- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line today unveiled and opened for sale the next evolution of its Prima Plus Class, the all-new Norwegian Luna.2026 through November 2026. Norwegian Luna will kick off its inaugural Caribbean season with two western itineraries to Roatan Island, Honduras; Costa Maya and Cozumel, Mexico; and Harvest Caye, Belize, the Brand's resort-style destination...

Latest News...Grupo Vidanta is thrilled to announce the launch of VidantaWorld's ELEGANT Ultra Mega Yacht, a groundbreaking addition to the world of luxury cruising. This one-of-a-kind mega yacht redefines cruising, combining the exclusivity of a private yacht with the opulence of a luxury liner, setting a new benchmark for high-end experiences. Sailing this year, this adults-only experience....

Latest News...Princess Cruises announced this week that it has added a second Total Solar Eclipse cruise option, this one aboard its newest and most stunning ship – Sun Princess, when the next spectacle takes place in August 2026.The cruise company re-worked the itinerary of the Sun Princess voyage departing Barcelona on August 8, 2026 to position...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ports of Call and Destinations   » Is Jamaica really that bad.

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is Jamaica really that bad.
larryorvis
First Class Passenger
Member # 662

posted 02-27-1999 12:12 PM      Profile for larryorvis   Email larryorvis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Heard some bad things about MOBAY in Jamaica is it really that bad, better to stay on the ship that day??
asoowal
First Class Passenger
Member # 485

posted 03-01-1999 12:44 AM      Profile for asoowal   Email asoowal   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
MoBay is nowhere near as bad as Ocho Rios. In Ocho I will only disembark to go directly to the Falls. MoBay is nice to stroll around. It will take much longer to get to the falls but it is a nice ride if you get a larger vehicle.
Posts: 68 | From: Plymouth Meeting, PA, USA | Registered: Feb 99
Pam
First Class Passenger
Member # 360

posted 03-01-1999 08:49 AM      Profile for Pam     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It is true. Ocho rios is really bad and MoBay is better but not great. We went on a rafting tour godd trip but of course no matter where you go. Someone named cheap charlie is trying to give you a good deal.
Sara
First Class Passenger
Member # 417

posted 03-03-1999 01:15 PM      Profile for Sara     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I've only been to Ocho Rio. If I went again, I would stay on the ship. It was depressing, dirty,and there were military dressed security walking around in pairs with billy clubs. The stores had employees whose soul job is to watch for shop lifting (by the locals). It didn't feel safe.
lauri
First Class Passenger
Member # 663

posted 03-05-1999 02:02 PM      Profile for lauri     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jamaica is really bad. Most people
are very disappointed especially
in Ocho Rios.
Crime is up all over though...

I would suggest one of the ship's
tours or staying on the ship if
nothing appeals to you!

I stayed on the ship in Ocho Rios,
talked to alot of folks that said
they should have done the same.

You can pull up the reports of
the recent crimes against tourists
on the web under Jamaica crime.

There was a bus load of tourists
hijacked in December.

A man was killed in Negril, he was
in a nice resort area. He took a cab
to go to some place to change some
currency, they found his body the
next day on the beach.

They are talking of putting armed
guards at the resort areas now, and
the hotels are now in favor of it!

Celebrity pulled out of Ocho Rios
altogether because of so many
complaints about harassment from
the locals getting really ugly,
yelling at you, following people and
even trying to sell you drugs.

Use your own judgement.....
Good sailing.

Cara
Just Boarded
Member # 66

posted 03-08-1999 08:41 PM      Profile for Cara   Email Cara   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just returned from a cruise yesterday. Montego Bay was one of our ports of call. There is no need to stay on the ship that day. We took one of the rafting trips, the one on the Martha Brae River. It was very nice and I found the drive interesting. Yes, Jamaica is poor, but I never felt threatened or scared since I stayed with one of the tours. Our bus driver and tour guide were both extremely nice and I also liked our raft guide very well. I found the salespeople in the shops friendly too. But, of course, you feel a little pressure to buy, but again we must remember these people are poor and we are their only source of income. If you are still nervous, there are a number of shops near the ship in the port. So, go and enjoy Jamaica.....
Vivian
Just Boarded
Member # 468

posted 03-16-1999 11:46 PM      Profile for Vivian   Email Vivian   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We were in Ocho Rios 2 years ago and enjoyed Shaw garden and Dunn River Falls. The flower man was a little scary. Stay on a tour from the ship. I rather enjoyed "the gauntlet at the falls". Get some Blue Mountain Coffee and spices at the shops. It is a pretty place, just stay with a tour.
Annie
Just Boarded
Member # 20

