- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise line released the following statement regarding Hurricane Beryl:

Carnival's Fleet Operations Center in Miami is actively monitoring forecasts for possible impacts to itineraries from Hurricane Beryl. Given Hurricane Beryl’s projected path, Carnival has adjusted the following itineraries: Carnival Horizon will add a visit to Nassau, The Bahamas on Friday, July 5....

Latest News...Oceania Cruises has marked an important milestone in the construction of its new 1,200-guest ship, Allura, at the Fincantieri shipyard in Sestri Ponente, Italy, bordering the famed seaport of Genoa. A landmark moment as the ship moves towards completion, the vessel was floated from the dry-dock and moved to the fitting-out berth to begin outfitting the luxurious, designer-inspired interiors....

Latest News...Crystal, the leader in exceptional cruise experiences, announced today the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with renowned Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri. This agreement marks the commencement of the construction of two groundbreaking ships that will redefine high-end travel on the seas.The 690-passenger (based on double occupancy), 61,800-gross-ton ships ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Ports of Call and Destinations   » Antigua and St. Lucia

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Antigua and St. Lucia
idamae3218
First Class Passenger
Member # 1896

posted 04-09-2001 05:25 PM      Profile for idamae3218     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We're going on the Monarch in June and I wanted to know something about these two islands. I have never been to either one and wanted to try parasailing. Anyone take any interesting tours on these islands?
Posts: 20 | From: Willingboro, NJ - USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
gizmo
First Class Passenger
Member # 972

posted 04-09-2001 07:42 PM      Profile for gizmo   Email gizmo   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Idamae,

I have no idea what the Monarch offers but I have been to both islands. Forget going into town at Antigua, it's not worth it. Go to a beach. There are many beautiful beaches on this island. St. Lucia is pretty. Nice beaches also. You must see the Pitons, they are really something. Eudovic's wood carving shop is interesting. Eudovic is a very nice man. If you go, have a beer with him.

Posts: 686 | From: Kennesaw Ga. (origianlly from Philly) | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged
hooked on cruising
First Class Passenger
Member # 1221

posted 04-09-2001 11:22 PM      Profile for hooked on cruising   Email hooked on cruising   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
we did the "walk in volcano" tour while in St Lucia last year. It was great, we had a very interesting guide, he knew everything there was to know about St Lucia and he was lots of fun, really made the tour a success. St Lucia is beautiful It is one place I would love to return to for a two week holiday.
Posts: 243 | From: London,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Italian Cruiser
First Class Passenger
Member # 1684

posted 04-10-2001 08:10 AM      Profile for Italian Cruiser   Email Italian Cruiser   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
ANTIGUA: A wonderful island with 365 different beaches, one for each day of the year.There are also many interesting historic places.Take a tour that combines a visit to the famous Nelson's Dockyard with a long stay on a beach.In St.John there are also many nice shops with great prices.
ST:LUCIA: I suggest you to try a land and sea tour that includes the lunch.The creole cuisine is simply delicious to taste.You'll also swimn in a wonderful bay,dance the calypso onboard of the catamarano and explore the fascinating Pitons with a stop at Soufriere, an unfergettable place.If you love nature you'll also enjoy the tropical garden that includes also a little fall.Excellent cruise !!!

Posts: 887 | From: Orvieto (Italy) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged
idamae3218
First Class Passenger
Member # 1896

posted 04-10-2001 12:55 PM      Profile for idamae3218     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Thanks everyone for the info.
I find it helpful to have information from people have actually visited a place before I go.
St. Lucia sounds very nice. I'm looking forward to it.

Suzie249
First Class Passenger
Member # 1825

posted 04-12-2001 10:16 PM      Profile for Suzie249     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
hi idamae
defenitly take the land & sea tour on st. lucia. sorry, my spelling is really bad. st. lucia is so pretty,it's the closest to hawaii that i've seen in the caribbean.dont book a shore excursion for antigua,when you walk into town,there will be a lot of taxi drivers wanting to take you on a tour of the island.we took a tour to nelson's dockyard,our driver even took us to his church. the tour was very nice and he only charged us 30.00 a couple.it was a three hour tour.check the price with a few taxi drivers first .another one had wanted 60.00 for the same tour.anyhow,going with a taxi driver was cheaper than the ship's shore excursions,and less people.if your going to do any shopping on the islands stick to just st. thomas or st. maarten,BEST DEALS.THE HARRISON CAVE TOUR ON BARBADOS WAS ALSO A VERY NICE TOUR.

