- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Princess Cruises, the world-famous cruise line delivering dream vacations to millions each year, celebrated a major construction milestone today of its second Sphere-Class vessel, Star Princess, with the traditional maritime float out ceremony at the Fincantieri Shipyard in Monfalcone, Italy. The new ship will now transfer to the outfitting quay where construction...

Latest News...Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL; NYSE: CUK) announced financial results for the third quarter 2024 and provided an updated outlook for the full year and an outlook for fourth quarter 2024.The cumulative advanced booked position for full year 2025 is above the previous 2024 record with prices (in constant currency) ahead of prior year.....

Latest News...Norwegian Cruise Line (NCL) today unveils its new brand positioning, "MORE," reinforcing and extending its legacy of delivering more onboard offerings, more places to discover and more value with the launch of its all-new upgraded 'More At Sea' package.NCL has a history of delivering endless options with over 600 unique itineraries through 2026 ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ports of Call and Destinations   » Best and Worst port of Call (Page 1)

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Author Topic: Best and Worst port of Call
Jesse C
First Class Passenger
Member # 1678

posted 11-22-2000 10:42 AM      Profile for Jesse C   Email Jesse C   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
What is the best and worst port of call?
That is all I need to know.

Have a god global time,
Jesse

Posts: 244 | From: Houston, Texas, United States of America | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 11-22-2000 02:16 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I suppose Southampton (UK) could be classed as both? It's a working port, not a tourist attraction. There is not much to do there really. There is a small town with some unremarkable shops and that's about all

On the other hand Southampton is steeped in history. It was of course the departure point of the Titanic and home port of the QE2. The P&O ships are also based thier.

If you know where to look there are many historic buildings, an ancient city wall, and some monuments to those poor souls lost in the Titanic tragedy. Additionally, sometimes Southampton as the home port of London - my home town!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 11-22-2000 09:05 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
There's no easy answer - depends on what you're looking for - history? culture? the beach, water sports, etc. - shopping?

Study the itinerary, research the ports and go from there.

Happy cruisin'

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
Mercy
First Class Passenger
Member # 322

posted 11-30-2000 02:20 PM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I have never NOT had a good time in any port. But I think my all time favorite will have to be Puerto Vallarta. Because I want to go back again and again. (honorable mention.. Grand Cayman and Ketchikan) I think Jamaica should be taken off the cruise ship list of ports. Although very beautiful, I do think the locals are very intimidating. I felt uneasy the whole time.
Posts: 697 | From: Stanwood, Wa. USA | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
starfish
First Class Passenger
Member # 986

posted 12-03-2000 07:12 PM      Profile for starfish   Author's Homepage   Email starfish   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jesse C That's pretty easy Bermuda,it has everything,beautiful beaches and towns,culture and safe.
As Mercy stated,Jamaica is my least favorite.

Posts: 225 | From: Dallas,PA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 12-03-2000 09:56 PM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Best...well of course, Vancouver.
2nd. Hong Kong
Worst..Djibouti
...peter

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
jean elmore
First Class Passenger
Member # 1192

posted 12-04-2000 09:43 PM      Profile for jean elmore     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
gohaze, I will be leaving for Hawaii from Vancouver in Sept. and would love some tips on that fair city, we will be there 3 days prior and are planning on staying at the Rennaissance, is this close to Canada Place? and what are some "must see`s" in that area? hope you can help me.............jean
Posts: 68 | From: obetz oh. usa | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged
jean elmore
First Class Passenger
Member # 1192

posted 12-04-2000 09:46 PM      Profile for jean elmore     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
oops!! I forgot to add my "best and worst"
for the worst. , it has to be La Guaria Venezuela, scared me to death! and my favorite was the island of Kithera on a Greek and Italian island cruise........jean

geno-r
First Class Passenger
Member # 931

posted 12-05-2000 10:22 PM      Profile for geno-r   Email geno-r   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I LOVE Bermuda! I could putt,putt around on my moped all day long!! Just remember, stay to the left
Posts: 549 | From: Mt. Pocono,Pa. Usa | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged
sympatico
First Class Passenger
Member # 797

posted 12-05-2000 10:38 PM      Profile for sympatico     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jean elmore:
gohaze, I will be leaving for Hawaii from Vancouver in Sept. and would love some tips on that fair city, we will be there 3 days prior and are planning on staying at the Rennaissance, is this close to Canada Place? and what are some "must see`s" in that area? hope you can help me.............jean

Jean - try and get over to Victoria to see Butchard Gardens. They are magnificent and well worth the trip. Have lunch at the little restaurant - their shrimp is delicious. Vancouver is a beautiful city - haven't been there for about 3 years so I am sure there is lots that gohaze can tell you to do. I loved waking up in the morning and seeing the mountains.
What ship are you going on?
Both times that we went to Hawaii on the Statendam we stayed on the ship and disembarked in Vancouver. It was much easier, being Canadians, for us to fly home from there.
Haven't got my docs yet for the Veendam, altho they are in, so maybe next week. Not long now, eh!
You will have a super time in Vancouver.