posted 03-17-1999 10:07 PM      Profile for Annie   Email Annie   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Vivian; if you must visit Ocho Rios or MoBay then do so on one of the tours offered onboard. It is sad to say that for the past few years, crime and robbery has been a problem (not only for the tourists). I was born there, lived there and have left there.
nnelson
Just Boarded
Member # 728

posted 04-26-1999 11:22 AM      Profile for nnelson     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Is there crime in Jamaica? You bet.
Show me a place in the world that is crime free and I'll move there. I've been to Jamaica twice, both times on a cruise. Only been to Ocho Rios so I cannot speak for any other cities. So far the only thing that has been stolen is my heart. I love Jamaica. Of course it is important to use common sense no matter what port of call you're in. I would also suggest booking a tour. The tour guides are friendly and fun.
Two of my favorite places are Shaw Garden and Dunns River Falls. After our tour, we went to the local beach. It was nice but there is the only place I would highly recommend that you do not leave anything unattended. Stay on the ship, I think would be a waste of a beautiful port. This is not a good time however, with the gas tax riots, but when things settle down, Oh yes, I'll be back.

Barryboat
First Class Passenger
Member # 33

posted 05-03-1999 11:06 AM      Profile for Barryboat   Author's Homepage   Email Barryboat   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I worked on cruise ships that stopped at Ocho Rios and MoBay and I can't count how many times I've been to these ports. "Yeah mon..Iree mon". Best advise has already been given - DON'T GO ASHORE ON YOUR OWN! Stay on a ship's tours and don't wander off on your own. Jamaica has many con men - The con they like to use is, "Hey mon..remember me, I'm your busboy and I work on the ship...Hey can you loan me $20 I'll pay you back on the ship...My mother lives here and I need $20 for a taxi to go and see her and I forgot my money on the ship." Yeah right, I was approached THREE times with the same scam. If you wander off on your own, YOU WILL BE APPROACHED and haggled for drugs, prostitution, braiding your hair, parasailing, jet skiing - and every person in Jamaica who owns an automobile is a taxi and will take you for a ride anywhere you want to go. (Don't do it) I tried to walk through town one time convinced that I wouldn't be hasseled if I wore mirrored sun glasses (so they couldn't see my eyes) and I had headphones on listening to my walkman - and bobbing to the music (so they thought I couldn't hear them) Well...it didn't work Finally a smooth talker after getting frustrated that I ignored him grabbed my arm to get my attention. There are some beautiful places to see in Jamaica and it would be a shame to miss it by staying on the ship, so one more time I will say, ONLY GO ON A SHORE EXCURSION OFFERED BY THE CRUISE LINE - DON'T WANDER OFF ON YOUR OWN.
Posts: 1851 | From: Bloomington, Minnesota (Home to the Mall of America) | Registered: Mar 99
cmb777
Just Boarded
Member # 530

posted 05-23-1999 11:42 PM      Profile for cmb777     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Traveled on Carnival Imagination to Western Carribean May 8-15, 1999. Would not recommend Ocho Rios Jamaica to anyone!!! It was horrible. We decided not to book a tour and to go out on our own. To make a long story short the people follow you around and are very pushy, you had to pay to get on the beach, which wasn't even open when we got there and the stores were dirty and very expensive. I would suggest taking a tour only or stay on the boat. I didn't feel safe there and will never get off the boat at that port again.
Posts: 1 | From: Joliet, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 99
MinnieMouse
Just Boarded
Member # 334

posted 05-27-1999 01:25 PM      Profile for MinnieMouse     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Please tell me where you heard that Celebrity was no longer stopping in Ocho Rios?? We are in the preliminary stages of organizing a wedding cruise for Sept of '00 to get married in the Shaw Gardens!!! I have checked with the wedding planner and she assures me that the Century stops there, but the Mercury now stops in Calica.
Katcruiser
Just Boarded
Member # 251

posted 06-10-1999 01:04 PM      Profile for Katcruiser   Email Katcruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Rafting the Martha Brae River on a bamboo raft is fabulous! It's about half way between Ocho Rios and MoBay. We took a tour from the cruise ship, but then ventured out on our own afterwards. 3 women, myself, my 15 yr old daughter, and my sister. Men approached us but were easily put off with a polite, No thank you and have a good day, along with a big smile. No one persisted after that. I believe it has a lot to do with your attitude. You are a guest in their country. I have seen Americans who act so superior and condensending, that I have been embarrassed. You get what you put out. Common courtesy goes a long way.
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 07-01-1999 06:25 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Even tours from the ships have trouble in Ocho Rios. On one of our cruises with HAL a group was left at Dunn's River Falls - the driver just disappeared. I will never go back to Jamaica - too scary, too many people hassling you and just a feeling of unrest. Stay on the ship if you do go there. It is a beautiful island but some people have ruined it.
Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.