- Ernst's Site
- Patsy's Site
- Ben's Site
- Carlos' Site
- Chris' Site
- SRead's Site

Cruise Travel - Cruise Talk
Cruise Talk Cruise News

Welcome to Cruise Talk the Internet's most popular discussion forum dedicated to cruising. Stop by Cruise Talk anytime to post a message or find out what your fellow passengers and industry insiders are saying about a particular ship, cruise line or destination.

>>> Reader Reviews
>>> CruisePage.com Photo Gallery
>>> Join Our Cruise Club.

Latest News...Carnival Cruise line released the following statement regarding Hurricane Beryl:

Carnival's Fleet Operations Center in Miami is actively monitoring forecasts for possible impacts to itineraries from Hurricane Beryl. Given Hurricane Beryl’s projected path, Carnival has adjusted the following itineraries: Carnival Horizon will add a visit to Nassau, The Bahamas on Friday, July 5....

Latest News...Oceania Cruises has marked an important milestone in the construction of its new 1,200-guest ship, Allura, at the Fincantieri shipyard in Sestri Ponente, Italy, bordering the famed seaport of Genoa. A landmark moment as the ship moves towards completion, the vessel was floated from the dry-dock and moved to the fitting-out berth to begin outfitting the luxurious, designer-inspired interiors....

Latest News...Crystal, the leader in exceptional cruise experiences, announced today the signing of a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) with renowned Italian shipbuilder Fincantieri. This agreement marks the commencement of the construction of two groundbreaking ships that will redefine high-end travel on the seas.The 690-passenger (based on double occupancy), 61,800-gross-ton ships ...

More Cruise News...

my profile | register | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Cruise Talk   » Cruising 1.0   » Cruise Insurance?

UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cruise Insurance?
rudi
Just Boarded
Member # 2875

posted 03-21-2002 08:04 AM      Profile for rudi   Email rudi   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Just wondering how important is it to purchase cruise insurance?
We'll be at the dock 2 days before the ship sails, we're covered through our personal medical insurance. How likely is it that our luggage will be lost? How necessary is getting cruise insurance?

Posts: 7 | From: wisconsin | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Namlit
First Class Passenger
Member # 1940

posted 03-21-2002 03:23 PM      Profile for Namlit     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
Many credit cards offer excellent vacation insurance as a fringe benefit of using a particular card. If you charged your cruise, call your credit card's customer service number to find out what your coverage may be. On our most recent cruise, we found that our MBNA Platinum card had us covered far better than the insurance we could have purchased would have... and it didn't cost us an extra cent.

Have a great cruise.

Posts: 309 | From: Greene County, Indiana, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
PamM
First Class Passenger
Member # 2127

posted 03-21-2002 04:07 PM      Profile for PamM   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by rudi:
Just wondering how important is it to purchase cruise insurance?
We'll be at the dock 2 days before the ship sails, we're covered through our personal medical insurance. How likely is it that our luggage will be lost? How necessary is getting cruise insurance?

Well it's compulsory for us UK'ites, but just check your medical really does cover you outside the US and any repatriation expenses if needed. Those heli lifts don't come cheap.

What if you fall ill between now and the cruise? What if you end up in an accident [hope not though!] the day before and you can't go?

If a close relative becomes seriously ill and you need to cancel the trip, have you got cover?

It's not likely your luggage will be lost, you'd have the airline to come back on there, although probably not enough to cover, and a couple of days to buy a few bits. Does your household insurance cover any losses/stolen stuff when on board? If the cruise gets cancelled, can you cancel the fights with no penalty.

Think of the worst scenarios and check you have cover somewhere for them. Maybe on the CC you paid for the trip with, we don't get much here, just death cover usually, US cards give a lot more.

Only you can determine whether it's worth you getting it, depending on the various types you have already.

Hope nothing does happen and you have a great holiday

Pam

Posts: 12176 | From: Cambridge, UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Katie O'Girl
First Class Passenger
Member # 2704

posted 03-26-2002 09:58 AM      Profile for Katie O'Girl   Email Katie O'Girl   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I got it and I guess I always will on future cruises.
When I was visiting in the states and got sick last year the ER there sent me by helicopter to a big heart hospital in Jacksonville, Florida 45 minutes away by car but only 15 minutes away by LifeFlight. Guess what I paid? $5,750 for a 15 minute helicopter flight and I they wouldn't even let me look out the window!!!!!
Not used to that after paying only £156 for a whole week in intensive care in the hospital in Ireland. Anyhow, a crew member on the Pride told me that they had a person airlifted off of the last ship he was on and the total bill for them turned out to be almost $80,000 for transportation back to the states and medical on the island.
I think I'll stick with the insurance. I'm afraid to NOT get it.