Worst ports - Ocho Rios, Jamaica and La Guaira (Caracas)
Best - Barbados and Bermuda

[This message has been edited by sympatico (edited 12-05-2000).]

Posts: 3305 | From: Toronto, Ont. Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
jean elmore
First Class Passenger
Member # 1192

posted 12-07-2000 07:52 PM      Profile for jean elmore     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
thanks sympatico, I got talked into this Hawaii cruise by acouple of girl friends, we`ll be on the new Spirit, 5 days at sea then 7 days around the Hawaiian islands then flying back from Honolulu, yes I have been to Victoria before and loved the Buchard Gardens, Iwas up there in 1992 with my daughter for 3 days, loved everything about Victoria. Haven`t got my Ocean Princess docs. yet either, I`m getting anxious, snowed all day today in Columbus,,,,,,,,,,,,,jean
Chargap
First Class Passenger
Member # 1686

posted 12-08-2000 01:31 PM      Profile for Chargap     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So What do you suggest for Ocho Rios? We are in port there for a day in March when we sail on the Costa Atlantic. We have 6 teenagers (15-18) to keep safe and happy? Any suggestions?
quote:
Originally posted by sympatico:
Jean - try and get over to Victoria to see Butchard Gardens. They are magnificent and well worth the trip. Have lunch at the little restaurant - their shrimp is delicious. Vancouver is a beautiful city - haven't been there for about 3 years so I am sure there is lots that gohaze can tell you to do. I loved waking up in the morning and seeing the mountains.
What ship are you going on?
Both times that we went to Hawaii on the Statendam we stayed on the ship and disembarked in Vancouver. It was much easier, being Canadians, for us to fly home from there.
Haven't got my docs yet for the Veendam, altho they are in, so maybe next week. Not long now, eh!
You will have a super time in Vancouver.

Worst ports - Ocho Rios, Jamaica and La Guaira (Caracas)
Best - Barbados and Bermuda

[This message has been edited by sympatico (edited 12-05-2000).]

Posts: 17 | From: Kitchener, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
CTrail
First Class Passenger
Member # 64

posted 12-08-2000 02:19 PM      Profile for CTrail     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Chargap

Stick to the ship tours in Jamaica. We did the Dunns River Falls and had a great time. This was about four years ago and we had bith our girls with us. They also had a ball and they were 15 and 18 years of age at the time. We also did the Coyaba River Garden which was quite informative from a nature aspect. The two were combined into one tour package and the cost was $31 US each and the whole tour took about 4 hours. hey also stopped at a local market. We could have missed that. The vendors at the top of the Falls are a bit aggressive, actually quite aggressive especially if they see some youg people so just keep the teens close at hand and there shouldn't be a problem. If someone poses for a picture for you, don't be surprised if after you have taken the picture they say that you have to pay them for their picture, and they can make quite a stink. When at the Falls, if you have items that you don't want to get wet, put them in the lockers (for rent) at the top of the falls as the ones at the bottom are about $25 because they know they have you at that point. All in all, enjoy and don't take the local cabs etc. Don't let the kids out of your site. Jamaica is not the most friendly of spots. Beautiful Island though.

Haveagreatoneandbecareful!

Peter

Posts: 332 | From: Kitchener, ON Canada | Registered: Apr 99  |  IP: Logged
Italian Cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1684

posted 12-08-2000 03:35 PM      Profile for Italian Cruiser   Email Italian Cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
My best port of call was Tartous in Syria for a wonderful excursion to the fascinating ruins of Palmyra during a cruise on the Costa Allegra in 1997.The worst port of call is Izmir(Turkey),a modern city with nothing of interesting to see,during a cruise on the Daphne in 1995.In the Caribbean area I loved Philipsburg,Bridgetown and St.John,fascinating places with a wonderful sea,spectacular nature and a lot of shops.My worst one was Fort de France.
Posts: 887 | From: Orvieto (Italy) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
Bernard
First Class Passenger
Member # 1038

posted 12-15-2000 09:36 AM      Profile for Bernard     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Best: St Petersburg, Russia.

Worst: Horta, Azores.

Bernard.

Posts: 94 | From: The Netherlands | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 12-15-2000 12:43 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Yes Bernard, St.Petersburg is just great!
Although it is not a port, I visited Moscow a few years back on a land tour - that was excellent too!

Posts: 19210 | From: Essex (Just Outside London) | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged
Willy Paul
First Class Passenger
Member # 473

posted 12-15-2000 06:25 PM      Profile for Willy Paul     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
St. petersburg, by far, the port itself is not much. Just an industrial port. But St.Petersburg - all I can say is wow. I will be going back soon.
Second on the list is Copenhagen, if the ship is staying overnight, spend the evening at Tivoli Gardens and tour the city during the day. We are going ack this summer.
Third, has to be Bermuda, spotless, friendly people and great beaches.