Posts: 15 | From: buffalo,ny,u.s.a. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amerikanis
First Class Passenger
Member # 1835

posted 04-19-2001 06:30 PM      Profile for Amerikanis   Email Amerikanis   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
St. Lucia:
Take an other couple, take an Taxi, fix the price with the Driver (max. 15 Dollars/hour
for all 4 person) and ask him to show you all, whats of interest.
So you will see tropical garden, pitons, beaches and much more for less than 4 Dollars US an hour and per person.

You need minimum 6 hours, better more, for this interesting island.

I think, it is the nicest in the Carribean.

And pay the Driver, when you are back to your ship...

...never pay before, i no countr<y in the world!

Posts: 1034 | From: Gutach, Black Forest, Germany | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Green
First Class Passenger
Member # 171

posted 04-21-2001 05:08 PM      Profile for Green     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amerikanis:
St. Lucia:

And pay the Driver, when you are back to your ship...

...never pay before, i no countr<y in the world!

Excellent advice!

An appropriate tip is also greatly appreciated.

Posts: 2913 | From: Markham, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
idamae3218
First Class Passenger
Member # 1896

posted 04-23-2001 12:57 PM      Profile for idamae3218     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
This information has been very helpful.
I'm wondering what the sulfur baths are like in St. Lucia are like. RCL says their warm and full of great things for your skin?
Has anyone tried this before?
Is it worth the Hike to see them/try them?

Mercy
First Class Passenger
Member # 322

posted 05-08-2001 11:43 AM      Profile for Mercy     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
We won't be going to St. Lucia until Feb. 2002, on the Infinity, but I am starting to research the islands NOW. So tell me the absolutely most beautiful beach on St. Lucia and how to get there? I have wanted to go to St. Lucia for years!!!!
Posts: 697 | From: Stanwood, Wa. USA | Registered: Sep 99  |  IP: Logged
Willy Paul
First Class Passenger
Member # 473

posted 05-08-2001 03:20 PM      Profile for Willy Paul     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
On St Lucia you can try Reduit Bay. A long beach with a number of hotels where you can go in for a drink or a meal. The beach is good for walking and the water is rather calm. The drop off into the water in a gradual slope. You can rent chairs if needed. do go early in the day. It does get more crowded as the day goes on. It's about a twenty minute taxi ride from the pier.
Have fun, wish I was going.

Posts: 151 | From: Auburn, Ma. | Registered: Jul 99  |  IP: Logged
jayce04
Just Boarded
Member # 1982

posted 05-09-2001 12:59 PM      Profile for jayce04        Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Idamae - regarding Antigue and St. Lucia - I have two GREAT ideas. Please feel free to email me at jayce04@aol.com for further info. I made a recommendation to another board about St. Lucia and I just received an email from a group of 19 that took my advice telling me how much fun they had.
St. Lucia - there is a local company (I can send you their info if you want)that does private tours. They pick you up at your ship in open air land rover jeeps. The day was a blast. You have to request tour guide named "Shal" He is awesome. We saw so much including: hike thru rain forest, along the way Shal would slice open fresh coconuts for us to eat/drink from, a beautiful waterfall. Went to sulphur springs where we enjoyed mud and mineral baths (you cant do that with the ship tour). We stopped at many neat places along the way, met locals, had a great lunch, swam at a nice beach. I could go on and on. THere was so much involved. All entry fees were included. All drinks (alcoholic and soda or water) included, plus snacks, lunch, etc. He was so fun and amusing, we laughed all day. Other people on other tours came over to ask where we found this guide because we were having such a good time. I have recommended to many and they all enjoyed too. Please email me for details,prices, etc.
Antigue - We took taxi to Long Bay (35 min ride $22 each way) WELL WORTH IT. Asked taxi driver to pick up at determined time and we paid him for both ways on the return trip. THe beach was magnificient!!!! White powder sand beach, clear blue water with sandy bottom coral reef further out, calm waters, restaurant bar nearby. Umbrellas and chairs for rent - $5. We packed a lunch from the ship room service (I brought collapsable cooler from home). A wonderful day and a gorgeous beach. HAVE FUN!!!