Posts: 101 | From: Ireland | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
hooked on cruising
First Class Passenger
Member # 1221

posted 03-26-2002 04:44 PM      Profile for hooked on cruising   Email hooked on cruising   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I agree with Katie I think the insurance is worth every penny for the peace of mind alone. I will cut corners on different things to save a few $$ but not on insurance. We had family from Ireland a couple of years ago and my uncle took ill with an enurizm (not sure if that is how to spell it ) he was in intensive care for 6 weeks and underwent two operations and after all this he died. Their insurance covered the costs of flying his son out to canada and flying the body and the family members back to Ireland, God forbid that anything like that would happen but we never know and it would be awful to save a couple hundred dollars and end up bankrupt. take the insurance no matter what anyone says. I also think that when you depend on your CC insurance it only covers a certain amount. be careful
Posts: 243 | From: London,Ontario,Canada | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
James
First Class Passenger
Member # 1351

posted 05-01-2002 03:59 PM      Profile for James   Email James   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
I think the most important thing is insuring the value of the trip in case accident or illness prevents you going. The second thing is emergency evacuation and the third is the insolvency of the line. I broke my arm 2 weeks prior to a cruise and had to be treated every five days so couldn't go. Had no insurance then but the line was gracious enough to give us full credit through our TA to be used within one year. We booked the following year and upgraded. That was a wake-up call so we insure always now. The latest claim was due to the bankruptcy of Renaissance. The minor loss and damage claims you can easily absorb but the coverage comes bundled. One caveat - never insure with the line; always take an independent company. Our TA sometimes has better rates than we can get on our own.
Posts: 202 | From: Illinois, Home of Lincoln and great graft | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
FlRick
First Class Passenger
Member # 3026

posted 05-07-2002 08:29 PM      Profile for FlRick   Email FlRick   Send New Private Message      Edit/Delete Post  Reply With Quote 
You should always take out travel insurance. If you are young-your child might get sick at the last moment forcing you to cancel your trip. If, on the other hand you are middle-aged, your parents might become ill at the last minute forcing you to cancel your trip. If you are (your choice here!) mature or "experienced" YOU might get sick at the last minute forcing you to cancel the trip. If on the other hand you are a teen-aged, independently wealthy rock star whose parents have dis-owned you and you have no children (that you claim)well...go for it!
Rick

Posts: 18 | From: Sarasota,Fl USA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)  

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | CruisePage

Infopop Corporation
Ultimate Bulletin BoardTM 6.1.0.3

VACATION & CRUISE SPECIALS
Check out these great deals from CruisePage.com

Royal Caribbean - Bahamas Getaway from $129 per person
Description: Experience the beautiful ports of Nassau and Royal Caribbean's private island - CocoCay on a 3-night Weekend Getaway to the Bahamas. Absorb everything island life has to offer as you snorkel with the stingrays, parasail above the serene blue waters and walk the endless white sand beaches. From Miami.
Carnival - 4-Day Bahamas from $229 per person
Description: Enjoy a wonderful 3 Day cruise to the fun-loving playground of Nassau, Bahamas. Discover Nassau, the capital city as well as the cultural, commercial and financial heart of the Bahamas. Meet the Atlantic Southern Stingrays, the guardians of Blackbeard's treasure.
NCL - Bermuda - 7 Day from $499 per person
Description: What a charming little chain of islands. Walk on pink sand beaches. Swim and snorkel in turquoise seas. Take in the historical sights. They're stoically British and very quaint. Or explore the coral reefs. You can get to them by boat or propelled by fins. You pick. Freestyle Cruising doesn't tell you where to go or what to do. Sure, you can plan ahead, or decide once onboard. After all, it's your vacation. There are no deadlines or must do's.
Holland America - Eastern Caribbean from From $599 per person
Description: White sand, black sand, talcum soft or shell strewn, the beaches of the Eastern Caribbean invite you to swim, snorkel or simply relax. For shoppers, there's duty-free St. Thomas, the Straw Market in Nassau, French perfume and Dutch chocolates on St. Maarten. For history buffs, the fascinating fusion of Caribbean, Latin and European cultures. For everyone, a day spent on HAL's award winning private island Half Moon Cay.
Celebrity - 7-Night Western Mediterranean from $549 per person
Description: For centuries people have traveled to Europe to see magnificent ruins, art treasures and natural wonders. And the best way to do so is by cruise ship. Think of it - you pack and unpack only once. No wasted time searching for hotels and negotiating train stations. Instead, you arrive at romantic ports of call relaxed, refreshed and ready to take on the world.
Holland America - Alaska from From $499 per person
Description: Sail between Vancouver and Seward, departing Sundays on the ms Statendam or ms Volendam and enjoy towering mountains, actively calving glaciers and pristine wildlife habitat. Glacier Bay and College Fjord offer two completely different glacier-viewing experiences.

| Home | About Us | Suggest-a-Site | Feedback | Contact Us | Privacy |
This page, and all contents, are © 1995-2021 by Interactive Travel Guides, Inc. and/or its suppliers. All rights reserved.
TravelPage.com is a trademark of Interactive Travel Guides, Inc.