had never heard of her before.

While they were at it they went after Rembrandterdam and nearly destroyed her her chances for dignified survival.

[ 12-15-2006: Message edited by: desirod7 ]

Posts: 5727 | From: Philadelphia, Pa [home of the SS United States] | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.