Posts: 1 | From: Michigan | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RichardThorpe
First Class Passenger
Member # 1729

posted 05-17-2001 10:08 PM      Profile for RichardThorpe   Email RichardThorpe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Idamae
My wife and I and another couple cruised on the Monarch last October.
I recommend you review my "Cruise and Flight Feedback, RCCL's Monarch of the Seas" from 3-05-01 in this cruise category.
Change your "view topics" to the last 100 days and go to page two.

Posts: 11 | From: Lewisburg, Ohio, USA | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged
RichardThorpe
First Class Passenger
Member # 1729

posted 05-18-2001 09:32 PM      Profile for RichardThorpe   Email RichardThorpe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Idamae
I also submitted a review for the Monarch of the Seas dated Oct. 2000.
See Reviews-Ship Reviews-Monarch of the Seas, this web site.
I hope it is enlightening and helpful.
Overall our cruise was memorable but with a few disappointments.
By the way, in addition to all the emails,I sent a letter in March to RCCL about our cruise. We have still not received the first communication from them!!

RichardThorpe
First Class Passenger
Member # 1729

posted 05-18-2001 09:36 PM      Profile for RichardThorpe   Email RichardThorpe   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Idamae
I beg your pardon.
That's Reviews-Reader Reviews-Monarch of the Seas.

idamae3218
First Class Passenger
Member # 1896

posted 05-22-2001 01:09 PM      Profile for idamae3218     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Richard,
I did read your review.
Thanks for the insight. It's less than a month away, so I'm counting the days now.
I've been to st. maarteen & st. thomas before, so I'm plan to do the most sight seeing at the other 3 islands (Antigua, st. Lucia, & Barbados). I can't wait to see that clear aquamarine water.
Thanks again everyone.

Snick500
First Class Passenger
Member # 1647

posted 05-30-2001 10:29 PM      Profile for Snick500   Email Snick500   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gizmo:
Hi Idamae,

I have no idea what the Monarch offers but I have been to both islands. Forget going into town at Antigua, it's not worth it. Go to a beach. There are many beautiful beaches on this island. St. Lucia is pretty. Nice beaches also. You must see the Pitons, they are really something. Eudovic's wood carving shop is interesting. Eudovic is a very nice man. If you go, have a beer with him.

quote:

Posts: 10 | From: Newark, De USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
idamae3218
First Class Passenger
Member # 1896

posted 06-01-2001 04:28 PM      Profile for idamae3218     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Hi Snick500
From what I've read, St. Lucia looks great.
Others on this board have mentioned not going into town at Antigua. Is there anything worth doing/seeing there?
Thanks

Snick500
First Class Passenger
Member # 1647

posted 06-08-2001 09:13 PM      Profile for Snick500   Email Snick500   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by idamae3218:
Hi Snick500
From what I've read, St. Lucia looks great.
Others on this board have mentioned not going into town at Antigua. Is there anything worth doing/seeing there?
Thanks

Hi Idamae,
I don't know what I did but I posted something that Gizmo said. My post went who knows where. Sorry Gizmo! Anyways, we walked the town right where we docked and couldn't stand it. It smelled of sewage and they sold things that were in the US stores about 20+ years ago. There was no island flavor to that area at all. We went back to the boat and spent the most wonderful day just swimming and sitting in the hot tubs. It was pure relaxation. The people that went other places on the island seemed to like where they had been. For us it was a wonderful break as we were tired and the disappointment of the dock area turned into something great onboard. That's what I love about cruising. You can always find something fun to do no matter what. Hope your trip is great! Sorry I can't help anymore than that.

Posts: 10 | From: Newark, De USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged
joe at travelpage
Administrator
Member # 622

posted 06-08-2001 10:17 PM      Profile for joe at travelpage   Author's Homepage   Email joe at travelpage   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
It's been a while since we've been there but we really like St. Lucia.

Here's our review from a while back.

Joe at TravelPage.com

Posts: 29976 | From: Great Falls, Virginia | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.