The worst - Jamaica ( no contest ) the people are to aggressive and sometimes frightening - especially for single women. We did enjoy the trip down the Martha Brae on a raft, but the rest can easily be forgotten. Last time we were in port we stayed on the ship. It was surprising to see the number of people who stayed aboard. Largewr than I have ever seen when a ship is in port. One man said he treated Jamaica as a day at sea, took advantage of all the ship had to offer with no hassles.

I also liked Grenada quite a ;ot.

Posts: 151 | From: Auburn, Ma. | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
hhornblower
First Class Passenger
Member # 1047

posted 12-17-2000 12:36 PM      Profile for hhornblower     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This is a facinating topic and it is hard to really pick a worst. I have been lucky to have a good time in just about every port of call I have visited. EVEN Jamaica. I have been there as a single woman and with others and I have always excercised alot of caution. If you used government licensed taxis, you will be ok. My first time in Jamaica, I was alone and used a ship recommended taxi and had a fantastic tour that was much cheaper than the ship tour and I saw much more. The key to having a good time in Jamaica is to treat the Jamaicans with a lot of respect. I have and have never had anyone be rude to me. Jamaica is not one of my favorites but I have always had a good time.
Barbados and the Virgin Islands are among my favorites. Barbados is beautiful and very diverse, while the Virgin Islands offer have something for EVERYBODY!!! Great shopping, great beaches, great snorkling and diving, great night life (Bomba's Shack!!!! - BVI), you name it. I loved the VI so much I have flown back to spend an extended time there.
St. Lucia is also wonderful.

gohaze
First Class Passenger
Member # 586

posted 12-24-2000 11:43 AM      Profile for gohaze   Email gohaze   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Jean...sorry I missed your request, but here goes. With three days you can get quite a lot in. Sept. is my favorite month and the weather is usually pretty good, as of course that can determine what you do. If it's good go up to the top of Grouse mountain on the skyride one evening for dinner and see the sunset. Fantastic view.
There's a tourist bus, looks like an old trolley that you can get a day pass on and it does a circuit around downtown..could be handy. Lots of good restaurants for just about any type of ethnic foods.
Anyway have a look at www.vancouver.hm/vanframe.html
lots of good info there, and if there's anything specific, don't hesitate to ask.
.....peter

[This message has been edited by gohaze (edited 12-24-2000).]

Posts: 1909 | From: Vancouver.BC | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Southampton
First Class Passenger
Member # 1616

posted 01-01-2001 04:53 PM      Profile for Southampton     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
So many great places to call at but if I could just name three of the very best in the med, they would be Valetta , capital of the island of Malta, Venice (incomparable arrival) and surprisingly perhaps Dubrovnic in Croatia, well worth a visit.
Malcolm @ cruisepage
Cruise Director
Member # 301

posted 01-01-2001 05:41 PM      Profile for Malcolm @ cruisepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Willy Paul:
But St.Petersburg - all I can say is wow. I will be going back soon.

Willy, I really recommend Moscow...the Red Square and the Kremlin etc. Some cruise lines offer a day trip to Moscow, from St.Petersburg. Mind you it's a very long way and an expensive excursion.

A number of years ago I did a land tour of Russia, it was one of the best holidays that I've ever had! I love the communist/post-communist atmosphere and the palaces.

hallsuk2
First Class Passenger
Member # 1589

posted 01-09-2001 06:54 AM      Profile for hallsuk2     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Definitely think sailing into Venice takes some beating,its breathtaking.Front Street in Hamilton, Bermuda runs it a close second. Definitely the place not to go is Samana on the Dominican Republic.We have just returned from Arcadia's Xmas and New Year cruise in the Caribbean and this was a new port.The Captain had to do go in first in a speedboat first to see if the ship could dock.He said it was not possible so we had a long tender trip in to find that there was nothing there and the place stunk of sewage.The authorities there are tring to open up this area as an alternative to Catalina Island and Arcadia was the largest ever cruise ship to visit.Definitely a dot on the map of the world never to go back again.
Posts: 74 | From: Bury,England | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 01-09-2001 07:46 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Favourite arrival port is Hamilton, Bermuda - I've never done it, but I think sailing into Sydney, OZ would be something to experience. Sailing from San Juan is beautiful at night. The worst - La Guaira (Caracas) - that place stinks - there's no other word to describe it.
Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
cobra
First Class Passenger
Member # 1605

posted 01-13-2001 10:07 AM      Profile for cobra     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
LaGuaria, Venezula, Grenada, and Jamaica are the worst. The best would be Bermuda and St. Barts.
Posts: 21 | From: north palm beach, fl. u.s | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged
ocngypz
First Class Passenger
Member # 1555

posted 01-14-2001 06:52 PM      Profile for ocngypz   Email ocngypz   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Best: Venice

Worst: Isla Margarita ( can't remember the name of the dock area)

Posts: 343 | From: Newport, RI USA | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)
This topic is comprised of pages:  1  2 

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.